Maybe Steel rules... after all! - Page 6 - SailNet Community
 9Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #51 of 86 Old 10-08-2013
Last Man Standing
 
smackdaddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 14,479
Thanks: 150
Thanked 143 Times in 136 Posts
Rep Power: 9
     
Re: Maybe Steel rules... after all!



Ah - so this is the Gringo that you keep referring to Brent. I'd tried to find something on it, but like the others above, couldn't.

In the BS Marketing Program, you keep bringing up this boat in relation to the Sleavin family disaster...saying that had they been in one of your boats (Is Gringo yours?) "they'd still be a alive today". You also use the baseball bat and tin can analogy in that argument.

So, looking at that picture above - then comparing it to the tanker that actually hit the Sleavins at cruising speed - and the markings on the bow...





Do you really think the impacts were equivalent?


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40

Last edited by smackdaddy; 10-08-2013 at 12:54 PM.
smackdaddy is offline  
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #52 of 86 Old 10-08-2013
Last Man Standing
 
smackdaddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 14,479
Thanks: 150
Thanked 143 Times in 136 Posts
Rep Power: 9
     
Re: Maybe Steel rules... after all!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resolute_ZS View Post
So Brent, you triple-posted in a five year old thread? Newbie mistake, man.

I just like the fact that the triple-facepalm poster has a misspelling.



To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
smackdaddy is offline  
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
post #53 of 86 Old 10-08-2013
Kayaker/Dreamer
 
Resolute_ZS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 141
Thanks: 2
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Rep Power: 3
 
Re: Maybe Steel rules... after all!

Haha, smack - I saw the typo after it was posted, and then I couldn't unsee it. I just liked the image too much to change it
Resolute_ZS is offline  
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
post #54 of 86 Old 10-08-2013
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: British Columbia
Posts: 2,587
Thanks: 20
Thanked 40 Times in 38 Posts
Rep Power: 4
 
Re: Maybe Steel rules... after all!

Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post


Ah - so this is the Gringo that you keep referring to Brent. I'd tried to find something on it, but like the others above, couldn't.

In the BS Marketing Program, you keep bringing up this boat in relation to the Sleavin family disaster...saying that had they been in one of your boats (Is Gringo yours?) "they'd still be a alive today". You also use the baseball bat and tin can analogy in that argument.

So, looking at that picture above - then comparing it to the tanker that actually hit the Sleavins at cruising speed - and the markings on the bow...





Do you really think the impacts were equivalent?
No Gringo was not one of mine , but steel of a given thickness doesn't behave differently, depending on the brand name of what it is used for. The freighter in the photo appears to have a considerably blunter bow than the one which hit the Gringo. It would have done about the same damage however. The real question is your implication that a plastic boat would have fared better than the Gringo.

As you have said, you have no credibility .(ie. no experience in the subject at hand)
Could someone please move this photo to "the pros and cons of steel boats" thread?

Brent Swain, Boat designer, Builder, and author of "Origami Metal Boatbuilding"

Last edited by Brent Swain; 10-08-2013 at 10:08 PM.
Brent Swain is offline  
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
post #55 of 86 Old 10-08-2013
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: British Columbia
Posts: 2,587
Thanks: 20
Thanked 40 Times in 38 Posts
Rep Power: 4
 
Re: Maybe Steel rules... after all!

Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
I just like the fact that the triple-facepalm poster has a misspelling.

What does this photo have do with steel boats?

Brent Swain, Boat designer, Builder, and author of "Origami Metal Boatbuilding"
Brent Swain is offline  
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
post #56 of 86 Old 10-08-2013
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: British Columbia
Posts: 2,587
Thanks: 20
Thanked 40 Times in 38 Posts
Rep Power: 4
 
Re: Maybe Steel rules... after all!

Quote:
Originally Posted by poopdeckpappy View Post
That damage doesn't look right for some reason, you would think the crushing would have been across the deck and from the toe rail down instead of the waterline up with no deck damage, you would think that the sailboat would have rolled down by starboard and under the bow of the freighter simply do to the angle of the freighters bow.



What??, this thread is 5 yrs old......... sorry
The bulbous bow stopped it from doing that. Stops the boat from going under the ship.

What does 5 years have to do with the subject? I just joined this site much later than that. Is the subject any less relevant today? Does Smack imply that steel behaves differently today than it did 5 years ago?
Smack has a habit of putting his own marks on photos, then saying "Hey looky there!"

Brent Swain, Boat designer, Builder, and author of "Origami Metal Boatbuilding"

Last edited by Brent Swain; 10-08-2013 at 10:49 PM.
Brent Swain is offline  
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
post #57 of 86 Old 10-08-2013
Last Man Standing
 
smackdaddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 14,479
Thanks: 150
Thanked 143 Times in 136 Posts
Rep Power: 9
     
Re: Maybe Steel rules... after all!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Swain View Post
No Gringo was not one of mine , but steel of a given thickness doesn't behave differently, depending on the brand name of what it is used for. The freighter in the photo appears to have a considerably blunter bow than the one which hit the Gringo. It would have done about the same damage however. The real question is your implication that a plastic boat would have fared better than the Gringo.

As you have said, you have no credibility .(ie. no experience in the subject at hand)
Could someone please move this photo to "the pros and cons of steel boats" thread?
Where did you come up with that "implication"? That's not at all what I'm implying.

