SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (sailing related) (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/)
-   -   When does KISS become stupid? (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/40036-when-does-kiss-become-stupid.html)

CBinRI 01-22-2008 09:59 AM

When does KISS become stupid?

I am generally in agreement with the thought that there advantages to keeping your systems simple, but I also think there has to be a balance.

This month I read a piece in Cruising World about a couple that is cruising the world in an Beneteau Oceanis 345 (I may have the model number wrong but it was an Oceanis of 34 or 35 feet). That caught my eye right away, as it may be a good coastal cruiser but seemed like a highly questionable choice for blue water cruising.

But then they really got my attention by saying that they found the systems too complicated, removed the engine for more storage, and opted for a sextant over a GPS. The magazine did not offer any counterpoint, although we may eventually see some letters to the editor.

Did anyone else see this? Are these sound judgments or are they simply Luddites?

PorFin 01-22-2008 10:05 AM

Could just be me, but...

My take on the article was that it was a tongue-in-cheek piece on the overall net worth of dockside/marina advice...

PF

CBinRI 01-22-2008 10:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PorFin (Post 253597)
My take on the article was that it was a tongue-in-cheek piece on the overall net worth of dockside/marina advice...

PF

That would explain a lot of things. I'm embarassed if I missed that.

PorFin 01-22-2008 10:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CBinRI (Post 253599)
That would explain a lot of things. I'm embarassed if I missed that.

No need for a red face -- I had to think about it before I started to see between the lines. It was thought provoking, though, was it not?

chucklesR 01-22-2008 10:36 AM

I agree, it was intended as tonque in cheek.

I hope.

I've heard of folks living on 22 ft pop top catalina's with 4hp outboards; but those are the trolls that escaping alimony in the sun, not normal.

I hope.

Valiente 01-22-2008 03:55 PM

Was it intended as a Pardey parody, perhaps?

Classic30 01-23-2008 12:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CBinRI (Post 253595)
But then they really got my attention by saying that they found the systems too complicated, removed the engine for more storage, and opted for a sextant over a GPS. The magazine did not offer any counterpoint, although we may eventually see some letters to the editor.

Did anyone else see this? Are these sound judgments or are they simply Luddites?

I haven't read the article, but am often amused by the warnings associated with GPS units that they "shouldn't be the only means of navigation". Reading behind the lines there, every modern boatie should be using a sextant - just to make sure the GPS position is right - because a sextant position can't possibly be wrong, can it? ;)

I have yet to meet a stinkpotter who even knows what a sextant is - let alone knows how to use one... :rolleyes:

Very thought-provoking.

artbyjody 01-23-2008 12:21 AM

When a KISS becomes STUPID is when a KISS leads to her getting pregnant... all I gotta say on that

zcfd02 01-23-2008 01:20 AM

Is there a sextant pun in here somewhere?

Quote:

Originally Posted by artbyjody (Post 254260)
When a KISS becomes STUPID is when a KISS leads to her getting pregnant... all I gotta say on that

artbyjody 01-23-2008 01:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zcfd02 (Post 254295)
Is there a sextant pun in here somewhere?

There is no such thing as a sex pun.. trust me from someone that paid for the pun..