Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-05-2008

MoonSailer is on a distinguished road
What has circumcision got to do with boats and seawater??? Maybe sea water would hurt too much to wash up afterwards?? Even if I build a boat no circumcision for me!!!! Nowif I ever get the right boat a circumnavigation would be possible.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-09-2008
CosmosMariner

CosmosMariner is on a distinguished road
The French doctor was Alain Bombard and he did the crossing in a 15 ft inflatable in the 1950s. He is the founder of Zodiac.
Old 02-23-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
The NorSea 27 vs. the Flicka

I know most of you are aware of Heather and her father Gene, and Heather's recent aborted circumnavigation attempt in s/v Flight of Years, her Flicka.

I was recently reading a back issue of Blue Water Sailing... from May of 2007. In it, I found a letter to the editor that read:

Quote:
Don't forget the Nor'Sea 27

How can you do a squib on Great Small Cruisers (BWS March 2007) and leave out the safest, strongest, sweetest and most seaworthy one of all times, the Nor'sea 27.

Which of those others has done five flawless circumnavigations, including one around Cape Horn, plus 150 Atlantic and Pacific crossings?

If my daughter Heather didn't love her subscription to Blue Water Sailng so much, she would probably cancel you out for this affront—then I wouldn't be able to enjoy your magazine free of charge each month.

Heather, forever 39, divorced and with a son in the Naval Academy and a daughter graduating from college with a double Russian major, has sold her real estate business and her home, cars and all worldly goods are up on the block. She has ordered a new Nor'sea 27, and as soon as it is finished she is going to embark from Steinhatchee, Fla., on the Gulf Coast, for a protracted solo circumnavigation.

And with 50 years of ocean sailing experience in small boats, I wouldn't let her leave the dock in any other boat.

Dr. Gene Neill
Mayo, FL
I found the letter a bit humorous, given everything that's happened since in the last 10 months. I guess the Flicka wasn't considered a seaworthy boat in Gene's opinion... and maybe that's the problem.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 02-23-2008
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
Dawg...that is a hoot. Good dig! Personal opinion is that Heather is just fine as a person...but Gene is not someone I'd want to crew with... to put it charitably!
Old 02-23-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
I thought it was rather funny, in light of Heather having a Flicka... and how emphatic Gene's letter was about the qualities of the Nor'Sea 27. I wonder if that 50 years includes the stint he did in Hotel Greybar. Last I checked, they don't have a marina there.

I don't blame Heather for putting off her circumnavigation, especially since it seems that it was more her father's dream than hers...

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

Old 02-23-2008

chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough
May 2007 was during the time frame she was actually preparing the flicka isn't it?
Is there just a LITTLE bit of dishonesty here or what?
Old 02-23-2008
Telstar 28

Well, s/v Flight of Years was bought in late April, so yes, she was working on the boat in May 2007... but given the lead times of magazines, I am guessing the letter was written in March 2007 at the latest, since they generally have about four-to-six week lead time on magazines.

I don't think any intentional dishonesty is involved, since Gene and Heather were in negotiations to buy a new Nor'Sea 27 as I recall it, but got taken to the cleaners in some way in the process.

Telstar 28
New England

Old 02-23-2008
never convicted

KODAD is on a distinguished road
He sure likes the word flawless alot

100T Master NC
Old 02-23-2008
Telstar 28

LOL... Gene seems to have very strong opinions himself, but seems to dislike anyone disagreeing with him.
Quote:
Originally Posted by KODAD View Post
He sure likes the word flawless alot

Telstar 28
New England

Old 02-24-2008
Wish I never found SN!

SimonV will become famous soon enough
You can't pick your relatives.

I love my boat
S/V GOODONYA
Brisbane
present location Heading to the Whitesundays

DELIVERY SKIPPER
Drinking Rum before 10am makes you a Pirate NOT an alcohlic