Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-09-2013
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
Re: Maybe Steel rules... after all!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbrasi View Post
Wow- I have zero interest in this subject, started reading and got sucked all the way in! The back story is brilliant, especially the part that includes Mr. Perry. Brent, I don't know who you are or what you are selling, but for the love of all that is good, just.. stop. Stop before someone edits your dialog into that scene in Downfall.
Oh that's a great idea.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-09-2013
Taking it day by day

DJR351 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
Thanks for the additional info DJ. Where did the collision happen exactly? And what were the conditions? Do you know? I'm curious about the speed of the ship in the Gringo case.

The feeder container ship makes much more sense in terms of the apparent damage to Gringo than the full-size 27,000 ton freighter like the one in the Sleavin's case (the Pan Grace). Definitely different animals.

(PS - Brent's going to be very dismayed that Gringo isn't steel. He'll have to come up with a new example to try to prove his point.)
I memory serves i think it was of Portugal, canít add much more as the safety flash was generated by our company as only a reminder to watch keepers about the importance of maintaining a proper lookout, it was in no way an investigative report.

The damage though is not so much to do with the size of the vessel doing the hitting; itís that she was in ballast with her bulbous bow above the water line. I have no doubt that if the feeder was loaded to her designed capacity the damage would have been catastrophic and gringo would have been on the bottom, the bulbous bow served to punch Gringo aside instead of been hit by the knife like edge of the plating above.

There is a tide in the affairs of men which taken advantage of at the flood, leads over the reef, on to adventure. Those men who fore go this high water of their life are forever left to ponder, a life bound wallowing in the shallows.......Julius Caesar
Old 10-09-2013
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJR351 View Post
I memory serves i think it was of Portugal, canít add much more as the safety flash was generated by our company as only a reminder to watch keepers about the importance of maintaining a proper lookout, it was in no way an investigative report.

The damage though is not so much to do with the size of the vessel doing the hitting; itís that she was in ballast with her bulbous bow above the water line. I have no doubt that if the feeder was loaded to her designed capacity the damage would have been catastrophic and gringo would have been on the bottom, the bulbous bow served to punch Gringo aside instead of been hit by the knife like edge of the plating above.
Gotcha. That makes perfect sense. Thanks DJ.

Old 10-10-2013
Frozen Member

AlaskaMC is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Swain View Post
In reading Smack's posts, one should bear in mind that he automatically attacks any, and every suggestion of anything positive about steel boats, without having any experience whatsoever in cruising in , maintaining long term , nor building or designing a steel boat.
In other words, on the subject of steel boats, he simply doesn't know his ass from a hole in the ground, and never will, meaning his posts are completely worthless.
Brent,

Just a piece of advise. You are a writer, builder and designer according to your signature. You are trying to sell, convince, prove (choose your word) your product over others. Smack is a member of a sailing forum that has found your approach very offensive. But he is NOT trying to sell me something. This makes your attacks on him appear very inappropriate while his not so much. I am in a business myself where I am often attacked as part of the sales cycle. If I behaved as you do in response I would have no customers in short order. I can even remember early in these threads where Smack was supporting you somewhat. It wasn't STEEL that turned opinions, it was STYLE.

As someone reading this for information from the outside in, it seems that the members of sailnet seem to like STEELE and SWAIN better than you do. Bob's right, you seem very angry. There are a lot of people very interested in your ideas here. No need to attack everyone so much. Let your product speak for itself, leave the FUD (Fear, uncertainty, and doubt) factor selling at the door. It rarely (if ever) works and always makes one look bad.
smackdaddy likes this.
Old 10-10-2013
Last Man Standing

You know, I had completely forgotten about this little gem. This is an 870', 120,000-ton tanker t-boning a plastic 33' racing boat...ON VIDEO:

The boat was dismasted when the spi caught the anchor, but it didn't sink, and was towed into port show showing no catastrophic hull damage.

Maybe I was wrong to assume a plastic boat wouldn't fare better than a metal one. Just look at the evidence!

How is this possible, Brent? Maybe Plastic Rules After All.

Last edited by smackdaddy; 10-10-2013 at 06:07 PM.
Old 10-10-2013
grumpy old man

bobperry will become famous soon enough

Divine intervention?
Has to be.

Bob's Blog ....

Old 10-10-2013
Last Man Standing

What's particularly funny is that all the guys on the boat are Royal Navy. Nice career move.

Old 10-10-2013

jak3b is on a distinguished road

The boat would have been fine if they hadnt caught there spinnaker on the anchor.maybe steel spinnakers?.
smackdaddy likes this.
Old 10-10-2013

jak3b is on a distinguished road

But if I am going out on one of these new fangled grp boats I am going to at least be dressed properly.And the doggie to.
Attached Thumbnails
Maybe Steel rules... after all!-ar007bk_black_knight_armor_torso.jpg   Maybe Steel rules... after all!-organic-armor-dogs.jpg  
bobperry likes this.
Old 10-11-2013
grumpy old man

bobperry will become famous soon enough

Jak: I agree, you have to dress right.
Attached Thumbnails
Maybe Steel rules... after all!-spikeviking2.jpg  

Bob's Blog ....