Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-29-2008

Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice
What would you change??

This thread is for us to write what things would you change in your boat, and why...

But also what have you changed that really improved it. My hopes is that other read the changes or what you wanted change, and possibly get new ideas for issues they may have.

I'll start:

Right now I would change my heads from electrical (big mistake) to hand operated, as the ones I have have a bronze body motor with an aluminium motor casing, and are constant driping. (the pump impeler and body are plastic).

Causes severe corrosion, with white salt formations and keeps burning the fuse, having me to replace the motor every year..under guarantee, but still a pain in the neck, because the hoses then take weeks to fix the leakings!!! irritating.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-29-2008

sailhog has a spectacular aura about sailhog has a spectacular aura about
As on many boats, the engine controls on my C30 are at heel level. Why they didn't put them up on the binacle where you can actually get at them with your mits while seeing where you are going... I'll never know...
Old 01-29-2008
Cruiser/Lats and Atts TV

Moonfish is on a distinguished road
Cool thread, Alex. On the subject of heads, I bought our boat sans head. One of the POs had at one time a macerator and electric pumpout. Then the last PO had it converted to all manual. After awhile, his wife wouldn't come aboard because the boat stunk. So he completely removed the head, hoses, and holding tank, and started using a porta-potty. When he sold the boat to us, he said "you probably don't want the porta-potty". As I imagined it was as dirty as the rest of the boat, I wholeheartedly agreed! So I "installed" (four screws and the included brackets) a new porta-potty with the 5-gallon holding tank.

Anyway, my other boats all had the standard head/holding tank arrangement, and I had to replace all the hoses on each as they were old and smelly. Never even considered a porta-potty as an option. Right now, I am quite happy to flip up the two lock down latches, pick up the bottom holding tank portion, and carry it out to the porta-potty dump - which are ubiquitous in the Puget Sound/San Juan Islands area. Hose it off, add a little water and blue head stuff, snap it back in, and it's done. No muss, no fuss, no stinky holding tank or hoses...

Obviously, because of where I cruise, and the fact I am not out for weeks at at time where there are no appropriate dumps sites, it is that easy. If I lived aboard (as I have in the past) or cruised more extensively in remote locations, I think I'd install a traditional manual head/holding tank. But as I said, for now, the porta-potty is simple and easy to deal with - and it doesn't smell bad!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"Always approach the dock at the speed you wish to hit it."
s/v VENUS
1978 North Sea 33 Pilothouse Cutter (Ta Chiao)

Old 01-29-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Bridgedeck

I changed the cockpit on my boat from the standard companionway design to one with a true full bridgedeck that is as high as the cockpit benches, and higher than the transom of the cockpit. This was done to provide some additional storage locker space for the cabin as well as making the boat more seaworthy, but reducing the volume of water that can sit in the cockpit and reducing the risk of downflooding from the cockpit to the cabin.

Marine Head

I also re-plumbed the head to discharge directly in to the holding tank, instead of having a diverter valve and having the choice to pump directly overboard. I then added a diverter valve to the pumpout hose on the holding tank and plumbed that to a Whale Mk V diaphragm pump and then to the seacock and through hull that was previously used by the head. This allows me to empty the tank, even if pumpout facilities aren't available, by sailing out past the three-mile limit.

Ground Tackle

I upgraded the ground tackle from a single six-inch cleat to port and starboard 10" cleats with six-inch bow chocks, a manual anchor windlass and pivoting bow roller. This should be able to handle the rigors of cruising and anchoring out, which the previous ground tackle really wasn't capable of dealing with.

Additional ventilation

I added two solar ventilators to the boat, to help keep the temperatures and humidity down. Well worth doing.

LED Navigation Lights

Since most small sailboats have limited electrical resources... I went and upgraded the navigation lights on my boat to LED-based fixtures... well worth the energy savings and reduced maintenance.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 01-29-2008

chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough
On my to do list:
I'd varnish the extensive interior teak (90% done)
I'd put in an AirHead, get rid of the holding tank smell factory.
I'd lead my main halyard to the cockpit, port (non-helm) side
I'd mount my traveler on an arch, leading controls to the stbd (helm) side
I'd do a much better job of sealing the storage hatches - they leak in the rain (done).
I'd put on hatch covers and doghouse window covers (done)
I'd put on a rigid vang
I'd add a windlass (done)
I'd Upgrade batteries, electrical system monitor and solar controller (done)
I'd add a Wind generator
I'd put a Chartplotter at the helm (done, Lowrance 5200c).
I'd upgrade my ground tackle by 25% mininmum, and add a second stern anchor (done).
I'd add an electric horn (done)
I'd change out my lighting to LED (partially done).

Never happen:
Electric winch, port side
Install 40 gals more diesel tanks (double current)
Watermaker
Generator - small 1.5kw diesel

Last edited by chucklesR; 01-29-2008 at 01:35 PM.
Old 01-29-2008
Not So Senior Member

Sapperwhite has a spectacular aura about Sapperwhite has a spectacular aura about Sapperwhite has a spectacular aura about
Simple change that made a big difference:

I had thought about wiring little LED cluster lamps into each of my big lockers and running them to the main breaker panel. Whenever I wanted, I would just flip the switch and viola, i can see my deep dark lockers and storage areas!

But wait, running wire sucks. Having all the lockers lit up at the same time sucks too. I could wire in little switches that turn the lights on when I open the locker. That way the light is only on when i open the door, then off when i close it! Now my little project was turning into a bigger and bigger one, and it was getting more expensive too. Better think about this first.

I got a WM gift card for Christmas and went to blow it about a week ago and there it was....the answer. A $10, battery operated LED tap light. No wires, low cost, easy install....a little change that makes a big difference.

As far a really big changes go.....I'll have to think about it, I kinda like my boat the way she is.
Old 01-29-2008
Not So Senior Member

Sapperwhite has a spectacular aura about Sapperwhite has a spectacular aura about Sapperwhite has a spectacular aura about
Big change in the future (maybe):

My boat comes as a sloop or cutter. The one I bought was always a sloop. If I ever deciede to go "out there" very far I'll convert her to a cutter for more sail options.
Old 01-29-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
I am looking at adding a third cabintop winch and leading the halyards aft. Had set that up on several friends' boats... and like it that way... just haven't had time to do it on my boat yet.

Also, looking to add a larger battery bank and an inverter/charger to the setup. Adding more cabin lighting to the boat later this spring too... a friend of mine is making up the lighting fixtures for me.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

Old 01-29-2008

Jim H is on a distinguished road
I moved 4926 miles away from my Cal 20, left my half-owner brother in charge, and he built a nice cockpit grate for it:

Well worth doing.

Aurora, a mighty Cal 20 (Portland, OR)
Southern Rival, a seasoned Rival 34 (Gosport, UK)

Old 01-29-2008
Telstar 28

Jim-

Can I borrow your brother for a couple of weeks... I'd like a cockpit grate too.

Telstar 28
New England