Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-29-2008

Valiente has a spectacular aura about Valiente has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giulietta View Post
Right now I would change my heads from electrical (big mistake) to hand operated, as the ones I have have a bronze body motor with an aluminium motor casing, and are constant driping. (the pump impeler and body are plastic).
Speaking as someone who has fixed your head, I agree. You should get a Lavac head, because it is very reliable and has enough suction to also empty your head bilge. The British don't know much about cooking or electronics, but they sure know toilets.

http://www.lavac.com/pumps.htm
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-29-2008

JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough
Larger holding tank. Have 16 gallons, double that wouldn't be too much.
Old 01-29-2008

Valiente has a spectacular aura about Valiente has a spectacular aura about
My ongoing improvements log can be found here for anyone who's interested:

alchemy2009.blogspot.com

I update about once a month. Expect to see a flying diesel in February...
Old 01-29-2008

jimmyb116 is on a distinguished road
New sails its almost as good as a new boat, the old ones diden't look so bad but they had had there day shape wise.
Old 01-29-2008
Señor Member

TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
This thread is for us to write what things would you change in your boat, and why...
I've made many upgrades and improvements to True Blue, which would take more time than I currently have to list here. I honestly can't think of many more things to change - except perhaps, finding ways to lead all lines back to the cockpit.

But, if I had the supreme power to change anything, it would be to attach a big smile to my wife's face - whenever the boat sailed with a bone in her teeth . . . essentially the reason why she's been sold, within one day at that.
Old 01-29-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
That's cause Brits are so full of $***. It makes them an expert on heads and toilets.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valiente View Post
Speaking as someone who has fixed your head, I agree. You should get a Lavac head, because it is very reliable and has enough suction to also empty your head bilge. The British don't know much about cooking or electronics, but they sure know toilets.

http://www.lavac.com/pumps.htm

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 01-29-2008
On the hard

CharlieCobra has a spectacular aura about CharlieCobra has a spectacular aura about
New sails, possibly a high cut Yankee jib so I could fly both headsails without them interfering with each other. Electronics for the boat, she only had a depth sounder (which sometimes glitches out) and a knotmeter (inoperable) with a handheld GPS. A tillerpilot would be nice too.
Old 01-29-2008

jimmyb116 is on a distinguished road
Changing from wire halyards to Sampson warp speed, was one of the best for me.
Old 01-29-2008

genieskip is on a distinguished road
I have one hell of a list. I bought a '91 J40 in November and had all kinds of plans for what I would do over the winter, after I moved the boat from Mystic to my home waters in the Hudson Valley. A week after the closing I took a bad tumble in my house and tore the quad right off my kneecap and broke a bone in my thumb. It was wheelchair>walker >crutches for the last couple of months and goodbye to any work over the winter. Still, that's how I found this forum, to keep from going bananas (not an even trade, but I am of the "if you get a lemon make lemonade" school of thought). I haven't even sailed the boat, other than her survey sea trials, and I certainly haven't lived aboard, but I've been dreaming and scheming over the winter of disability and here are some of the things I'd like to try (after I sail a bit on it, to be sure)

1. Dump the manual heads (there are two, unnecessary on a 40 footer, but that's how it came) The discussion on this forum steered me into doing research on that and I like the idea very much of going AirHead. Getting rid of two space eating 20 gal tanks and lots of smelly hose.

2. Eventually rigging a forestay. The boat currently has running backstays to control mast bend, but they would work very well to counteract a forestay. There is also a waterproof bulkhead near where the tack would be to support the strain at the other end.

3. The big job is in the main cabin. There is a rather silly dinette on the port side, useless when on a heel. I plan to tear that out and put in a pilot berth, a lower settee and convert the existing or make a new fore and aft table. In the footspace of the dinette I would put an extra diesel tank that would increase by about 40% my cruising range under power and make room for a couple of batteries that now are very unhandily placed. Under the pilot berth I plan to put a half a dozen drawers or lockers. Fortunately the interior is the old Herreshof white with wood trim, making it easier to match the existing feel of the boat.

4. There is an anchor well aft that I would change. Tear out the fitted interior for the 25 lb danforth and rebuild a tight locker with an overboard discharge (just like the propane locker) where I would store gasoline for the outboard and for the little Honda generator, as well as said little Honda. I haven't really measured it out yet and I don't think it will fit, but if I can make it big enough to hold the outboard as well, that would be great.

I have many more great ideas, but I really need to sail the boat to see if my ideas are really sensible and worth doing. Sometimes you can outsmart yourself!

At any rate, I am enjoying this forum and working hard to get my working parts back in order so I can DO, rather than dream.
Old 01-29-2008

sailortjk1 has a spectacular aura about sailortjk1 has a spectacular aura about
1. Traditional Main with Stak pak (So I wouldn't have to listen to all you people telling me my furling main sucks)
2. You have heard me say this a lot....... An Island Berth for the Captain and First Mate.
3. Larger Holding Tank. We have twenty gallons but it fills up quick, especially when all three girls are on board.
4. Better engine access especially to my in the wrong place facing the wrong way impeller.

Give me some time I will think of more.

If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most - E.B. White