Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-17-2008
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by MidLandOne View Post
Don't be a silly wombat Wombat - how can Auckland be compared to Sydney .

Auckland (and all other NZ cities too, just to keep the baying Aucklanders at bay ) is just yet another smallish city among many thousands in the world scheme of things whereas Sydney really is recognised as a world class city. Auckland hasn't even got a decent looking harbour bridge and someone missed an opporunity there (and just to keep the Aucklanders at bay, I am the first to concede that no other NZ city has a harbour bridge at all) although I anticipate we will soon learn some aspect of it that makes it unique in the world .

Whether one wants to live in a world class city or not is another matter I guess. But all of Melbourne, Sydney and Brisbane outclass any city in NZ from the being a city point of view as well as far as many other attractions too. Well, that is just in my opinion and not really sure which I would pick to live in although it is something we have pondered over.

I am told that Adelaide is quite a nice place to live from the sailing point of view but not so good from the work point of view? Don't know myself as have never been there.

Hobart reminds me alot of a low rainfall Dunedin and nearly as cold as Dunedin in winter but is warm by NZ standards in every other season. Alot of Australian "mainland" people seem to be keen to buy property there so they must find some attraction to it.

When I get asked by prospective immigrants which of Australia or NZ I would recommend my answer has always to be Australia unless there is some specific attraction in NZ that they particularly want. About the only downside I see is that an awful lot of it is flat and brown else is scrub/eucalypts/acacias. In the end, the 30,000 odd or whatever it is NZ'ers that head there to live each year can't be wrong .
If what Sydney is today makes it a world class city then you can have your world class cities as far as I'm concerned. My comparing Auckland to Sydney was not based on bridges or opera houses but on the fact that they have both grown too far too fast and from all appearances have lost or are losing whatever charm they once had.

I'm an old fart. Lived in Sydney for over fifty years but when I go to Hobart I see a small city , (big town ?) that has a wonderful position, fabulous restaurants and bars, relatively inexpensive real estate and plenty of good book stores. Internet enables you to keep in touch so the 'tyranny of distance' is not so applicable. It also has cruising grounds to rival anywhere on earth. While Hobart is not exactly tropical the climate there is relatively mild if you compare it to North America. You can, if you rug up, sail all year round for instance. Hobart is not even all that wet. The east coast of Tasmania has quite moderate rainfall, most of it in fact falling towards the west. The only thing I'd really miss is the warm water for swimming. You can fly to Sydney in an hour or so and taking advantage of cheap advance purchase tickets, I think the fare is down under AUD100. Much of the same thing could be said of New Zealand, particularly North Island and the Northern tip of the South.

Ok, so their are quite a few rednecks still running loose. I believe by UN convention it's now legal to shoot 'em but there are bag limits and you're not supposed to go for the young ones.

Now, having hijacked yet another thread, let's get back to taws.

New Zealand is an attractive destination and maybe Wellington being smaller has some advantages over Auckland but from an employment perspective Auckland makes the most sense. Australia on the other hand does offer even better employment prospects but Sydney or Melbourne real estate prices will kill you.

Now that wasn't so hard, was it ?

Regarding all those Kiwis moving to Australia, as Piggy Muldoon once famously said, "it simply raises the average IQ of both nations".

ps -Omatako, I find it hard to believe that an immigration permit (which I take to mean permanent residency, being one step short of citizenship) could under Australian law, limit anyone from moving around the country, at least on a permanent basis. Temporary visa maybe but not permanent residency.

"Do you think God gets stoned? I think so... Look at the platypus." Robin Williams.

Last edited by tdw; 01-17-2008 at 05:23 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-18-2008

MidLandOne is on a distinguished road
Yes I like Hobart too and have had the good fortune to visit often over recent years working. Easy commute too from some nice places down the Derwent towards the sea, etc. Salamanca place is nice with good (and occasional not so good) restaurants. No bookshops the likes of Borders, etc but ok shops, especially for Australian books - is a very good second hand one in Salamanca upstairs with very high quality stock, but forgotten its name?

One thing that surprised me, visited a wineshop along the waterfront area with a visitor from Melbourne and it stocked basically just with Tasmanian wines. I hadn't realised there were so many wine producers in Tasmania before.

Unfortunately the only part of Tasmania I have seen land and sea is the area around Hobart. Some US cruising friends said they were just going to spend a year in Australia - they ended up spending that long in Tasmania .

Omatako - Yes a lot of people from around the country keep their boats in the Marlborough Sounds/Tasman Bay area and that certainly is a good indicator of the quality of cruising there. Nowhere near the best in the world but certainly the best sheltered and semi sheltered cruising in NZ. From your comments it seems you don't realise that it is much easier to get to there from Wellington, Christchurch, etc than it is from Auckland (but that a blessing I would have thought) .
Old 01-20-2008

Omatako will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdw View Post
ps -Omatako, I find it hard to believe that an immigration permit (which I take to mean permanent residency, being one step short of citizenship) could under Australian law, limit anyone from moving around the country, at least on a permanent basis. Temporary visa maybe but not permanent residency.
Wombat - a far as I recollect they were required to stay in Melbourne for a period of two years. Sorry, I may have created the incorrect impression that they are still confined.

MidLandOne - sure I realise that Auckland is further (I live here ) but what I was trying to say is that when living in Auckland one doesn't have to travel far to get great sailing. Those poor sailors in Christchurch have only the Banks Peninsula and that will get boring quite quickly.

BTW I have been told by sailors who have sailed Marlborough and Pelorous Sounds that with the high cliffs and deep gorges, these areas are more suited to powered vessels than sailing boats. Haven't experienced it myself yet.

Andre
Old 01-20-2008

MidLandOne is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omatako View Post
BTW I have been told by sailors who have sailed Marlborough and Pelorous Sounds that with the high cliffs and deep gorges, these areas are more suited to powered vessels than sailing boats. Haven't experienced it myself yet.
There are no "high cliffs or deep gorges" in the Marlborough Sounds - well not by NZ standards anyway and at least not in the places I've frequented. But the area is generally hilly with hundreds (probably thousands) of small and bigger bays and many long arms, some narrow and some wide.

But there are also open expanses of water fine for sailing especially in the outer Sounds. There is also the big area from the northern entrance of Queen Charlotte Sound out to D'Urville Island, etc past The Chetwodes, etc which is semi sheltered in that it doesn't suffer the same weather extremes as does Cook Strait south of The Brothers islands.

It is rarely completely calm in the area though, especially the outer Sounds, and some "sailing" people not used to wind find that a worry .

If you want some photos put up just to get an idea of the place just say but won't bore people with them otherwise as there are plenty of nice and even nicer places around the world (just not in NZ though )