Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

View Poll Results: What would you like to see happen with "Rep Points" ?
Leave things as they are 46 37.70%
Eliminate them 76 62.30%
Voters: 122. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-21-2008

lakesman is on a distinguished road
I'm a newbie here, and as many like me, I use the rep power to see who is respected here, and who has more input, and use that as a reference to whom I should be reading.

I agree with removing it from the off topic threads, but not from the sailing related ones.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-21-2008
Señor Member

PorFin is on a distinguished road
Positive only?

But how would we respond to folks like our favorite Whack-A-Mole, the infamous Tjc1010101?
Old 01-21-2008
Thanks Courtney.

T34C has a spectacular aura about T34C has a spectacular aura about T34C has a spectacular aura about
I like the idea of Positive points only. That would give a clearer indication of the value of someones posts. If you attach an identity when giving pos./neg. hits it will cause some retribution hits as well. That would only serve to further complicate things. I also like Fasters- idea of no points allowed in Off Topic threads.
Old 01-21-2008
Mostly Harmless

ReverendMike will become famous soon enough
I don't know how to lean on this: I don't think they're much use, except for responding to the occasional great post, I haven't used them much (but today spread some random love a la Sapperwhite). The poo-slinging is somewhat entertaining in it's own way, but it's more fun in public anyway (Full disclosure: I have received only one neg rep and it was anonymous, so I haven't been wacked as much as some). I guess I'll abstain from the poll, I'm too 'Charlie Brown'-y

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"... the only matter of consequence before me is what I will do with my alloted time. I can remain on shore, paralyzed with fear, or I can raise my sails and dip and soar in the breeze." - Richard Bode, First you have to row a little boat (pg. 94)
Old 01-21-2008
Living & Cruising on Dana

Robby Barlow is on a distinguished road
I like the idea of being able to show my appreciation for the effort some members go to to help me/others, without knowing them personally and without any personal gain involved. Not many places these days where you can find that anymore - unfortunately. Would never give neg rep for not agreeing with them thou, that's what a discussion type forum is for - to share personal views and ideas with others on the same subject, anyone is free to take or leave the advice given.
So for me keep the pos and eliminate the neg points.
Old 01-21-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Rep points aren't all that useful. Most of us can tell who the whackos are and who should be listened to.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 01-21-2008

nsheehan615 is on a distinguished road
I've been mostly reading and learning over the last few months, not a lot of posts. I think its pretty easy to find the so called TROLLS. so get rid of them.
Old 01-21-2008
Mostly Harmless

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog View Post
Rep points aren't all that useful. Most of us can tell who the whackos are and who should be listened to.
Yeah, really, anyone with, say, 20 points is too busy kissing arses to post anything useful...

Love ya Dog. Woof!

"... the only matter of consequence before me is what I will do with my alloted time. I can remain on shore, paralyzed with fear, or I can raise my sails and dip and soar in the breeze." - Richard Bode, First you have to row a little boat (pg. 94)
Old 01-21-2008
Helms ALee!

tenuki will become famous soon enough
Keep em cause it's useful to see who has contributed a lot to the site. I do look at that number occasionally to help put a strange post in context. I also really appreciate getting a comment saying 'good post, it encourages me to improve the signal/noise ratio of my own posts.

Changes that may help:

1) Automatically add posters name to their comments. Bad behavior on the internet usually leaves along with anonymity IMO.
2) I think a particular user should be limited in the negative rep they can give in any given time period.
3) There should also be some 'cost' associated with giving negative rep, purhaps you get a 'whine' point that is displayed along with your rep
4) Positive only rep isn't a bad idea either, simple solution. However I do think the idea of getting negative rep is helpful for maintaining community, although as stated before bad posts usually get punished in a more direct way anyway.

Last edited by tenuki; 01-21-2008 at 03:32 PM.
Old 01-21-2008
Mostly Harmless

Ooh! Like the "whine points" idea!

"Good post tenuki!"