Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

View Poll Results: Childrens Forum
Yes, I think it is a good idea but keep current forums 8 38.10%
No, it is not a good idea 9 42.86%
Yes, and replace the Provisioning Forum 2 9.52%
Yes, and replace the Racing Forum 2 9.52%
Voters: 21. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-01-2008
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
I am not in favor and I have my hands full already. This is an adult site and it is up to parents to supervise their kids when here. I will not stand in the way of a kids forum...but don't expect me to monitor or moderate kid threads. ALSO internet predators can pretend to be kids and do so all the time. Consider that and all the instances we have had of "impersonaters" and whackos on here over the last couple of years.
Old 02-01-2008

sanjuanderer is on a distinguished road
Children should not play on the internet without direct parental supervision
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-01-2008

xort has a spectacular aura about xort has a spectacular aura about xort has a spectacular aura about
how about mixing the livaboard & provisioning forums together. My wife and I have used both for some good info.

Closing any forum at night penalizes our upside down friends.

I would think it would be good to allow adults some access to answer kids questions. Perhaps that is one area that would need close attention so the 'big kids' don't take over.
Old 02-01-2008

jimmyb116 is on a distinguished road
Cam sorry You feel that way and sorry I started this. Kids use the internet its just a fact of life. Kids sail and boat, without them the sport will be dead in about 20 years and that would be sad. with all the great people including yourself on Sailnet I thought it would be as safe as posible place for the kids to interact. Maby i was wrong.

James Kathy and Carrie (our future)
Old 02-01-2008
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough
Everybody,

I probably should have consulted Cam before posting this. As many of you know, I am not 100% back here yet. I simply cannot. Cam has taken on the full burden of this thing (and given the fact that I basically talked him into coming back) it is TOTALLY unfair for me to put any more burden on him. Period. I have tried on many instances to thank him for all the support here, and I hope you do too (even on this matter).

I am trying to get back in the swing of things, but I am still some time out. As such, I think we will leave this thread going to collect or reject support, but until either I can commit to fully supporting it (am back close to 100%) or Cam supports it - I think it should be postponed.

I am on record for thinking it is a good idea. There are risks - but it is worth the risks. I would be very interested in what other parents and non-parents think. I feel there are not many safe sites and places for kids to go to talk. At least this woulod have some supervision. I also agree with Cam that this is primarily an adult site (with moderation). As such, the ultimate responsibility would go with the parents... not the mods.

We can work through many of these issues. But even I (when back 100%) will not take this responsibility unless there is a clear support from other parents and members.

- CD

PS On a lighter matter... has anyone looked at the voting??? It is even split amongst all four options!!??? HAHA!. You guys really make it easy on us, you know...

1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow My Blog at:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow me on Facebook:

Old 02-01-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
I'd have to agree with Cam... there are far too many slimy people out there that would attempt to focus and infiltrate a children specific forum... and it would make moderation a serious nightmare. Also, confirming that the kids were actually kids would be a problem.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 02-01-2008

JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough
In theory it is a nice idea, but the unfortunate reality is that the internet is not a good venue for kids. We just saw a borderline kid/adult get in over her head very quickly in the AFOC thread. It's hard for me to see how we'd keep youngsters away from the many threads that contain inappropriate content (lord knows they're not going to read my posts about CO or propane heaters!) And I just can't see how we'd police for content, language, bullying, etc, much less trolls/stalkers/predators, even if we could have a separate, locked, kids corner.

Sorry about the less than enthusiastic response, I realize the thought is well intended. If you go ahead with it anyway, be sure not to call it the "Children's" or "Kids" Forum or anything that would ping on a google search. Call it "Swallows and Amazons" or something like that.

And definitely eliminate the PM as well as Rep Points/Power features.

Last edited by JohnRPollard; 02-01-2008 at 10:52 PM. Reason: clarification
Old 02-01-2008

Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice
Now that I gave it some thought, and read your opinions on safety and security...I don't know what to think either...I liked the idea....but after what happened here today, I don't know anymore.

What can I say...
Old 02-01-2008

jimmyb116 is on a distinguished road
After the crap that was written on another thread about Gui today I agree we should just tank this idea, to bad the world has become the way it is today.Carrie will not be alowed on this site if Fred wants to talk to her he can e-mail us.
Old 02-01-2008

rennisaint is on a distinguished road
I think a kids forum would be great for younger kids. As a programmer I guess here is how I would think to set it up with some safe guards that if it were to be done you might consider implementing.

1. restricted login: Only users with positive rep (meaning they have been here for more than a few minutes) can submit their children for the forum. This will not deter someone serious about interfering with the forum but will stop random defacing.

2. restricted posting: Only the restricted users can post, others that would like to post may do so through a moderator. The easiest way to do this would be to have a thread in the off-topic forum that you can submit your post to and then a moderator can move it for you.

3. post lag: In tv and radio production there is a lag between recording and transmission, in the production booth there is a big red button. This button is usually called the oh $h!t button. It simply cuts the transmitters power. I am not sure if it is even possible to do this, but something like this may be implementable?

4. block pm's: this one's obvious

5. block _external_ links: I know this may seem like defeating the point, but it would be better to have links go through a moderator

6. pray: this has been tried hundreds of times and to my knowledge has only ever failed spectacularly. However, I think it is important to keep trying. Mostly because I was, I'd say, one of the first people to grow up with computers and the internet (I was 6 when I started dialing in). So I wish there had been people around trying to monitor access. Though, on the flip-side here I am a (relatively) well adjusted adult with several degrees...

Therefore, I abstain from voting, but applaud any effort made and will help in any possible way I can. I truly hope this could work, and believe this would be the community to pull it off if anyone can.