Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-20-2008

sailhog has a spectacular aura about sailhog has a spectacular aura about
It's odd that they would get pissy when 16 is used everywhere else. They're like those silly Brits driving on the wrong side of the road...
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-20-2008

k1vsk will become famous soon enough
I guess I should have stated it differently:
If you routinely hail on CH16, so will other people and so too will this foster the abuse we all abhore. There is no reason you cannot use CH9 for routine hailing, etc.
The above has nothing to do with the "legality" or just "monitoring".
In other words, if there is some possibility of interfering with an emergency, common sense should dictate using another frequency, even for a short call.
Old 01-20-2008

artbyjody is just really nice artbyjody is just really nice artbyjody is just really nice artbyjody is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by k1vsk View Post
I guess I should have stated it differently:
If you routinely hail on CH16, so will other people and so too will this foster the abuse we all abhore. There is no reason you cannot use CH16 for routine hailing, etc.
The above has nothing to do with the "legality" or just "monitoring".
In other words, if there is some possibility of interfering with an emergency, common sense should dictate using another frequency, even for a short call.

My VHF does not have the ability to determine which channels... its on 16 when underway and if someone hails we go to another channel... but to my knowledge unless you program a VHF to scan multiple channels there is no garuantee that someone trying to hail you has that advantage as well...

S/V "
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
" -
1983, Barberis Show 38! or
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 01-20-2008
Banned

tommyt is on a distinguished road
Again, if yoy\u are in an area where the traffic is so high, you will probably arrange to hail people on another channel. However, in many places the ONLY channel people monitor in 16. Tough %^&*() if you think they will hear you on another channel.

i totally agree, those people that are carringly on conversations * I am cruising at 5.8 Kts, how fast are you sailing" are ass holes, and I let them know that this is an emegency channel. However, Boat A, this is B, do you read, and then switching to 68 or some other channel, fine with me. Where do you sail that this kind of hailing interferes with EMERGENCIES!
Old 01-20-2008

sailboy21 is on a distinguished road
Almost everyone that still monitors their VHF uses 16.
A lot of boats don't have new VHF radios, so they don't scan the channels. If you want to hail an other boat 16 is your best bet. If there is an emergency the Coast Guard will let you know when it is your turn to shut up. They operate repeaters and transmit a much higher wattage than we do.

In Canada, Marinas don't monitor 16. You have to hail them on their channel.. which really sucks if you don't have a harbor guide.
Did you know seawater freezes? Well it does, by boat became an icebreaker today
Old 01-20-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyt View Post
Again, if yoy\u are in an area where the traffic is so high, you will probably arrange to hail people on another channel. However, in many places the ONLY channel people monitor in 16. Tough %^&*() if you think they will hear you on another channel.

i totally agree, those people that are carringly on conversations * I am cruising at 5.8 Kts, how fast are you sailing" are ass holes, and I let them know that this is an emegency channel. However, Boat A, this is B, do you read, and then switching to 68 or some other channel, fine with me. Where do you sail that this kind of hailing interferes with EMERGENCIES!

I give up!
You can't really believe an emergency can only happen in designated areas.
Old 01-20-2008

artbyjody is just really nice artbyjody is just really nice artbyjody is just really nice artbyjody is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by k1vsk View Post
I give up!
You can't really believe an emergency can only happen in designated areas.
the fact is if you have an emergency 16 is your best bet............

It really is THAT SIMPLE...

S/V "
" -
1983, Barberis Show 38! or

Old 01-20-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
According to the USCG website, http://www.navcen.uscg.gov/marcomms/vhf.htm, on usage:

Quote:
Channel 9 — Boater Calling. Commercial and Non-Commercial.
and
Quote:
Channel 16 — International Distress, Safety and Calling. Ships required to carry radio, USCG, and most coast stations maintain a listening watch on this channel.
However, they also say, lower down the page,
Quote:
Channel 16 is used for calling other stations or for distress alerting.
So, you can use it to initiate contact then move to a non-commercial frequency. In many areas Channel 9 isn't really monitored, so using it is less than useful. Channel 16 is required to be monitored by all VHF-equipped vessels, so unless your region normally uses Channel 9, using Channel 16 makes sense.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.

Last edited by sailingdog; 01-20-2008 at 10:03 PM.
Old 01-20-2008
Banned

tommyt is on a distinguished road
Kivsk,

No, I don't think that emergencies only happen in selected areas. However, if you think that only emergincies are on channel 16 it is a very quiet frequency, Reality says that 16 is an emergency and HAILING channel, and such it is. Get over it!
Old 01-20-2008

One last try. my point is that this has NOTHING to do with CG regs. Behavior can't be regulated.
Guess I'm in a bad mood since the cheaters won the AFC