Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-19-2008

FritzN is on a distinguished road
You Probably Thought I Died

Last year, as some of you may remember, I consulted this board, about various sailboats that I was looking at. I had planned a long retirement cruise that would have started on November 1, 2007. The group was very helpful, and I felt that you all deserved an update.

When you last heard from me, I was about to buy a Mason 44 that was located up in northern Wisconsin. Unfortunately, I had to back out of that purchase due to my wifeís unexpectedly severe spinal surgery. It has now been six months, and she still has a long way to go to a full recovery.

But, I havenít given up my dream to go cruising Ė Iíve just changed the plan. Yesterday I signed a purchase agreement for a home located one house off the Intercoastal Waterway in Ft. Lauderdale. The property has 80 feet on the water, a swimming pool that will speed my wifeís recovery, and a dock that will accommodate up to a 50 foot boat. I have just begun shopping for boats again, but (drum roll) Iíve decided to buy a power boat. (Please donít hate me.)

Now that my residence will be Fort Lauderdale, I want to be able to take advantage of the fishing in the Gulf Stream, and faster crossings to the Bahamas. Iíve also decided that, at my age, the rigors of sailing and exposure to sun and wind are too much for me. My wife, who is very sensitive to the sun, just wouldnít be happy on a sailboat.

As Paul Harvey says, so now you know the whole truth!

Having had three sailboats in my life I know little about power boats. (I did operate my fatherís twin screw Owens 29 way back when.) Iím now looking at fast trawlers in the 34 to 40 foot range. I know this is a sail forum, so if anyone can direct me to a similar site where I can get advice on power boats, Iíd appreciate it.

Thanks for all the help. Youíre a great group of people, and Iíve learned and laughed a lot because of you. If you do see me out there, please donít call me a stink pot, because Iíll always be a sailor at heart.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-19-2008

Freesail99 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to Freesail99
I also had planned to begin cruising starting November 2007. My bypass failed and well it looks like 2008 now. Great news about the house, as we all need a place to dock, now and then ....... My best to your wife and I hope for a full recovery.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 01-19-2008

FritzN is on a distinguished road
I Misquoted Paul Harvey

It should have said, so now you know the whole "story."
Old 01-19-2008

JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by FritzN View Post
Thanks for all the help. Youíre a great group of people, and Iíve learned and laughed a lot because of you. If you do see me out there, please donít call me a stink pot, because Iíll always be a sailor at heart.
FritzN,

I think it was John Lennon who said something like "Life is what happens when you make plans." Kudos to you for adapting to some new and unwelcome changed circumstances. Congratulations on your new home purchase, and no shame in looking at power boats either. Maybe to keep your karma going, you could yield the right of way to some of us tired old wet sailors when we pass in the channel?

P.S. Check out "Passagemaker" magazine as a resource for trawlers, they may have a website/bulletin board too. When you mentioned fast trawlers in the 34-40 foot range, I of course immediately thought of the Pacific Seacraft Fast Trawler 37. It's a wonderful Bruce King design, well built, worth investigating if it's within your budget. Here's an example:http://www.yachtworld.com/core/listi...g_id=1852&url=
Old 01-19-2008
1987 Pearson 27

Joel73 has a spectacular aura about Joel73 has a spectacular aura about Joel73 has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by FritzN View Post
It should have said, so now you know the whole "story."
"And now you know,... the rest of the story."

Good Luck and speedy recovery for your wife.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 01-19-2008

teshannon has a spectacular aura about teshannon has a spectacular aura about teshannon has a spectacular aura about
Smile

Hey best of luck even though you'll be stinking up the Florida coast.
Old 01-19-2008

denby is a jewel in the rough denby is a jewel in the rough denby is a jewel in the rough denby is a jewel in the rough
He's going to buy a ..... a....... uh I can't say it. I hope your wife recovers soon and all is well. Some times life does not go along with your plans so we make the best of it. Sounds like you have done a good job even if you are buying a....... a....... I still can't say it.

Good luck

Be careful or i will do what the voices tell me to do

To get the most from Sailnet, follow the link in
's signature.

Hey stuffit "Get a life"
Old 01-19-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
I wish your wife a speedy recovery.

A multihull sailboat might make as much sense as a power boat. Given the size of the dock you have, and a decent size catamaran would probably be more stable than most powerboats, with better amenities and preclude you from succumbing to the forces of evil.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

óCpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

StillóDON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 01-19-2008
Wandering Aimlessly

PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about
Best of luck to you Fritz and hope your wife recovers speedily and fully.

Dawg - there's not a lot of room in most of those channels around Ft Lauderdale. A Gemini might fit, but I doubt much in the size they are looking for would.

Free, is the heart, that lives not, in fear.
Full, is the spirit, that thinks not, of falling.
True, is the soul, that hesitates not, to give.
Alive, is the one, that believes, in love.
JCP

- Website & Blog

Old 01-19-2008
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
Thanks for the update Fritz...one always wonders about what happens to those who get some advice and have plans and then disappear. Nice to know you've adapted your dream and I'm sure you'll be quite happy in FTL with the Bahamas so close by. All best to ya both!