Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-20-2008
I'd rather be sailing

labatt will become famous soon enough
Channel 16

OK... just trying to figure out - is Channel 16 considered a hailing channel everyplace EXCEPT on Lake Champlain and the Great Lakes? From what I understand, Channel 16 is fine to hail and request a change to another channel. "Boat X, Boat X, this is Pelican. Pelican, Boat X, switch to 68" or something of the sort - at least that's the way I've always used it and hear everyone else using it.

My marina dockmaster insists that on Champlain that Channel 16 is only for emergency use. If you try to hail them on 16, they publicly lambaste you (Pelican, Channel 16 is ONLY FOR EMERGENCY BROADCASTS. If you want to hail someone you have to use Channel 9), make you feel like an idiot, and then tell you to switch to 68 or another working channel. They state that Channel 9 is the hailing channel on Champlain.

I've looked in tons of places, and can't find anything stating that Channel 16 is different on Champlain. Does anyone know anything about this? If this is true, shouldn't the CG be yelling at everyone on Champlain who uses 16 as a hailing channel, which is everyone I know including us?

I wouldn't even bring it up, except now I just noticed on ActiveCaptain that our marina put "Channel 9 is the VHF calling channel for Great Lakes and Lake Champlain. xxx's Marina working channel is 68 and all traffic will be requested to switch to 68 after contact is established on 9. Channel 16 is strictly reserved for distress on the Great Lakes and Lake Champlain." I hate seeing improper information show up, but I stand to be corrected if I'm wrong.
s/v "Pelican" Passport 40 #076- Finished Cruising - for the moment -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"Don't dream your life, live your dream" - Bob Bitchin'
"I'll see it when I believe it" - Me

Last edited by labatt; 01-20-2008 at 08:47 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-20-2008

artbyjody is just really nice artbyjody is just really nice artbyjody is just really nice artbyjody is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by labatt View Post
OK... just trying to figure out - is Channel 16 c
My understanding is ok to use channel 16 and hail other vessels and then state and request to go to another channel. 16 is the channel most should be tuned into underway to begin with as the Coast guard will announce issues etc, other boats desiring assistance etc.....To have a conversation on 16 non-emergency related - is bad and should not be tolerated...but for hailing and switching to another channel - proper use...

S/V "
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
" -
1983, Barberis Show 38! or

Old 01-20-2008
Banned

tommyt is on a distinguished road
Labatt,

On N. lake Michigan most marinas monitor 16/9 or 68. Cruising guides will usually tell you what channel each monitors, but in every case that I am aware of 16 is one of the channels. They quickly, and rightly, move you to another channel, but 16 is always active as a hailing channel. Champlain may be an exception because of poulation, as N. Lk Mi. is not active, but I have never heard of such a exception.

Sounds a little bit extreme to me.
Old 01-20-2008
Banned

On the other hand, at least you know that someone is listening if you need help! If they can bitch, they can respond!
Old 01-20-2008

k1vsk will become famous soon enough
When in doubt, stay off Ch16 regardless of where you are. Some harmless hail could easily interfere with someone's distress call which you may not hear. You may feel your short harmless hail is trivial but if you do it, everyone will and the result is what we sometimes hear - all the idiots and their children asking for the dreaded radio check, how's the fishing, do I have a diesel engine?, etc. I actually heard some moron ask that one day on 16 when he pulled up to the fuel dock.
There are already enough idiots with radios on their boats so please don't add to it.
Old 01-20-2008

artbyjody is just really nice artbyjody is just really nice artbyjody is just really nice artbyjody is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by k1vsk View Post
When in doubt, stay off Ch16 regardless of where you are. Some harmless hail could easily interfere with someone's distress call which you may not hear. You may feel your short harmless hail is trivial but if you do it, everyone will and the result is what we sometimes hear - all the idiots and their children asking for the dreaded radio check, how's the fishing, do I have a diesel engine?, etc. I actually heard some moron ask that one day on 16 when he pulled up to the fuel dock.
There are already enough idiots with radios on their boats so please don't add to it.

I'll have to play devils advocate here... 16 is the channel to listen to underway. I know from experience I have been warned many times by the CG of issues during my travel (distress, sub coming in, etc)...

Yes, it is intolerable for discussions as you listed above - but assuming all sailors are responsible - there is nothing that states for hailing you can not use 16. For carrying on a non-emergency discussion on 16 - your boat should sink rapidly - but for hailing and switching to another channel - thats is the purpose of the channel... its the top tier ...

S/V "
" -
1983, Barberis Show 38! or

Old 01-20-2008
Tartan 27' owner

CalebD will become famous soon enough
So try using Ch. 9 first and see if you get any replies. Then try 16 and if they verbally bitch slap you you can tell them you already tried the fooking channel they're telling you to use. 16 is meant for emergency stuff so do try and switch off quickly. Mostly, don't take it personally that someone is a channel 16 nazi - they could be an ambulance driver.

Everybody has one:

Old 01-20-2008
Banned

You must really be in a high density area, and I have sailed out of Chicago, to have too much activity on 16. A quick hail and switch is legal... period. Discussing politics or the advantages of gas over dieles is extreme. Excuse me, but hailing is legal. Assholes are everywhere, and they go to extremes, but hailing and switching is perfectly OK by the USGC and me.
Old 01-20-2008
I'd rather be sailing

k1vsk - We "hail and move" i.e. call the boat, and as soon as we make contact, we move to an alternate channel. According to the USCG, this is appropriate use of Channel 16. I'm just trying to figure out if there's an exception for Champlain. I agree - there tends to be too much chatter on 16 where people don't move off of it, and we always count down to the CG yelling at the offenders. We especially love it when someone accidentally loses their mic in a cushion and the push-to-talk switch is depressed, and you can hear the motor screaming and the "woo-hoo"'s of the driver and passenger on a stinkpot... Also, I believe radio checks on 16 are prohibited, but once again - hailing is not. Just trying to get it all down
Old 01-20-2008
I'd rather be sailing

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalebD View Post
Mostly, don't take it personally that someone is a channel 16 nazi - they could be an ambulance driver.
It's just that when I forget to switch to 9 to hail them, I hate being lectured to like I'm a little kid on something that's not even correct. My huge ego gets bruised