Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-14-2008

jonb is on a distinguished road
Recommended Engine for Walker Bay 310 RID (10ft)

I have going through the dinghy decision tradeoffs and am likely to go with a Walker Bay 310 RID (10').

I was considering either an inflatable RIB (10') with 9.9hp outboard as a fast, heavy carrier with the obvious issues of motor weight, lousy rowing etc.

vs a lower power, lighter motor solution of a Walker Bay 10 with the RID kit with a 6hp motor (max rated and considerably smaller/lighter than a 9.9hp).
We want something that in most cases will be rowed but occasionally will be used to get around with the motor.
Given that the Walker Bay is not a planing hull does it benefit from a 6hp or should I go to a 3.5hp for a lighter still solution.
If anyone has experience with a motor on the Walker bay 10 (or 310) it would be appreciated.
Old 01-14-2008
'72 Pearson 36

SVDistantStar is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to SVDistantStar
I had a walker bay 10 for awile. I mostly rowed it, but did use a motor on it for a little wile. My motor was a 1991 Johnson 3hp. It pushed it ok, but it made one hell of a wake at full speed.

I sold it and went back to my Avon since it was too heavy to haul up on deck. Also the 3hp makes my Avon plane off.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1972 Pearson 36 S.V. Distant Star
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 01-14-2008

jonb is on a distinguished road
I too am concerned about the weight of the Walker Bay 10 but felt I could handle the weight of the boat on a halyard lift more readily than the weight of a larger outboard. The dinghy would only be lifted for storage when the boat is not in use as normally it would be towed. Maybe this thinking needs to be revisited and I should look for a lighter, rowable solution with a modest motor.

Any other input on the weight of the Walker Bay 10 as well as whether there is any performance benefit to going with a 3.5hp vs a 6hp would be appreciated.
The Walker Bay data suggest you can get to 12mph with a 6hp. It sounds like it might be optimistic.
Old 05-04-2009

mountforever is on a distinguished road
I too would be interested- I was thinking about getting the Walker Bay 8' rigid dinghy with the RID kit and trying an 8hp 2 stroke suzuki (Which tend to be fairly light)
Old 05-04-2009

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail
Last year we bought a Walker bay Odessey Air Floor 270 AF (8ft 10 in). The advanatage was its weight as well as the 17" tubes and the many D rings and 4 lifting rings for the davits we have all ready installed in the tender. ($1000 at Defender) Very stable tender with a maxc load over 1100 lbs but easy to stow delated in the bow area for long trips like when we go to Mystic this summer and dont want it hanging off the davits in the ocean.

With it we coupled a new 4 HP 4 stroke Tahatsu. Plenty of power for what we use it for. Not really caring about planing either. The advantage of the of the 4 hp vs the 3.5 hp was it had an integrel tank + a connection for an external tank. Anything small hp did not. we bought a 3 gallun moeller external with a quick connect so we can take long cruises up some of the rivers and creeks here in the Chesapeake our main cruising grounds.

Dave

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
The Following User Says Thank You to chef2sail For This Useful Post:
Jiminri (3 Weeks Ago)
Old 05-04-2009

jgeissinger is on a distinguished road
I have had a Walker Bay 10 for some years now, and have used a variety of outboards on it. For putting around the marina or going from boat to shore, a 2hp works fine, We used a 3hp and made 3-4 mile ocean trips along the shoreline at Catalina at 4-5 kts loaded. A later 4hp made the same trips at 5-6 hp heavily loaded. It has great interior room and a dry ride through chop. (This is the non-inflatable, rigid hull version) We got it up to 8-9kts with a 6hp, but that is really pushing it. It only barely partially planes, it's a displacement hull, after all. A 9.9 would be useless weight and money. A 3-5hp lightweight 2 stroke would be my recommendation.
Old 05-06-2009
Salty

MSter is on a distinguished road
I recently purchased the 310 RID and use a 4hp merc 4strk. This seems (to me) an optimal combination. I have found I mostly row this dink as I am able to anchor close to my destination with only a 3'8 draft. I have used the engine for poking around more distant shorlines and the 4hp is perfect. Good power for the weight and the tank is still internal with no mixing. Overall I am very pleased with the Walker Bay. It is roomy, very stable with the RID, and IMO more versital than most other dinks I have looked at.

I initially tried to store the dink on my foredeck. This was quite a chore as it took up ALL my foredeck real estate to the point I could not untie the bow lines or even get to my anchor. So, needing to store it when not in use, I installed davits on my boat which seems overkill on a '27 but I only use them when docked at my home port. When underway I tow the dink and keep the motor secured to the stern rail.

Bottom line...I think the 310 RID with 4hp is a great combo. I have no doubt this dink will far outlast the engine, which will be replaced with another 4hp.
Old 07-31-2009

Aloha82 is on a distinguished road
WB 310 Rid

The WB310 will not plane. I would opt for a 6hp (max rating with an inflatable tube option) for heavy hauling. I use the Merc 3.3 2-stroke on mine. I opted for this engine because it is verly light (abt 30 lbs). The stern plows badly in this boat. Heavy motor + operator is a bad combo. I have my passengers sit up front to help level it out. My crazy brother has a 8 hp on his and he installed whale fins on his motor to help dip the bow. Hope this helps.
Old 3 Weeks Ago

bigbrownpilot is on a distinguished road
Re: Recommended Engine for Walker Bay 310 RID (10ft)

I know this is an old thread, but we're also considering a Walker Bay 275 or 310 RID for our Hunter 380. We have a Lehr 2.5 propane short shaft engine, which I think would do great on the 275 but might be a but underpowered on the 310. I don't think we would ever try to haul it onto the deck since we're looking at either the Ocean Marine Systems davit kit or possibly a Weaver tip-up system. If we get the tip, up, we would probably only use it in port and would tow the WB while underway. My wife would prefer the 310 because of the nonskid floor panel, but I've been favoring the 275 for lighter weight and the fact that the Lehr 2.5 will probably work great on that size boat. Would love to hear thoughts and comments from anyone who has experience with the WB RID.
Old 3 Weeks Ago
Master Mariner

capta is on a distinguished road
Re: Recommended Engine for Walker Bay 310 RID (10ft)

Each boat sold in the US has a plaque on it with the max payload, POB and HP rating on it. I would guess this information is available through the vender or manufacturer, as well.
Given the maximum POB and HP rating you can then figure the optimum HP for your needs; One person, less HP, 2 or 3 people then more HP to achieve your desired speed/comfort.
Then its a simple matter of going to the bank and taking a second (or is it third?) mortgage out on your home, to finance your dink.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.