Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-19-2008

davidpm is on a distinguished road
How small of slip will work

A neighbor I sail with on occasion has a slip at a local marina. The slip is on a floating dock with finger piers. They space the piers is two boats apart. So if both boats are head in, one would board on the port and one on the starboard side. This particular slip has two pilings right in the center to separate the two boats.
I measured from the piling to the finger pier and there is 11’ 6” clearance. The boat my neighbor is thinking of getting has a 10’ 10” beam (Catalina 30).
That’s only 8” which seems too tight to me. It did occur to me that the pilings are spaced about 1/3 from each end so the widest part of the boat is clear so I think it would technically fit.
So my question is just how tight of a dock is possible, reasonable, practical?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-19-2008

bfdtpkt is on a distinguished road
Coming or going you're still only gonna have 4" on each side so you'll be using the pilings bouncing back and forth as you move out, I wouldn't dock there.....
I like some room to use fenders while docked because I don't like touching pilings, docks or other peoples hulls......
just my personal opinion.
Miami Shores, Florida
Old 01-19-2008
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
I know of marinas with about the same clearances.... barely enough for a fender.

What is the tide range, if any? If its minimal it might be practical to pad the piling with some thin foam to help protect the boat. But if it's a difficult cross-wind situation and with a new-to-him boat it could be exciting, esp if shorthanded.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 01-20-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
It'll be pretty dicey every time he tries to leave or enter the slip, given how little margin he has to maneuver in. Is your boat in the slip next to his?? If so, how wide is your boat??

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 01-20-2008

teshannon has a spectacular aura about teshannon has a spectacular aura about teshannon has a spectacular aura about
One would definitely need good rub rails in that situation.
Old 01-20-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Another thing that can help is stringing a line between the two pilings.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 01-20-2008
Senior Moment

SailorMitch will become famous soon enough
My current slip is over-sized for me (a 40 foot slip for a 33 ft boat) and too much room can be just as bad as too little. but I manage nicely. The boat next to me, however, is a Beneteau 393. Its beam barely fits into the slip, which is an increasing problem with older marinas here on the Chesapeake and the newer designs with much more beam than in the past. My neighbors probably have 6 inches on each side, and this is not on floating docks either. They manage but have to put out about a dozen fenders to protect the boat. Even then if there's a hard wind or extra high or low water the fenders can get out of position and the boat rail will rub. I have adjusted the fenders for them many times when I have gone down to the marina and they aren't there.

The good news for them is that when they return to the slip after an outing, they can more or less jam the boat into the slip. With the fingerpier on one side, pilings mid-ship and at the bow, once in they aren't going to blow around much. Fortunately the rubrail on the Bene is just big enough to protect the boat until they can get the fenders into place. They also have put protection of the pilings and the fingerpier, which helps protect the boat as well.

Alas, I am moving to a 35 foot slip on the other side of the marina this coming season so they will have to find a new nieghbor to look out for their boat.

"Compassion and tolerance are not a sign of weakness, but a sign of strength." The Dalai Lama

good planets are hard to find-- a song by steve forbert

I have but one lamp by which my feet are guided, and that is the lamp of experience. I know no way of judging the future but by the past.-- Patrick Henry.
Old 01-20-2008
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
By the sounds of things they should be sorry to lose you, Mitch!

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 01-20-2008

teshannon has a spectacular aura about teshannon has a spectacular aura about teshannon has a spectacular aura about
The other problem I see with such a narrow slip is if it's tidal and not a floating dock you will need to have enough line out to allow for the tide guaranteeing you will be up against the pilings or pier all the time.
Old 01-20-2008
Senior Moment

SailorMitch will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faster View Post
By the sounds of things they should be sorry to lose you, Mitch!
They will, but chances are they will still track me down. I've written about this couple on here before. To me, they represent the norm for new sailors. The Bene 393 is their first sailboat ever. Boat has tons of goodies on it. Upright refrigerator. In-mast furling. Wind generator. The guy tries hard and does pretty well, but has a lot to learn. I could go on with the stories but won't. Nice people and I have helped them whenever I can.

And it gives me all sorts of joy to pass them under sail out on the bay in my old 33 footer.

"Compassion and tolerance are not a sign of weakness, but a sign of strength." The Dalai Lama

good planets are hard to find-- a song by steve forbert

I have but one lamp by which my feet are guided, and that is the lamp of experience. I know no way of judging the future but by the past.-- Patrick Henry.