SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

A New Circumnav to Argue About!

39K views 343 replies 46 participants last post by  byrondv 
#1 ·
Since Heather has let us all down so badly, and the prospect of a long, cold winter faces all of us armchair sailors living vicariously through others, :rolleyes:, I submit for your approval or denigration the strange voyage of Mr. David Vann...about to commence in ....the Tin-can Zone.....:eek:

Latest news here: http://www.esquire.com/the-side/blog/tincan

No word yet on how his mommy feels about the voyage....but rumour has it that he DID buy her flowers on mothers day so obviously he is merely acting out her long repressed sea-dream she once had while opening a can of Sacremento Tomato Juice! :D

See less See more
#78 ·
Short version: Heather turned back with some injury as well as some seamanship issues. Both Heather and boat are now fine. Mission aborted. Future plans in limbo. Discussion of topic on sailnet reached critical mass and was terminated with extreme prejudice by a moderator. Currently the "children's book", "Heather Has Two Mommies" is a less controversial topic here.

#80 ·
I'll do the test sails on San Francisco Bay on Saturday, then I'll hopefully be on a mooring buoy that night and set sail Sunday morning (Feb 10) for Southern California, about 400 miles away. My plan is to just keep going if everything goes well, making the circumnavigation San Francisco to San Francisco. But if I need to make any repairs or changes, I'll pull into San Diego, since I'm familiar with that port. And I'm willing to pull into a port at any point during the trip if the boat doesn't seem safe or I just don't feel confident. Contrary to what some folks on sailing forums seem to think, I'm not insane or reckless. I'm trying something which is challenging, a true expedition, the most exciting thing I've ever done, and I'm happy with how the boat has turned out. I wish I were leaving earlier in the season, but after studying the pilot charts, I think I'm going to be okay. And I've worked out a plan with Don and Buddy, my weather gurus. I'm going to wait for weather at Cape Horn if I have to, wait again before rounding Tasmania and New Zealand, and I'm also going to go farther north between Cape Horn and Australia than I had previously planned. I'll try to get up around 40 degrees instead of 45, if the wind cooperates. It means a longer route, but it avoids the highest probabilities of gales. And the main thing is, I'm willing to stop the trip and wait until next year if I need to. I'm not driven by pride or shame. I'm fine with admitting that things aren't working out if they're not working out.
I wonder why would people at sailing sites, a place where normally SAILORS TALK ABOUT SAILBOATS AND SAILING would think that????

#97 ·
You guys are all wrong !
I drank a bunch of beer and recived a lot of insite on this journey.
Its the tools bought at Home depot thats make this sailors dream come true.
You dont need a engine ...its got sails dont it ?
its what SAILINGS ALL ABOUT.
As for a anchor the Tin Can will sink in a short time after the foam soaks up with sea water and will become it own anchor.

The positive side it will become a natural reef for sea life soon after without all hazards a engine would cause to the enviroment. This in fact could bring in tourist dollars from divers wanting to do wreck dives in that area .

I belive as ..seasoned or new sailors on this site ..all should support every dream out there . Can you imagine the sailing comuinty as one !

Super bowl ....go NY

#98 ·
You guys are all wrong !
I drank a bunch of beer and recived a lot of insite on this journey.
Its the tools bought at Home depot thats make this sailors dream come true.
You dont need a engine ...its got sails dont it ?
its what SAILINGS ALL ABOUT.
As for a anchor the Tin Can will sink in a short time after the foam soaks up with sea water and will become it own anchor.

The positive side it will become a natural reef for sea life soon after without all hazards a engine would cause to the enviroment. This in fact could bring in tourist dollars from divers wanting to do wreck dives in that area .

I belive as ..seasoned or new sailors on this site ..all should support every dream out there . Can you imagine the sailing comuinty as one !

Super bowl ....go NY
spoken as a true drunken sailor..:D:D

#101 ·
Anyone remember the "vessel" Son of Town Hall? It was made of logs scavenged from the Hudson River and scrap lumber, plywood and styrofoam from Manhattan dumpsters. The people who made it (a few old hippies) planned to take their 2 rottweillers to Europe on it.

I can't post links here but if you google the vessel name you'll find info.

I met them in '97 when they pulled into a small village on the south shore of Nova Scotia. As they pulled away from the wharf I thought that would be the last time anyone ever saw them. But they made it to Ireland eventually and then carried on to France.

I know wood floats better than steel and aluminum ... and the north Altantic isn't the southern ocean. But the tone of the comments in this thread sound just like the ones about Son of Town Hall ... identical ... right down to the naval architects' and boat builders' expert sounding comments.

That said ... I WOULD NOT have crossed the harbour in Lower West Pubnico on Town Hall, nor would I want to sail away from the dock aboard this boat.

#104 ·
I think the guy shows an incredible strength of character, in spite of the 'naysayers'. Will he make down to Sth Cal, or even further, well that is an other question.

While it lasts, that thing is going to be fast! It will be a handful to keep under control, and from the photos it looks like he cant depower the main other than reefing. If he has a problem with the furler while underway, all I can say is I hope he is hooked on.

If you are reading this David, please please please do at least a few days of sea trials! If not for your self, then for your family and friends.

Bloke

#105 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.