SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (sailing related) (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/)
-   -   Rep Points Poll (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/40010-rep-points-poll.html)

camaraderie 01-21-2008 11:29 AM

Rep Points Poll

I am posting this poll to get a sense of what the membership feels about rep points. I don't think there is any possibility for "reforming" the system so I am limiting the choices to "leave things as they are" and "eliminate them". As you know, rep points are awarded for # of posts and received rep from others but lately there has been a rash of negative rep points being awarded for off topic posts that have nothing to do with sailing and these anonymous posts have upset some members. I personally think the whole rep thing is stupid but it does provide a bit of guidance about who can be relied on I guess so before I ask the administration to turn it off due to the havoc it is causing I would like to have a sense of how YOU would prefer to deal with it.

I know some want modifications like removal of anonimity, or removal of ability to give negative rep...so feel free to put your ideas in posts below BUT if face with the choice of leaving things as they are or eliminating the feature...How would you decide?

Brezzin 01-21-2008 11:39 AM

Eliminate them. The members here do a real good job of pointing out the crack pots and the trolls. Also questioning shady advice as well. The rep point serve no real purpose.

TrueBlue 01-21-2008 11:48 AM

For some time now, it seems there are rep-point terrorists out there getting their kicks from hitting the regulars.

I got a few hits lately which I presume are from the same person. As evidenced by a consistent writing style in comments left, and the graphic "light" is neither red, or green. To me, this indicates a repeater not able to give neg rep twice to the same person.

I would like to see a change in programing that would only allow rep points to be given - positive, or negative, if a member's identity is added - removal of anonimity. This is likely to create open disputes between feuding posters - but I still prefer it over allowing these weak-spined cowards the opportunity to get their kicks.

soulesailor 01-21-2008 11:53 AM

Get rid of 'em. If anyone suggests a bad idea it is usually quickly pointed out in succeeding posts. Plus, I'm still sore for getting a neg. rep. for proclaiming my love of cheetos.

teshannon 01-21-2008 11:55 AM

I agree with TB, modify it to eliminate the anonimity. If that is not practical then get rid of it.

artbyjody 01-21-2008 11:57 AM

Why not just only allow positive rep points? (far less would be slung and most likely only on actual posts anyways...)

That gets rid of the issue entirely ...

but, have to admit the drama is exciting isn't it - a who's who of who dunit proportions....

Sapperwhite 01-21-2008 12:00 PM

I would love to see rep points stay. It adds some "fun" to things around here. I would like it if rep points were automatically stamped with the posters name.

I have been on the receiving end of the mystery poster/posters. While it doesn't bother me that they do neg rep me, it bothers me that they are such cowards they won't tell us who they are.

Keep rep points for the fun of them, not because they are an indicator of someone worth to the forum.

Sapperwhite 01-21-2008 12:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by artbyjody (Post 253008)
....but, have to admit the drama is exciting isn't it - a who's who of who dunit proportions....

Exactly! Thats why i like em.

gonesailin40 01-21-2008 12:01 PM

I was reading this sight a long time before I signed up and will read it everyday as long as I can.Thanks for a great sight!

Often times I have seen some intelligent comments come from people with no rep points. Many times people with alot of rep points say some things that make me question if they have ever even been on a boat before. But regardless of rep points I read each post without any pre conceived notions. Either what you print is valid and makes some sense or it doesn't. I think people who take score in life need things like rep points. Those of us who have evolved beyond such petty things don't really need them. Good luck with your choice, at least some will be happy either way.

genieskip 01-21-2008 12:04 PM

I'm new here and I've found lots of good (and some bad) advice. I've never paid any attention to rep points and agree with those who say dump the whole thing. It doesn't take long for someone who posts something stupid or wrong to have the error of his ways pointed out to him, often in great detail. I've already more or less learned who among the regular posters knows his stuff and who needs to be taken with a grain of salt.