Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-14-2008

chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough
Her dream died because it was her daddy's dream.
She should have spent at least one month, hell one overnighter practicing sailing. To think a circumnavigation is canceled because of a broken companion way hatch - what's that some epoxy and two hours of fiddling?
I wish her well, but no way I'd pay 70k for ANY Flicka. If she put 100k into it she must have wallpapered with 10 dollar bills.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-14-2008

artbyjody is just really nice artbyjody is just really nice artbyjody is just really nice artbyjody is just really nice
Maybe she will get lucky and someone will just purchase it for the price for nostalgia sake? Unlikely I would think however, unless she tries to sell it on e-bay with the whole 'historical write-up of her adventure' as the marketing basis.... who knows though... I know there a similar Flicka for sale here in Seattle a few weeks back but it was going for around 25K if I recall correctly...Wish her luck on getting back on her feet though - she'll always be able to tell the tale ...

S/V "
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
" -
1983, Barberis Show 38! or
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 03-14-2008

chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough
In the short story aisle near you:

Heather Neil "I Turned Around"

(take off on Tanya A's "I've Been Around" intended)
Old 03-14-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Nah, she and her dad probably just paid someone to do all the work...you can rack up some serious boat bills doing that...

Think about the battery issue...they had they flown in from the distributor, and when one was broken in shipping, they had the owner of another electrical distributor drive around, in Heather's car, to get replacements. You don't get service like that without spending some serious boat bucks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucklesR View Post
Her dream died because it was her daddy's dream.
She should have spent at least one month, hell one overnighter practicing sailing. To think a circumnavigation is canceled because of a broken companion way hatch - what's that some epoxy and two hours of fiddling?
I wish her well, but no way I'd pay 70k for ANY Flicka. If she put 100k into it she must have wallpapered with 10 dollar bills.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 07-11-2008

jaxcaptain is on a distinguished road
Hard lesson learned

From what I heard Nor' Sea took her initial (significant) payment and put it towards completion of an unfinished boat for a prior buyer. This would blow her much hyped to the day departure, wrecking the publicity, ergo the reduced budget Flika. Her dad was to be her eyes and ears, but too bad he lacked the sense to tell her she needed fundamental sailing skills first. I followed her preparations, she did much right but when it came down to it she lacked any real experience with handling severe conditions. So she left after her departure date then sailed into the storm that delayed her departure. Since the only storm tactic she knew was to deploy a sea anchor and hide below she spent numerous days in 6 foot seas in a 20' boat and got so sick she couldn't keep down water. Her story is a convenient way not to admit she got scared back to land. Good thing as it probably saved her or others lives in not having to rescue her. The saddest thing is her dad supporting her efforts. If he is so knowledgeable about boats and cruising why did he not just say "develop the skills to cruise" or "my precious child are you completely nuts?"

Last edited by jaxcaptain; 07-11-2008 at 08:47 PM.
Old 07-11-2008

gtod25 is on a distinguished road
Flight of Years - Sale pending...

Quote:
Originally Posted by camaraderie View Post
T No way it is going to go for more than $50k.
1998 Pacific Seacraft Flicka Boat For Sale

Asking reduced to $59.9K, I suspect that the agreed price is closer to Cam's estimate. The whole episode was like watching a train wreck. I hope good old dad is taking some of the financial hit. And NO, I am not taking any pleasure in this. By taking a modicum of advice from any number of sources this apparently nice lady would have ended successfully peddling her circumnavigation book at boat shows a few years from now.