Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-15-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Glad to help. Let us know how you make out with the DS16.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-05-2008

Publius is on a distinguished road
Sea Worthyness

Im purchasing a friends 26 ft sloop (for very cheap). It needs tons of work, a project for sure. Not only would I like to be able to take it up and down the east coast but perhaps even farther. Unfortunately the ship is designed for day/close coastal sailing. What are some good places to start for improving sea worthyness, should I add weight to the keel (swing keel), put in toe rails? High deck rail? second life line? brighter port/starboard lights? what about reinforcing and waterproofing (it has a pop top to the cabin right now). I was thinking of either creating a water tight seal for it in down position, or removing it and creating a permanent arched roof... what is important?
Old 08-05-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Publius-

You really should be starting your own thread, rather than hijacking this one. I'd also recommend you read the post in my signature.

It would help a lot if you said what kind of sloop it was (make/model).

Most of the modifications you've suggested aren't going to help seaworthiness much. The pop top is a serious weakness in a boat that you want to use out of sheltered waters.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 08-05-2008

RickQuann is on a distinguished road
mykengel,

No, not insane, but a little crazy

I once met a fellow who paddled a kayak from Gardner Montana (on the Yellowstone River) down the Missouri to the mouth of the Mississippi. Several years ago, a couple of guys sailed a Hobie 18 from Ft Lauderdale to my hometown in Fredericksburg VA.
Anything is possible.

I'm not familiar with your boat, but at 16' your storage will be limited. You might want to look at products like these, as backups

MOUNTAIN HOUSE: Marine Cuisine Items ( dehydrated freeze dried foods, lightweight, compact and taste pretty good after being "out" a couple of days)

Jetboil Products (a miniscule blow torch that is hang-able)

Katadyn Vario Microfiltration System (fresh water only, to supplement your water supply

Anyway, sounds like a grand adventure!! Good luck to you
Old 08-06-2008

Boasun will become famous soon enough Boasun will become famous soon enough
Go for it and beware of the traffic on those rivers and the ICW. With a small boat like that you can hug the beach and be out of reach.

Maritime Instructor

S/V Rapture
Old 08-06-2008

Capnblu is on a distinguished road
You may not be insane, but others will say you are behind your back anyways. Like some ones signature saying goes, You will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than the things you did. Bon Voyage.
Old 08-06-2008

EdHouston is on a distinguished road
Read Tristen Jones his writings will inspire you!
Old 08-06-2008
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
Ed...you do know that much of what he wrote was pure fiction? Inspirational yes...but take it with a grain of salt. Not saying he was not a great sailor...just only about half as great as he would have us believe!
Wayward Sailor: In Search of the ... - Google Book Search
Old 08-06-2008
A melon with a dream...

mrhoneydew is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up

mykengal,

As has already been stated, many people are more inclined to think you're nuts before you leave but hail you a hero upon your return. Personally I don't put too much stock in what people who never do anything and just go along with the status quo have to say about anything. So no... I would not say you are insane at all. As you will see if you do some poking around about microcruising, what you propose is entirely possible to do. You just have some research and preparation ahead of you is all. By soliciting advice on a forum such as this I would say you are on the right track. Now if you were to say that you just bought your 16 footer and that a daysail one time ten years ago with a friend was the bulk of your experience but that you intended to head out in the next few weeks... then I still wouldn't call you insane. Just stupid. Since this is not the case, I wish you the best of luck. Keep us posted on your progress as you prepare and have questions.

Cheers,

don
Old 08-07-2008
SailGunner

cesarid is on a distinguished road
Yes

Simple answer is yes, you are crazy. As others have said, it can be done. But you would fit the crazy defnition to sail a 16 footer that distance on those waters. The rivers and oceans are worst than nasty at times and you will be putting your life in significant danger in a 16 footer.