Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-15-2008

kananumpua is on a distinguished road
Free documentaries?

This is a continuation of the Deep Water thread

Deep Water

Does anyone know of any other good documentaries, sailing/adventure/educational stuff, or anything else interesting that can be downloaded for free like the Deep Water video. I live on a college campus and am trying to avoid the illegal file sharing stuff (like torrents).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 01-15-2008

sailboy21 is on a distinguished road
Buy the DVD's and support the cruisers that make them. The more you buy the more the few that are making them will continue to make, and IMHO there aren't enough people doing it. They are not working on million dollar budgets.. Think about it.

Last edited by sailboy21; 01-15-2008 at 09:13 PM.
Old 01-15-2008

Wayne25 is on a distinguished road
I joined Netflex for $5/month and they have a lot of sailing DVD's.
1976 #552
Old 01-16-2008

kananumpua is on a distinguished road
I've been thinking about doing the blockbuster version of net flix however the blockbuster here by school has a terrible selection of movies and almost no documentaries. Does anyone know if there is an online version where I can pay a monthly rate and just download the movies. I ask because the connection is rediculously fast here.

Point taken sailboy.
Old 01-16-2008
Cruiser/Lats and Atts TV

Moonfish is on a distinguished road
There are some sailing video podcasts on iTunes that you can get for free, but the selection is limited. And a lot of the good stuff there is just a preview so you go to a web site to get more. Obviously, video sharing sites like YouTube and MetaCafe have a HUGE selection of sailing content, but you end up wading through too many cell phone videos to find a really good one to watch - but there are some really good videos there. Just have to find them. There are sailing videos in the lower right corner of the SailNet Forums home page, too.

Even though some of these sailing web sites require registering/passwords, here are some sites I know of that have a decent selection of FREE streaming or downloadable sailing content:

http://www.t2p.tv (US based racing and regattas, plus other stuff)

http://www.thesailingchannel.com (from Annapolis, variety)

http://www.cruisingworld.com (Variety plus home movies)

http://www.sail.tv (from England, mostly racing content)

http://www.latsandatts.tv (full TV episodes and other stuff)

(Full disclosure: Yes, Lats & Atts TV is our web site, but it's free for anyone to watch, no registering required, and you don't have to buy anything - so I figured it was OK to include.)

And I'll echo what sailboy said, in that there are quite a few people out there documenting their sailing adventures. As you would expect, some are polished productions, and others are fairly amatuerish. Even so, the "non-professional" videos are still entertaining and quite often educational to one degree or another. I like supporting their endeavors so I can see more.

Bottom line, there is a ton of free sailing video out there if you have the time to find it. Not quite as easy as buying or renting a professionally produced full-length DVD and have it delivered to your door/slip to watch on a TV. But, as they say, "It's all good..."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"Always approach the dock at the speed you wish to hit it."
s/v VENUS
1978 North Sea 33 Pilothouse Cutter (Ta Chiao)

Old 01-16-2008
Barquito

Barquito is on a distinguished road
Netflix has unlimited downloads. However, they only have 6,000 titles so far. You still get the DVDs by mail too.
Old 01-16-2008
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about
Kana-
Blockbuster has, or at least had, the same kind of deal as Netflix, where they will send you DVDs in the mail from their national selection. With either one, there's no need to go to the store if you use their mail service.
Netflix did--and I believe still does--throttle their accounts, no matter how many movies they promise you, they used to only mail you one per day, even if you send multiple ones back in the same envelope for replacement. "Limited unlimited".

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.