Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-24-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Very true...
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonV View Post
You can't pick your relatives.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-24-2008
Owner, Green Bay Packers

sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog View Post
LOL... Gene seems to have very strong opinions himself, but seems to dislike anyone disagreeing with him.
And that differentiates him from most of us on Sailnet in what way? (g)
Old 02-24-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
SWAY-

If someone disagrees with one of us... we'll usually dig in and keep on going... he tends to run away... look at all the forums that he no longer posts on.

One of my favorite posts from him, was off of another forum, where someone had asked him about why s/v Flight of Years didn't have an autopilot as well as the windvane, since they're really complimentary systems... his reply was that autopilots were usable under sail...and the no one had invented an autopilot that tended the sail sheets.... or something to that effect... It was hilarious... Then he said he didn't like being attacked, when several people posted that autopilots worked relatively well under sail... and left the forum.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailaway21 View Post
And that differentiates him from most of us on Sailnet in what way? (g)

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

Old 02-24-2008

artbyjody is just really nice artbyjody is just really nice artbyjody is just really nice artbyjody is just really nice
He ended up leaving the forum because because he wasn't the most qualified sailor here and realized that he wasn't the big fish considering the goal he was trying achieve through his daughter...Kinda akin to a con artist that realizes the jig is up and the trade can not be applied here...If he was a reasonable sailor he would of cared less one way or the other and just left his opinions as his opinions...After all we all are pretty opinionated about what works for us....the better sailor does listen and probably actually tries contrarian ways to solve a problem or implement a solution (just never says anything unless it works for them)....Always makes for interesting reflection however...

S/V "
" -
1983, Barberis Show 38! or

Old 03-14-2008
Broad Reachin'

kwaltersmi is on a distinguished road
Just noticed an update on Heather's website, for those that are interested: Flight of Years - Ship's Log

Her boat is now officially for sale.

Old 03-14-2008

JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough
Thanks for the heads-up, Kwalt.

From her website:

Quote:
I am therefore forced to sell Flight of Years. I will not itemize here all the costs and work which have gone into her over the last year. Suffice it to say I have countless hours of work and some $100,000 in her (provable by receipt), including thousands of dollars for rigging, equipment, the Monitor self-steering wind vane, the Air-X wind generator, satellite phone, dinghy and motor, as well as $14,000 for custom-built Ultimate Offshore Sails by the German company, Schattauer Sails. You have only to read the months of preparations on this web site to see the work, love and money which have been lavished on her.

I offer Flight of Years, the last Flicka ever built, and the most beautiful boat I have ever seen, for $73,000.00.

Pacific Seacraft Crealock 31 #62

NEVER CALLS CRUISINGDAD BACK....CAN"T TAKE THE ACCENT
Old 03-14-2008
Broad Reachin'

kwaltersmi is on a distinguished road
That's a mighty expensive Flicka, but considering the work that went into it and the equipment on board, plus it's the newest Flicka available, it might just be worth it.

Old 03-14-2008

Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice

73K for a 20 footer is a tough sell !!!!!!!! Perhaps if she'd upgrade an older boat such as an Alberg 30 and put 100k into it, as she says she did to the Flicka, she might do better off but the 20 foot 73K boat buyer is a RARE beast!!!!!

There were lots of problems with this from the get go and it appears, as usual, the tail end re-sale was not even considered....!

© Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.

Last edited by Maine Sail; 03-14-2008 at 04:25 PM.
Old 03-14-2008
Telstar 28

While I sympathize with Heather and her current bout of medical problems, I am just wondering how it went from:

The years for each of us do indeed fly, and there comes a time when you have to reach out, like for the brass ring, and grab a strong hold on the remaining few.

Quote:
This is my brass ring. This is my dream. This is my Flight of Years.

"Flight of Years" is not just the name of a boat. It is a lifetime, the journey of a lifetime, and a dream.

Some dreams are born in an instant; others mature over time. My dream, my Flight of Years, began nearly forty years ago and has grown quietly ever since until, finally, it is no longer a dream.

Now it is reality.

Join me on the journey. It is only just beginning.
to this:

Quote:
The weeks since returning have been, and remain, the most difficult of my life. I have not been able – and will not now – relay to you all that has happened. There is no sense in it. It is taking everything I have to write these few words to you.

My medical bills have escalated and I now face the probability of surgery on my declining hand. My funds are dwindling and I have returned to work in a real estate market which is not currently meeting the bills. I am in the process of relocating to Gainesville, where I will rebuild my life anew, continuing to work in real estate, and probably, for a time, a part-time job as well to make ends meet.

I am therefore forced to sell Flight of Years. I will not itemize here all the costs and work which have gone into her over the last year. Suffice it to say I have countless hours of work and some $100,000 in her (provable by receipt), including thousands of dollars for rigging, equipment, the Monitor self-steering wind vane, the Air-X wind generator, satellite phone, dinghy and motor, as well as $14,000 for custom-built Ultimate Offshore Sails by the German company, Schattauer Sails. You have only to read the months of preparations on this web site to see the work, love and money which have been lavished on her.

I offer Flight of Years, the last Flicka ever built, and the most beautiful boat I have ever seen, for $73,000.00.

If you are not a serious buyer with the means to purchase, or if you have unkind things to say, please do not write me. I cannot bear it.

To those of you who have written me kind and encouraging words, and who have been with me in your hearts, thank you. It means more than you know.
in such a short period of time. Her dream, in her own words, slowly grew over nearly forty years... and died in just two short months.

This, to me, is just yet another argument for going sooner rather than later, and not waiting until some day. Fate and time have a funny way of intervening if we don't grab our chance while it is still within our reach, and this also shows just how quickly our dreams can be pulled from our reach.

I wish Heather well... and feel sorry for the death of her dream. I had hoped that she would have been able to sail and cruise in s/v Flight of Years and get the necessary experience and skills to allow her to resume her circumnavigation.

P.S. This is post 20,000.

Telstar 28
New England

Last edited by sailingdog; 03-14-2008 at 11:44 AM.
Old 03-14-2008
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
That is too bad. I hope she can turn things around, but I am afraid she is also going to learn about boat values in the near future as well. No way it is going to go for more than $50k.
Her dream died not because she did not go soon enough or have a good enough vessel. It died because she did not prepare herself for the voyage and got caught up in the dreaming rather than the doing.