Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-14-2008

mugsy is on a distinguished road
Cool anchoring bow and stern

My wife and I will be bareboating in the Whitsundays Islands this coming March. We have rented a Oceanis 393 for the 2 of us. Last May we bareboated in the Sea of Cortez and anchored with just the bow anchor without any problems. Mainly mud and sand and very little tidal action. I've been told that in the Whitsundays (Queensland, Great Barrier Reef) we may need to add a stern anchor to the equation. I would appreciate any tips and techniques for adding this stern anchor. Specifics and details are all welcome.
Thanks,
Mugsy
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-14-2008
Larus Marinus

Idiens is on a distinguished road
Books are written about anchoring. The Rocnar school will be around soon.

I carry a kedge with 12 m of chain and 100 m of rope. The Bower has 50 m of chain and 50 m of rope (when needed).

My general plan, having chosen the spot, is to motor slowly up wind/current, dropping the buoyed kedge and paying out line under tension from the stern until I reach the point to drop the buoyed Bower. Then put the motor out of gear, haul in on the kedge rode and let out the Bower until in the centre. The buoys give an indication of where the centre is and warn late comers that I have two anchors out. I usually go for 4:1 scope unless the situation makes more look desirable.
Old 01-14-2008

trantor12020 is on a distinguished road
Pls advise benefit of using bow & stern anchor. What if you're taught with strong wind coming from abeam? Would it "flip" the boat?? Would tandem anchor be better if swing room is not an issue? I'm just curious as I've never tried bow+stern anchoring.
Old 01-14-2008
Larus Marinus

Idiens is on a distinguished road
I have only ever used it in a narrow shallow waterway with a tidal current. Swinging on a single anchor with useful scope meant that one might swing onto the bank/go aground/into the main channel with a falling tide.

There are a few places where the mooring buoys are On-A-Trot, and one is required to moor fore and aft between pairs of them.
Old 01-14-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
A couple of the advantages of anchoring bow and stern are:

It reduces the swinging room required by the boat. This allows more boats to anchor in a given area.

It allows you to use anchors like the Danforth in areas with reversing currents, which would otherwise cause the anchors to pull out. Fluke-type anchors don't reset well and don't handle direction changes very well.

It can keep the boat in a specific position more readily than other forms of anchoring... for instance, if you're planning on letting the boat dry out at low tide, and want to keep it over a mud or sand bank while the tide goes out.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 01-14-2008

Boasun will become famous soon enough Boasun will become famous soon enough
This is known as a "Stream Mooring" and is used often enough to have a specific name. Have used it with ships and boats.
Plant your bower first and back carefully letting out twice the rode you would normally use.
Then plant your stern anchor and heave around on the bow rode as you ease forward with your engine. Paying out the stern anchor rode carefully so that it won't get caught in your running gear.
This is a good anchoring system where you have reversing currents. Have the stern down stream because the flood current is normally less then the ebb current.
And after is all said and done. Set the anchor watch and relax as you go about your daily in port routine.
Old 01-15-2008

trantor12020 is on a distinguished road
Ok, so reference is to the tide and not so much the wind. I've a sugar scoop stern so just wondering when the stern faces the incoming tide, would the tide get wash into the cockpit ? My swim platform is just couple of inches from water, then the cockpit sole is another 8-10 inches up. Just wondering.
Old 01-15-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
trantor-

Unless you're on such short scope or taut anchor lines, the boat can't rise with the incoming tide, that shouldn't be much of an issue. You might get a bit of splashing into the cockpit, but shouldn't get much more than that.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.