Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-04-2008

dave6330 is on a distinguished road
Moonfish - good point - We used a decision matrix when comparing / selecting our first boat. Helped us score the boats we looked at and kept us from getting confused as to which boat had what feature and how they really stacked up against each other.

V/R

Dave

"Fight the good fight, holding on to faith and a good conscience. Some have rejected these and so have shipwrecked thier faith"
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-04-2008

RichardElliott is on a distinguished road
Show Boats

Why in the world did Tartan put that M Mouse fold out transom platform on an otherwise gorgeous boat?
Old 02-04-2008
Hitchin' a ride

bestfriend is a jewel in the rough bestfriend is a jewel in the rough bestfriend is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRPollard View Post
Assuming you mean the Chesapeake Light Craft dinghies, they are neat, aren't they? We have the 11.5' sailing pram and it's a lot of fun, to build and sail!
JP yes, thanks for the clarification. Have you tried a small motor on it? I have a seven year old and I think he would love to help me build one.

Moonfish I think all of the boats there have their own specific uses and followings. On the whole, considering the years of production runs, they are all pretty equal to me. Any smart buyer will consider the individual boat and its intended use rather than the brand itself. (same thing you said basically) No brand wars here from me, just observations of the few boats I saw.

Vaya con Dios
Old 02-04-2008
Not So Senior Member

Sapperwhite has a spectacular aura about Sapperwhite has a spectacular aura about Sapperwhite has a spectacular aura about
At last years show in Philly, I took my girlfriend to see some boats. She had no idea, but she always made comments about boats based only on size. "Oh, that looks nice" pointing at a 30 something Hunter, just because it was bigger than my boat. I too wanted to look around on them to see how they had advanced. I had been on countless Hunters when I was buying, but I had only been on older ones and was curious about the new.

The new Hunters are way nicer than old Hunters, but they are still Hunters. They make fine bay boats, and thats great if thats what you want. The interior screamed cheap to me though. Flourecent lights everywhere casting that hospital feel, the wood looked like particle board, and those glass halfwalls over the sink...... not for me. My girlfriend learned that size doesn't equal quality that day, something I had apparently failed to show her otherwise

I don't know if they were in Chi, but I thought the Hake Seaward 26RK was a pretty damn neat boat for what it was. That would make a cool trailerable if you had that much to drop on a trailerable.

The one thing I noticed about all of the boats that I did not like was the door hardware. Every maker has moved to those push button, flush mount door latches, and every boat that I went on had at least one that was inopperable. You either couldn't get the thing to pop out, or it wouldn't push back in and stay there (pop right back out). I think Perko or ABI makes them, but I just don't like em.
Old 02-04-2008

Siamese is on a distinguished road
I'm gonna have to agree with T34 with regard to the Catalina having the better built interior.

Which is the better overall boat...I'm not going anywhere near that argument.

We were shopping for a new boat last Spring and it was down to the Hunter 31 and the Catalina 309. In fact, I'd done the online virtual tour of the Hunter so many times over the winter that I was SURE that would be my choice. At that point I hadn't been on either boat.

'Saw the Hunter at the boat show and was let down by the interior. I'm a woodworker (by hobby) and cast a critical eye on joinery and materials. I saw all the sharp edges on the Hunter's interior, and a lot of veneers that may or may not have been real wood, and applied over what, I don't know. I couldn't tell if the fiddles were one piece or some kind of veneer on some kind of substrate.

We moved on and looked at the 309 at the dealer and chose it immediately. At first blush, the Catalina interior is less finished looking than the Hunter. Plain. BUT...in 12 years of use the Catalina's gonna look a LOT better than the Hunter. Those sharp Hunter corners and edges and veneers will get bumped and be nicked big-time. Fixable? The rounded, plainer edges on the Catalina will take impacts better (solid teak, too) and if the trim takes a good hit, it can be sanded out and easily refinished, as there is no stain in the wood to match (not as pretty as a rich stain, though). Re-apply a water based varnish and yer good to go.

Also, compare the doors on the two boats. Hunter is some kind of a veneer and mystery wood sandwich while the Catalina doors are solid teak, heavy panel doors. Totally refinishable and fixable. That's no accident...the decision must have been made on the doors to go solid, more expensive, and fixable, realizing that a lot of buyers are going to miss this advantage at the boat shows and yield to the glitzier Hunter. Yeah, we're talking production boat, not custom blue-water vessel, but it's easy to find whole pieces of teak throughout the Catalina interior. Lift up the lid on the 309 nav station and you'll see some really beefy looking solid teak, not ply.

The Hunter, IMHO exemplifies the adage: Beauty is only skin deep.

Shame on Catalina for not banging the drum a little more regarding the maintain-ability of their interiors. I recall a small reference to it somewhere in their literature, but easily missed. IMHO they've made some excellent choices for the boater who wants their pride and joy to shine down the road. Given the intense competition between the big three, and all the compromises that need to be made to keep prices reasonable, I think it was just plain gutsy of Catalina to go the simple and repairable route (but just a smidge dumb not to make sure that feature figures prominently in their sales campaign).
Old 02-04-2008
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardElliott View Post
Why in the world did Tartan put that M Mouse fold out transom platform on an otherwise gorgeous boat?
Having owned a boat with one of those mickey mouse transoms...and feeling the same as you when I bought it...it is a WONDERFUL platform for boarding dinghys, loading groceries, diving gear etc. ....a GREAT feature for a cruising boat is NOW my opinion.
Old 02-04-2008
Thanks Courtney.

T34C has a spectacular aura about T34C has a spectacular aura about T34C has a spectacular aura about
Moonfish- I guess that means you don't read any sailing magazines, since they are just filled with peoples opinions?????
Hell, Bob Perry makes a living giving his opinion on other peoples boats. (And his are still ugly.)
Old 02-04-2008
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by T34C View Post
Moonfish- I guess that means you don't read any sailing magazines, since they are just filled with peoples opinions?????
Hell, Bob Perry makes a living giving his opinion on other peoples boats. (And his are still ugly.)
You calling my boat UGLY?? I've got my big red EASY button ready for you!!
Old 02-04-2008

blt2ski will become famous soon enough
As the old saying goes, boat types are an opinion. Personally, I would not take what many of you call boats, ie Valients, Tayana's etc. They are good to excellent boats tho! I prefer the likes of the C&C's, Deilers, X-Yachts, or Jeanneaus non existant Sun Fast line. ie cruiser/racer to racer/cruiser style boats. The new jeanneaus are plain uuuuugly, those deck salons yucko! No matter the brand for that matter!

I did not go onto any of the Hunters at the recent Seattle show, nor did I go on any Catilina's. i did go on a jeanneau or two, C&C, Benateau 36.7, wife actually liked this one, surprisingly enough! Hanse was one of her favorites for the interior. Otherwise, the travelers on the cabin top, away from the helms person, what a joke!

Again, it all depends upon what you are looking for! My opinions are mine, yours are yours. In the end, whom cares. I still wish I could fine a 35'ish foot version of Giulietta! AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH in my dreams! In the meant time, my 23 yr old jeanneau Arcadia, will have to do, steel keel and all! Along with a few other things folks do not seem to like, yet she is fast, nimble, traveler where it belongs, in the cockpit.........races well...........We did find a really nice 5 yr old used rig..............now to negotiate!

marty
Old 02-04-2008

Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by T34C View Post
You call this ugly? I hope you're not comparing it to a T34 cause of you are you might need to get your eyes checked??

I'm guessing you think this is ugly too: Jakatan

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

© Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.

Last edited by Maine Sail; 02-04-2008 at 09:28 PM.