Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-20-2008
Banned

tommyt is on a distinguished road
Hey, the Giants just beat the Packers in my sailing area, and on channel 16, nobody will know till Spring....whenever that is! If I am yelling for help I yell on 16! When I want a slip for the night I yell on 16 unless the marina monitors other channels ( and in most cases they really only listen to 16). Whatever gets the job done.

Hey, I am at the 45th Parallel, and at this point the last thing I want to do is sail out there. It is currently -2 F, and the wind chill does not matter! It is spelled COLD!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-20-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Exactly, how did the cheaters win???
Quote:
Originally Posted by k1vsk View Post
One last try. my point is that this has NOTHING to do with CG regs. Behavior can't be regulated.
Guess I'm in a bad mood since the cheaters won the AFC

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 01-20-2008
Banned

tommyt is on a distinguished road
How bad is it? Normally, the oil barge and tug pull in and out within 12 hours max. They have been at the depot in GTB for 4 days!I spell that SMART, and the Giants LUCKY... and GOOD!
Old 01-20-2008

Wannafish is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog View Post
So, you can use it to initiate contact then move to a non-commercial frequency. In many areas Channel 9 isn't really monitored, so using it is less than useful. Channel 16 is required to be monitored by all VHF-equipped vessels, so unless your region normally uses Channel 9, using Channel 16 makes sense.
Exactly. I wondered how long before someone had a straight forward answer.

I'm required to monotor Channel 16 and assume (possibly incorrectly ) that everyone else is also. If everyone is monitoring 16 they won't hear me if I call them on 9, 68 or whatever other channel someone thinks I should use to hail. (Yes, I am aware of radios with scanning features - I have two. Doesn't mean the vessel I am trying to hail has one though.)
16 it is for me - and yes, I will request to switch as soon as I make contact.
Old 01-20-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
K1vsk-

Hate to break it to you, even the USCG website says that Channel 16 is used for EMERGENCIES and HAILING... not EMERGENCIES ONLY. It actually makes sense that Ch. 16 is used to initiate any communications, since all VHF-equipped vessels are legally required to monitor Ch. 16. Of course, if you've been monitoring Ch. 16, you should know, from the radio traffic, if there is an emergency in progress or not.

Of course, you're just pissed off that the Patriots kicked the Chargers in the teeth, and even though the Chargers had caught THREE interceptions, they just couldn't pull their heads out of their backsides... and lost in spite of Brady making more mistakes than he has most of the whole season.

Emergencies happen... if you can't shut up long enough for the emergency to be taken care of... then you should be on your cell phone, not the VHF.

Quote:
Originally Posted by k1vsk View Post
I guess I should have stated it differently:
If you routinely hail on CH16, so will other people and so too will this foster the abuse we all abhore. There is no reason you cannot use CH9 for routine hailing, etc.
The above has nothing to do with the "legality" or just "monitoring".
In other words, if there is some possibility of interfering with an emergency, common sense should dictate using another frequency, even for a short call.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 01-20-2008
Tartan 27' owner

CalebD will become famous soon enough
Labatt,
So try to remember to use channel 9 first for hailing,then 16. Like I said, many of these guys are kind of 'safety weenies' who have nothing better to do than ridicule you with your radio handling capabilities. I do like the beer from the upper US and Labbatt is a nice one. So realize that you are the one with the pleasure boat and that they are 'safety weenies' and get over it.
You might want to do see a doctor about that 'huge ego' of yours!
Cheers.

Everybody has one:

Old 01-20-2008

k1vsk will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog View Post
K1vsk-

Hate to break it to you, even the USCG website says that Channel 16 is used for EMERGENCIES and HAILING... not EMERGENCIES ONLY.
Emergencies happen... if you can't shut up long enough for the emergency to be taken care of... then you should be on your cell phone, not the VHF.

That's plainly obvious dog. Irrelevant but obvious. Almost like saying one is required to monitor CH16 so it must follow that's the correct hailing channel.

ps. they admitted to cheating and they won - hence, the cheaters won.
Old 01-21-2008

Valiente has a spectacular aura about Valiente has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyt View Post
Labatt,

On N. lake Michigan most marinas monitor 16/9 or 68. Cruising guides will usually tell you what channel each monitors, but in every case that I am aware of 16 is one of the channels. They quickly, and rightly, move you to another channel, but 16 is always active as a hailing channel. Champlain may be an exception because of poulation, as N. Lk Mi. is not active, but I have never heard of such a exception.

Sounds a little bit extreme to me.
What Tommy said. Brevity is the soul of wit, though. Here's a typical Ch. 16 exchange off Toronto:

"Alchemy, Alchemy, Alchemy, this is Tugboat, Tugboat, over.

Tugboat, Alchemy, go zero six.

Zero-six, roger."

Elapsed time, about seven seconds if my VHF is nearby. If ch. 6 is occupied, we return to ch. 16 and try again, usually on 27, 71 or 73.

Chs. 12 and 13 are used here for airport/ship and bridge-bridge communications here, but there's no special injunction against using 16 as a hail frequency other than keep it as concise as possible.
Old 01-21-2008

Valiente has a spectacular aura about Valiente has a spectacular aura about
An added point: Most marinas and YCs seem to monitor 68 around here...why it's 68 I have no idea...but the upshot is that it is frequently far busier than 16 and you have to practically dock to get the attention of the dockmaster to get an assignment or to answer a query, as such folk are frequently carrying a handheld VHF on their belts with the squelch up high.
Old 01-21-2008

sailboy21 is on a distinguished road
The CH16 Controversy.. next Dateline NBC. proof that the simplest of things will confound humanity forever. Is there no end?