Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-07-2002

Don Foley is on a distinguished road
Food for thought

I''d post this under "Provisioning" if there was a category thus labeled. Maybe the folks who run this board could create one and see how it goes. I spend a fair amount of time planning, buying, cooking and eating while on the boat.

Anyway, for those ice tea lovers, I made a little discovery on my last run. I was single-handing it from Jacksonville to Brunswick, GA up the ICW and it was going to be hot. Usually I boil up water on the stove and make ice tea the traditional way, which uses fuel, and then ice to cool it down. When provisioning I picked up some "Cold Brew" ice tea from Lipton. With the curves in the ICW and numberous powerboats even with the Autohelm running, I can''t stay down below but for short hops. So I brought my pitcher up with with some cold water, tossed in a couple bags and let it sit for a few minutes. I wasn''t expecting much out of the process, generally being an ice tea snob.

The stuff was fantastic. We were hitting the mid 90''s in North Florida and I was drinking a perfect glass of ice tea.

It may sound a little strange, but to those who cruise, you know it''s the little things that make your day, and to do it with no energy loss (propane to heat the water, electricity to make the ice) and not heating up the cabin on a hot day was a treat.

Don
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-07-2002

DuaneIsing is on a distinguished road
Food for thought

Don,

We make so-called "sun tea" all the time. In fact, we often make it on the kitchen counter at night and it works identically as far as we can tell, although it may take a little longer. Your mention of a "few minutes" is pretty quick. We usually let it sit for a minimum of 4 hours.

You may want to try the regular type of tea bag (vs. the "cold brew") and see if it matters. We have never used anything but the regular type.

Thanks for sharing.

Duane
Old 05-07-2002

Don Foley is on a distinguished road
Food for thought

Duane,
That''s the beauty of this cold brew tea...it only took 3 minutes.

I like the sun tea concept, but I tend to break things, and pretty much anything on deck that isn''t strong enough for me to accidently step on it while underway gets crushed/shattered/destroyed. It also may be the kind of tea I use, but I never get that dark, rich kind of tea I like from sun tea. Keep in mind, though, I''m the kind of person that puts six tea bags in a pot and boils it till it''s almost syrup.

Don