SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (sailing related) (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/)
-   -   What makes a good marina? (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/39855-what-makes-good-marina.html)

GerryMH 01-13-2008 02:58 PM

What makes a good marina?

In your opinion what are the criteria for creating a good marina?

What do you feel is vital to provide for the cruiser and what are the optional extras that you would like to see?

And which is the 'best' marina that you think there is?
To start it off I would nominate Puerto Calero in Lanzarote, top class in every respect.

www.gerryantics.blogspot.com

blt2ski 01-13-2008 03:19 PM

Not sure what makes a good marina, other than for those of that that do not cruise full time, one that is close, clean etc.

Then again, Port of Edmonds in Wa St was the US's port of the year in 07. There are at least 4 of us that post on here mooring here. Myself, Tenuki. stillinshock and David whom I am not remembering forum handle at this time.

Not sure that there is a real good what makes one best over another. That is probably like opening can o worms. What I prefer is different that another person will prefer. Compared to Everett, closest to the north, a lot cleaner, Shilshoal to the south, again probably as nice with the new remodel, but an hr away, vs everett at 1.5 hrs, Edmonds, 10 min! puerto calero, hmmm maybe a plane trip away for an afternoon sail? NOT! I am sure it is a nice marina none the less!

Marty

Brezzin 01-13-2008 03:20 PM

That's a difficult question and I think is different for every one. For myself, I like clean, well maintained facilities with a lot of sailboats vs. power boats. I like my marina to have facilities such as a pool for the kids. I want floating docks and easy access to open water vs. up river. I want my marina to qualified service people.
For me, I'm fortunate because cost is less of an issue where with others it is the issue. What's important to you.

GerryMH 01-13-2008 06:13 PM

Well beyond the basics of safe docks, I guess it comes down to cleanliness and friendliness.
I expect reliable power, clean water, wifi. Showers and a restaurant are good, certainly in hotter climates a pool is attractive.
I don't expect to be ripped off financially. I am happy to pay a good price for a good service but I get pretty pissed off when I am charged a high price for mediocre to poor service and/or facilities.
One of my pet grumbles is badly treated local staff in poorer countries who are exploited by the management-nothing can be guaranteed to destroy the atmosphere of a marina faster!

www.gerryantics.blogspot.com

Pamlicotraveler 01-13-2008 06:58 PM

Having a full-time dockmaster or staff of dockmasters who can keep an eye on boats, especially in troubling weather.

The one I recall being impressive is Zahniser's in Solomons Island Md. I was there during a storm and the staff was out in the worst of it with flashlights and walkie talkies. It's anectdotal since I was just there for that one storm, but it is what you would like to see - marina staff braving the weather to check on boats.

JohnRPollard 01-14-2008 08:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pamlicotraveler (Post 249636)
Having a full-time dockmaster or staff of dockmasters who can keep an eye on boats, especially in troubling weather.

The one I recall being impressive is Zahniser's in Solomons Island Md. I was there during a storm and the staff was out in the worst of it with flashlights and walkie talkies. It's anectdotal since I was just there for that one storm, but it is what you would like to see - marina staff braving the weather to check on boats.

I'm not surprised to hear you mention Zahniser's, and I don't think your experience was anomalous. They're considered one of if not the best on the Chesapeake.

But I actually prefer the simpler format, without a pool, restaurant, etc. I like the older working yards, with both travel lifts and marine railways, the kind of yard that old wooden boats and big yachts alike come to for their service, with a well stocked chandlery onsite.

And my kids would say that a rope swing by the water is a high priority!

PBzeer 01-14-2008 08:41 PM

A good shower, good washer and dryer, and a nearby grocery store. A courtesy car or shuttle is also a plus.

NauticalFishwife 01-14-2008 09:46 PM

Zahnisers is great and I try to get there at least once during the season. Their staff does the best giving directions to a slip. Where we keep our boat I like the fact that the owner is always there. On any given day he is as likely to be running the travel lift as he is to be sitting in his office.During rough weather they walk the docks checking on the boats-ready to tend to dock lines if they need to. And it's a very protective marina but less than a nautical mile from the bay. When we cruise I keep notes on the marinas we visit - even noting the easy to get in slips and never hesitate to ask for those. I've found most marinas are more than willing to help you out with transportation, you simply have to ask.

SVAuspicious 01-14-2008 09:54 PM

As noted, different people have different priorities.

I want solid docks with good cleats or pilings, reliable power, good wifi and/or cellular service, cable TV, and very clean heads/showers/laundry. Showers and the floors outside them should drain well and fast. Extra credit for a short walk to decent food.

I don't care about beaches, pools, tennis courts, or golf courses.

chef2sail 01-14-2008 11:54 PM

Zanheisers is great..always stay there when down in Solomons.

Utschs in Cape May...owned by the same family for over 60 years

I like clean showers, clean bathrooms, close to a store/ bar/ restaurant are just add ons if possible.

There are many nice marinas on the Chesapeake

We belong to a club with 125 slips, pool, restaurant, and a full time person who manages the place year round to watch the boats as well as upkeep the property. You can virtually sailout of your slip into the Patapasco and 5 miles the Chesapeake. I like the variety of sailing the river to Inner harbor when the Bay is blowing 35-40

Dave