SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (sailing related) (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/)
-   -   Maybe Steel rules... after all! (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/39817-maybe-steel-rules-after-all.html)

Faster 01-12-2008 12:59 AM

Maybe Steel rules... after all!

This is one for Val and Wombat!

Some of you may have seen this already, found it on SA.

Allegedly the story is this boat got rolled by a freighter (I'm thinking a small one if actually true) Anyway, he's gotta be glad it was a steel boat. Apparently the mast, though upright, is a bit shorter than original too.

At anchor in Las Palmas after the incident.

http://i213.photobucket.com/albums/c...n20contest.jpg

jrd22 01-12-2008 02:01 AM

OUCH! I'm trying to imagine what my fiberglas boat would look like after an impact like that. Pretty sure you would need an underwater camera to get a picture of it:-((. Must be a well built boat to still be floating. Is the guy onboard talking on a cellphone? Insurance agent maybe?

John

sailingdog 01-12-2008 03:49 AM

I'm thinking that it made a really loud gong-like noise... :)

TSteele65 01-12-2008 09:20 AM

A little hammering, a little Bondo, and she's back in business.

teshannon 01-12-2008 09:48 AM

I'll bet that's his insurance agent he's talking to.

sailingdog 01-12-2008 12:14 PM

Nah, he's calling Maaco...to find out if they do boats. :)
Quote:

Originally Posted by teshannon (Post 249138)
I'll bet that's his insurance agent he's talking to.

Valiente 01-12-2008 01:33 PM

Laugh if you dare, bath toy sailors! Gringo doesn't look as if she took on a drop.

Seriously, though, I don't know if that's fixable in the same sense that if a car's frame is bent, it's not necessarily worth repairing; you'd have to remove the entire saloon (and maybe more) to check the state of the welds and to cut out all the affected frames and stringers.

Frankly, it would be easier to cut off the entire front of the boat and reweld a new bow on. Whether you could find an insurer willing to pop for the tens of thousands necessary in order to do this is another thing entirely.

I do find it reassuring that the fellow in question got back (presumably under his own power), with no loss of his rig and still able to anchor. Any glass or wood boat hit by what I assume was a bow bulb "T-bone" would've just been some stays and turnbuckles wrapped around the bow in the next port.

Viva steel!

sailingdog 01-12-2008 02:25 PM

Of course, Valiente is neglecting the fact that a lighter boat may have been damaged far less in the same situation, since the bow wave of the boat might have pushed a lighter boat clear. This actually was the case of a fiberglass boat that got hit by a container ship a while back, every one on it survived, even though, IIRC, the captain thought she was doomed and dived overboard just prior to impact. Lost part of the rigging and had a crack in the hull... both were made good.

werebeagle 01-12-2008 02:26 PM

I think the guy's calling to have some new underwear delivered to the boat. :D

Faster 01-12-2008 02:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Valiente (Post 249186)
I do find it reassuring that the fellow in question got back (presumably under his own power), with no loss of his rig and still able to anchor. Any glass or wood boat hit by what I assume was a bow bulb "T-bone" would've just been some stays and turnbuckles wrapped around the bow in the next port.

Viva steel!

Val - if you look closely I don't think there are any upper shrouds still in place... I suspect he's lost the stick above the spreaders. The boom is off too, probably because of no way to hold it up anymore.

In any event, you're right, I can't imagine too many plastic fantastics surviving a collision like that, SDs "pressure wave push" aside (and I don't think I'd want to bet the bank on that :eek: )