Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-13-2008

Jim H is on a distinguished road
London BoatShow 2008

Hi, All

We spent the day at the London BoatShow yesterday and had a good time. I've heard about the show for years when I've read about boats: "This boat premiered at the London BoatShow of 1969 and immediately sold 11!"

So, my expectations were a bit high, and we left a bit disappointed. The Southampton BoatShow had more boats on the water to go through, and more vendors and stalls to wander. The Earl's Court Show was smaller, but it was amazingly uncrowded and relaxed. The London show was fun, but in the middle and pretty crowded.

However, there was a great Practical Boat Owner Magazine seminar about anchoring, a life-sized demonstration. My son and I also toured an in-commission British destroyer, the HMS Exeter.

We also boarded an Ovni 435 and enjoyed looking through her. Then we saw a British Hunter Mystery 35, which was much more interesting that we thought it would be. It's a cool combination of a 35 foot daysailor (long open cockpit) and a coastal cruiser interior. Great interior details and design.

Finally, my son's favorite was the Cornish Shrimper 19 coastal cruiser. It's a great traditional design in modern materials, with the best galley of the show (in a 19 foot boat). If only it had a shower stall!

Here's a link to a photo gallery of our visit:

http://www.photos.sailingvoyage.com/v/album_019/

We had some great conversations with other sailors, and learned more about boat ownership in Britain. We're looking forward to our RYA evening courses and cross-channel cruises this spring and summer.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Aurora, a mighty Cal 20 (Portland, OR)
Southern Rival, a seasoned Rival 34 (Gosport, UK)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Jim H; 01-13-2008 at 01:04 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-13-2008

c130king is on a distinguished road
I was there today. I thought it was pretty nice...nicest one I have ever been to at least (which isn't saying much...only been to 2 others). I will definitely go check out Southampton in September.

I do not have a lot of experience shopping for boats at boat shows...especially those in the 32-35' range...but I thought the prices were pretty reasonable for Europe. I was expecting higher prices.

But I will not be buying a boat over here. I will wait until I get back to the states (in 2+ years) and sail the one I have...until I decide to upgrade someday

I will be taking an RYA "Day Skipper" course in February down near Southampton...Hamble Point Marina with British Off Shore Sailing (BOSS). I expect it will be pretty chilly...but I am desperate to get out on the water again.

Jim
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook