Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-28-2008

gonesailin40 is on a distinguished road
Trawling and smoked fish questions.

I have two questions. The first is, would it be possible/reasonable to use a 12 or 16 foot trawl net on a sailboat? This would be for the purpose of question number two. Which is , can fish be smoked in a similar fashion as beef is smoked and does some company make a suitable smoker? I don't really care for fishing so I am hoping to find a way to catch and store fish on my "someday" journey.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-28-2008

artbyjody is just really nice artbyjody is just really nice artbyjody is just really nice artbyjody is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by gonesailin40 View Post
I have two questions. The first is, would it be possible/reasonable to use a 12 or 16 foot trawl net on a sailboat? This would be for the purpose of question number two. Which is , can fish be smoked in a similar fashion as beef is smoked and does some company make a suitable smoker? I don't really care for fishing so I am hoping to find a way to catch and store fish on my "someday" journey.
this thread may provide some insight : Dried Fish?

S/V "
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
" -
1983, Barberis Show 38! or
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 01-28-2008

thanks for the thread link artbyjody, that helps some
Old 01-28-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Using a trawl net may have some licensing issues in many countries...and if you're caught using it and not properly licensed, I think you'll be rather unhappy with how they react.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gonesailin40 View Post

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 01-28-2008

bogdog is on a distinguished road
Hey Gone
you can use the same smoker for fish as for meat. The recipe book that came with one a friend bought had some tasty looking fish and/or meat recipes. Dan
Old 01-28-2008

Danny33 is on a distinguished road
You will be dragging a lot of weight around .
If you hit a school of fish ...what ya goina do ?
A couple lines most of the times works very well.
Think of a crab pot instead and where to stow it ..
Old 01-28-2008

Sasha_V will become famous soon enough
We have a shrimp net that we have towed behind a 24 foot sailboat...But it was not a case of just having it out there. We were sailing along quietly when we heard that distinctive sound form inside the hull...It took about ten minutes to get set up, then we reversed beariunbg and sailed back through them. Pulled up about 4kg in two passes (it is a small net) and then kept going.

but in terms of a BIG net...No, I think that would be a less then great idea. The two lines out the back gets you bigger fish with better meat-to-waste ratios and is about the best compromise bewteen sailing to get somewhere and fishing. Smoking can be done on the BBQ that some have hanging on the back rail...but it is better if it is a charcoal BBQ, because gas conatins and releases a large amount of water vapour when it burns...this means it is almost impossible to properly preserve the meat.
Old 01-29-2008

Thanks for the input. Being from South Louisiana as I am, I never considered licensing issues. Thanks for mentioning that Sailingdog. And I did not mean that I would just be towing it all the time.
Old 01-29-2008

welshstu is on a distinguished road
Talking

In the early 80s, Angola, offshore oil, johnny ledet, boss from louisiana decides they want to do some bayou trawling, might be some shrimp in the river congo dont ya know!!
get stores to order a shrimp net, it finally arrives, hey stu get it lined up on the oil cavalier the crew change boat. off we go to the mouth of the congo, go close inshore (by the way this net is tiny!) half inch poly prop lines and the boat going quite slow, holy **** the strain is unbelievable. hey skip slow down, ok tickover, the strain is still unbelievable, lines thrumming. finally say stuff this and try and pull the thing in, hmmm 4 hairy arsed oil field workers just managed it, all we had by the way was a few scrawny minnow type things. The point of the story, even a small trawl is a handful and if you get it full of fish it will in all probability pull your sail boat under!!
Stu