Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-14-2008

Mollusk is on a distinguished road
Rear pulpit mounted dinghy - Bad idea?

Id like to mount my dinghy, which I am custom building, to my rear pulpit. I want to build a system (not too cumbersome) that will hold, hoist, and drop my dinghy into the water in an uprite position (the dinghy would sit on the mount like it would in the water). I curious why I dont see this done more often. Does anyone know if this would cause wind drag? Are there any reasons not to do this besides space limitations from the overhang? Cheers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 01-14-2008

svindigo is on a distinguished road
This is not an uncommon activity. If you look up dinghy davits or arch davits on google you will see many executions. Particular considerations vary by boat type (dinghy and mothership) and deck arrangement. Good luck with your project.
Old 01-14-2008

GerryMH is an unknown quantity at this point
What sort of sailing are you intending to do?

If you are going offshore or regularly sail in heavy conditions i would not think this is to be recommended.
Windage and the possibility of having the whole catastrophe swept away would be my main concerns...

www.gerryantics.blogspot.com
Old 01-14-2008
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
The success of this approach depends on the size/weight of the boat, the dinghy, and the transom design of the "mothership".

This can put a lot of weight at the back of the boat and upset the trim. Some windage can be expected, but that may not be a major concern. The extended length will be counted by marinas in calculating moorage fees. If the dinghy is overly long and protrudes outside the beam of the boat this can cause issues with docking too.

Should the dinghy ever get full of water (excessive rain or getting "pooped" at sea) the tremendous weight this produces could be a huge problem.

Finally, hopefully you are not relying on the stern pulpit attachments to support this venture... in no way are these attachments engineered for the additional stresses that the dinghy and davits would cause.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 01-14-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Mollusk-

Welcome to sailnet.

It would help if you said what boat you want to do this on. If you have a IP40, then it might make a lot of sense... however, on a Cape Dory 25, it probably is a bad, bad idea.

Dinghies on davits work pretty well when coastal cruising, but on a bluewater passage, the dinghy is very susceptible to getting filled with water and severely damaged. What kind of sailing do you plan to do and what area are you sailing in?

BTW, building your own davits may be more expensive than buying them. Garhauer Marine makes some excellent dinghy davits for a reasonable price.

I'd also recommend you read this post to get the most of your time on Sailnet.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 01-14-2008

Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice
You mean like this sort..

Are you looking for something like this?

And the dinghy on the davits:

DO NOT USE DAVITS IN ROUGH WEATHER!

© Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.

Last edited by Maine Sail; 01-15-2008 at 07:31 AM.
Old 01-15-2008
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough
What a lovely looking boat Halekai.

"Do you think God gets stoned? I think so... Look at the platypus." Robin Williams.
Old 01-15-2008
Larus Marinus

Idiens is on a distinguished road
I carry my 2.3 m inflatable dinghy on davits on a 11.6m boat, no problems. For ocean crossings, I would shift it inverted to the foredeck or deflate and store it.
Old 01-15-2008

jimmalkin is on a distinguished road
I'll chime in on davits as being a poor idea in rough weather. Delivering a 64' ketch to Antigua from St. Thomas and beating into a head sea, had the rigid dinghy work loose from the davits - in the scramble to secure it, almost had a crew fall off the transom (tethered, but still no fun.) I'm a firm believer in deflating inflatables and lashing rigids on deck. The inflating/deflating and hoisting/deploying isn't that much more time than the davit operation and IMO is sufficiently safer to warrent the time spent. I've also seen bent and broken davits - never sure whether due to collision with docks/pilings or to use or structural fatigue.

Taronga, as pictured, carries the rigid inverted and ahead of the mast on anything other than a daysail in soft conditions. The dinghy sits with its nose in a chock and is lashed with spectra webbing to padeyes. Best of luck with your choice.

White Rabbit
Vineyard Haven
Old 01-15-2008

Mollusk is on a distinguished road
Thanks for the advice. I'm on a fairly beamy 32. I'm not a fan of towing and I would hate to sacrifice my fordeck. I live in the San Juans, which is where I do my sailing, Gulf Islands included. I'm building a little 3 person plywood dinghy, about 7' or so. Maybe I'll just stick with towing.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.