I'm saying, very clearly, you're full of crap if you really think that freighter that hit the Sleavins at cruising speed would have done the amount of damage to Gringo (or any other small steel sailboat) that we see in that photo. And I'm also saying you're full of crap - and extremely disrespectful/jerky - for continually saying the Sleavins would be alive today if they were in one of your steel boats. You have absolutely no basis in reality for such a statement. It's laughable.

It's really very simple. If you truly believe what you're saying - put it to the test...with your own boat...with you inside...with a freighter that large ramming you at cruising speed. If you're unwilling to do that - then maybe you should come up with a different bucket of crap. Because this one's a major FAIL.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40

Last edited by smackdaddy; 10-08-2013 at 10:21 PM.
smackdaddy is offline  
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
post #58 of 86 Old 10-08-2013
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: British Columbia
Posts: 2,587
Thanks: 20
Thanked 40 Times in 38 Posts
Rep Power: 4
 
Re: Maybe Steel rules... after all!

I don't believe my boat would suffer any more damage than the Gringo did, a dent I wouldn't want to have to fix, because someone selling plastic boat myths thinks I am having too much fun( which I am).
So until you take your plastic boat in front of a freighter to prove how much
less damage it would suffer in the same circumstances, you are full of crap.
He has repeatedly implied that the Sleavins would have been no better off in a boat like the Gringo, than in a plastic boat, a myth which could result in the loss of even more lives, and probably already has.
He has implied that showing respect means absolutely refusing to try to learn anything from the Sleavins tragedy! Trying to figure out how to avoid such tragedies is "disrespectful?"
He implies that giving any of the pros of steel boats is "salesmanship." He implies that cruisers should not be allowed to know the pros of steel boats, from someone with decades of designing building and cruising in one. Smack has made a hobby out of attacking anything and everything I say, regardless of what I say.
He sure sounds like a pedlar of crap to me!
He has stated on another thread that he has no credibility.
Now that's a load of truth!

Brent Swain, Boat designer, Builder, and author of "Origami Metal Boatbuilding"
Brent Swain is offline  
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
post #59 of 86 Old 10-08-2013
Master Mariner
 
capta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: somewhere in the Windward or Leeward Islands
Posts: 2,191
Thanks: 34
Thanked 109 Times in 104 Posts
Rep Power: 5
 
Re: Maybe Steel rules... after all!

"Could someone please move this photo to "the pros and cons of steel boats" thread?"

Brent Swain
Would you please tell me what this aluminum boat has to do with "the pros and cons of steel boats" ?
I don't get it.

"Any idiot can make a boat go; it takes a sailor to stop one." Spike Africa aboard the schooner Wanderer in Sausalito, Ca. 1964.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

facebook.com/svskippingstone
Our Videos;

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
capta is online now  
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
post #60 of 86 Old 10-09-2013
Last Man Standing
 
smackdaddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 14,479
Thanks: 150
Thanked 143 Times in 136 Posts
Rep Power: 9
     
Re: Maybe Steel rules... after all!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Swain View Post
I don't believe my boat would suffer any more damage than the Gringo did, a dent I wouldn't want to have to fix, because someone selling plastic boat myths thinks I am having too much fun( which I am).
So until you take your plastic boat in front of a freighter to prove how much
less damage it would suffer in the same circumstances, you are full of crap.
He has repeatedly implied that the Sleavins would have been no better off in a boat like the Gringo, than in a plastic boat, a myth which could result in the loss of even more lives, and probably already has.
Sorry, bro...you lose again. I never implied/stated/etc. that a plastic boat would fare well in a collision with a large freighter like the one above that hit the Sleavins. I don't believe that for a second.

It is YOU who states that "they would still be alive if they were in one of your boats - or a boat like Gringo". THIS is a myth. Why? Because you have absolutely no real evidence to back this up - apart from a photo of a boat with a dent it that appears to have come from something MUCH smaller and moving FAR slower than the freighter in the photo above.

So, you don't believe your boat would fare any worse than Gringo in a collision with that freighter at speed in the Sleavin case? Let's see some real data - either numbers you can produce, or a test you're willing to provide with one of your actual boats. Otherwise - you're creating myths....not me. And it is your myth that will get people killed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Swain View Post
He implies that giving any of the pros of steel boats is "salesmanship." He implies that cruisers should not be allowed to know the pros of steel boats, from someone with decades of designing building and cruising in one. Smack has made a hobby out of attacking anything and everything I say, regardless of what I say.
He sure sounds like a pedlar of crap to me!
He has stated on another thread that he has no credibility.
Now that's a load of truth!
Remember, I don't attack or argue with "anything and everything" you say. Not by any means. I ONLY point out the stuff that is not honest, misleading, hypocritical, and ridiculous. It only appears to you that that's "anything and everything" due to the volume of these things in your posts.

See, I don't need to "attack" what you say, I just need to present it, in your own words, to prove my point - as I've done here:

BS Yachts Marketing Program

So keep trying dude. Because you haven't dug out of that hole yet.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40

Last edited by smackdaddy; 10-09-2013 at 06:20 PM.
smackdaddy is offline  
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.


User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Rust Never Sleeps John Kretschmer Buying a Boat Articles 0 02-27-2003 07:00 PM
Rust Never Sleeps John Kretschmer Gear and Maintenance Articles 0 02-27-2003 07:00 PM
Understanding the Racing Rules, Part Three Dean Brenner Racing Articles 0 09-09-2002 08:00 PM
Understanding the Racing Rules Dan Dickison Racing Articles 0 02-10-2002 07:00 PM
Understanding the Racing Rules Dan Dickison Her Sailnet Articles 0 02-10-2002 07:00 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome