Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-04-2008
Hitchin' a ride

bestfriend is a jewel in the rough bestfriend is a jewel in the rough bestfriend is a jewel in the rough
Maybe he was thinking about STEVE Perry designs.

Vaya con Dios
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 02-04-2008

Freesail99 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to Freesail99
Quote:
Originally Posted by bestfriend View Post
Maybe he was thinking about STEVE Perry designs.

His voice is like chalk on a blackboard to me ......
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 02-04-2008
Thanks Courtney.

T34C has a spectacular aura about T34C has a spectacular aura about T34C has a spectacular aura about
Wait, are those opinions I hear????
Old 02-04-2008

Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freesail99 View Post
His voice is like chalk on a blackboard to me ......
So is the "radar arch" the marine equivalent of Steve Perry's "mullet" & the "walk through transom" the marine equivalent of the "wife beater" ??

I'm soooo confused now see what all these opinions have done....

"Honey, I really think we should get the boat with the "stern mullet".. We could put solar panels up there and dry laundry from it and the "wife beater transom" would be our stoop away from home and I could smoke my butts there instead of in the cabin just like at home"...

Tongue fully in cheek and not meant to offend anyone with a walk through or radar arch. really just designing boats through the eyes of Steve Perry not Bob Perry!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

© Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.

Old 02-05-2008
Not So Senior Member

Sapperwhite has a spectacular aura about Sapperwhite has a spectacular aura about Sapperwhite has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by halekai36 View Post
.... really just designing boats through the eyes of Steve Perry not Bob Perry!!....
Do you think they can lay gel coat in that ugly pattern on his shirt?

Quote:
Originally Posted by t34c
Wait, are those opinions I hear????
Like Sailhog told me in a PM once, I don't have opinions, I have FACTS!
Old 02-05-2008
Owner, Green Bay Packers

sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice
I'll reiterate my comments to bestfriend. Upon viewing the Hunter's I found their hulls reminiscent of the dutch flute boat, which was fine if you lived in the 17th century and were engaged in the West Indies trade. I've always felt that a boat just has to look right. If it doesn't, even though you cannot put it into words, it probably isn't right. Form follows function. And since I cannot contemplate needing the function of a Hunter, I probably rejected the form out of hand. Topsides styling seems to take it's cues from Bayliner which seems to be emulating mid-sixties StarCraft cabin cruisers. The trim somehow reminded me of how they used to attach vinyl tops to cars. I couldn't help but think that I'd be little surprised to return next year and see the new styling cues including vestigial fins in a nod to the 1950's auto industry. I did not go on board for a view of the interior as I couldn't see owning something so off-putting from the outside. They'll sell a million of 'em, no doubt.

Like BF, I liked the C&S 38' but had a couple of quibbles. While the traveller is indeed right forward of the wheel, the wheel alone is rather more than enough to try to get around when moving from the helm forward. Add in the fact that you've now got to step over the traveller, each and every time, I could envision any number of inadvertent trips to the deck, especially in a seaway. While we're on the fat end, I'd add that the wheel was less than impressive in that it was seemingly coated with the remnants of an old hula-hoop. Looked cheap and felt cheap. The decent sized chain locker had zero provision for drainage of any sort. While it's hatch cover seemed robust enough and reasonably watertight I could easily see that the locker itself, some 2' deep and 18-24" square could easily become either perpetually half full of water or a regular chisel and shop-vac cleaning job. The rest of the deck layout was quite satisfactory. Below decks was admirably thought out with exceptional stowage options towards the lazarette. BF and I determined that he'd have no problems stowing his surf board easily in the port quarter of it. The only quibble to make about the interior was that there was no provision for dividing a sink that would take about 3 gallons of water to reach a 1" covering of it's bottom. The only really serious problem with this boat was the inability of getting BF off of her and on to some of her more modest sisters for at least a look see. In fact, I have no evidence to contradict the fact that BF may be posting from within her confines even now, while she's on a trailer to Miami!

Memory fails me on which boat BF and I were on that had the spinnaker lines led so nicely out of the gunwales to the cockpit. That is, until you went below and discovered that, should a line come adrift, you apparently had to disassemble a good portion of the boat's interior to re-reeve it!

The Chessy Lights were just that-light! Very impressive and I too can see one in my future. Assembly looked all that BoatWorks (RIP) promised in their review.

I've long admired the looks of the Alerion Express and the 28' at the show did nothing to dull the impression. The self-tending jib's boom though is much more impressive in person than photographed. I do not say impressive in a positive way. This is not a foredeck that you're going to find friendly to be upon in anything but the most predictable conditions. In serious conditions, that boom is fully capable of hurting someone. It is much more substantial and takes up much more space than you'd gather from the photos. Hey, every goddess has to have a mole someplace.

Sailing magazine was offering absolutely great deals on subscription renewals, sufficient to offset the entire price of admission to the show!

Gerhauer's booth was nothing fancy but loaded with gear, not just display pieces, and T34C picked up some very impressive snatch blocks that he let me touch, once.

To my dismay the folks at Poli-glow were offering absolutely no discounts on their fine product, even though I absolutely stole 7 minutes out of BF's life giving him the sales pitch for them. Another 30 seconds and I'd have either had a new job or BF would have taken the Poli-Prep scrub brush to my binnacle.

If the very gracious Laser salesman is reading this, you'll by now be sorry that you elected to be skiing while your Giant's were a thumpin' the Pats. Enjoyed our conversation and, if you get the urge to go to Lambeau Field some day, PM me here.
Old 02-05-2008
Hitchin' a ride

bestfriend is a jewel in the rough bestfriend is a jewel in the rough bestfriend is a jewel in the rough
Technology is amazing, isn't it? With my new iphone I can travel across the country in the hull of yacht, picking up wireless signals and cell networks to bring you the latest from the mind of a rambling idiot. As Sway noted, the port compartment will handle my surfboard, but on this trip I have opted to stock it with Cheetos and stolen Poli-Glo.

Vaya con Dios
Old 02-05-2008
Hitchin' a ride

Sway forgot to mention one very important piece of evidence. He happened upon a keel of great significance. It seems that Giu was not the first to put the design of his keel into use. Here is a picture of Sway next to his discovery.

And upon further investigation, here is a photo of the original designer.

Vaya con Dios
Old 02-05-2008

poopdeckpappy has a spectacular aura about poopdeckpappy has a spectacular aura about
I realize opinions are like buttholes and nobody wants to hear mine, but, My Gawd mun, Bob Perry designs are ugly ??????

They're beautious.............ful....ly designed
Old 02-05-2008
Cruiser/Lats and Atts TV

Moonfish is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by T34C View Post
Moonfish- I guess that means you don't read any sailing magazines, since they are just filled with peoples opinions?????
Hell, Bob Perry makes a living giving his opinion on other peoples boats. (And his are still ugly.)
T - I read 'em (some of them, anyway), and I even enjoy reading other people's opinions. I just don't take someone's opinion as fact. Well, I try not to. I'll admit that the line between opinion and fact can be blurry when someone like Bob Perry is singing. I mean when Steve Perry is designing. I mean, oh nevermind... I just find a level of amusement in the polar opposite of opinions that boat designs, cars and trucks, beer, the opposite sex, etc. brings out in people. It occassionally makes for fun reading on this forum, too!

Besides, it's my OPINION that some of Bob Perry's boats are beautiful. I've seen some not-so-pretty ones come off his board, too...

"Always approach the dock at the speed you wish to hit it."
s/v VENUS
1978 North Sea 33 Pilothouse Cutter (Ta Chiao)

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.