SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (sailing related) (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/)
-   -   Whats a good tip? (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/40064-whats-good-tip.html)

sailingandy 01-23-2008 02:46 PM

Whats a good tip?

First I want to say that this group has provided a lot of info and even more laughs. The better half and I are going to be taking the BWSS weeklong course starting Feb 2. (can't tell you how excited we are). My question is: what is considered an appropriate tip for the instructor? I'm a tour director in the real world, but have no idea what is considered a good tip for something like this. Thanks, don't want to be a cheapskate.

KODAD 01-23-2008 03:05 PM

bottle of wine/whiskey

TrueBlue 01-23-2008 03:11 PM

If the instructor is also the business owner, I think a tip is considered unecessary and inappropriate. Otherwise, a paid employee would be thrilled to receive $10/person - an amount I would pay, more or less, depending upon my satisfaction level.

A sailing instructor I know, said it's actually rare to receive tips from students . . . have you ever tipped your college professors?

punjabi 01-23-2008 03:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TrueBlue (Post 254605)
If the instructor is also the business owner, I think a tip is considered unecessary and inappropriate. Otherwise, a paid employee would be thrilled to receive $10/person - an amount I would pay, more or less, depending upon my satisfaction level.

A sailing instructor I know, said it's actually rare to receive tips from students . . . have you ever tipped your college professors?

How do you think I graduated? You have to tip at the beginning of the semester though.

TrueBlue 01-23-2008 03:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by punjabi (Post 254609)
How do you think I graduated? You have to tip at the beginning of the semester though.

Now there's a crafty student!
Actually, I made pencil/ink sketches of some of my architectural professor's completed projects . . . made for some good brownie points (g).

sailingdog 01-23-2008 03:19 PM

I don't know if a tip is really appropriate. However, if you are really pleased with the instructor's performance, a small gift might be a nice touch, like a bottle of good booze, gift certificate to a local restaurant, etc.

T34C 01-23-2008 03:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sailingdog (Post 254623)
I don't know if a tip is really appropriate. However, if you are really pleased with the instructor's performance, a small gift might be a nice touch, like a bottle of good booze, gift certificate to a local restaurant, etc.

Once you have decided on the appropriate bottle, first forward one to me, and I will be happy to evaluate it on its merits to help you decide if it is a suitable tip. ;)

gonesailin40 01-23-2008 03:30 PM

If he does a bad job do you get a percentage of your fee back?

I do not understand tipping. Things like tipping my postman, or my wife tips the beautician who just charged here 70 bucks for 30 minutes of her day. I would not think tipping the sailing instructor is needed.

cjmcfall 01-23-2008 03:37 PM

Andy,

This depends on the course. If it is an owner/operator then a small gift is acceptable (assuming you are happy with the class).

I taught at a US Sailing school for two years and tipping was very common from my students. I would say my average tip for a four day course was anywhere from $50-$100 depending. There were also the occasional party that did not tip, thats ok too.

It, like anything, should depend on how happy you are with the class, boat, teacher, and information delivered.

As a post-starving sailing instructor, I know those tips really made the difference and allowed me to continue that lifestyle.

Hope this helps!:)

chucklesR 01-23-2008 04:08 PM

Tell him or her not to invest in real estate, that's a good and appropriate tip. They are paid employee's - I don't tip my grocery store checkout person, or the instructor at my diesel repair class at the Annapolis sailing school. I tip people that work at below hourly wage (waitresses) or who work for tip's only.