Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-04-2008
DS Fleet 23 Captain

PDuckX is on a distinguished road
Dinner at Friday Harbor

We will be doing a week in the San Juans this summer and have decided to spend one night in friday harbor as our restocking, washing, and get the kids some ice cream stop, not to mention drop off one member of the crew and pick up another. Since we have the opportunity to not prepare dinner that night, I was wondering if there are any recommendations for a place or would we be better off just staying on the boat and doing our own thing? It needs to be a place that would be appropriate to take children who are 4 and 8.

Thanks,
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-04-2008

djodenda will become famous soon enough djodenda will become famous soon enough
Lots of places to eat at Friday Harbor.... Others will chime in on specifics, I expect... What is your cruising itinerary?

1987 CS 36 Merlin "Kyrie"

"They drove a dump truck full of money up to my house. I'm not made of stone!" -Krusty the Clown
Old 02-04-2008
I don't discuss my member

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay
Fstbttms is on a distinguished road
I never miss a chance to go to the Front Street Alehouse. Good food, good beer.
Old 02-04-2008
DS Fleet 23 Captain

PDuckX is on a distinguished road
Last time we were in the San Juans we stayed in the interior of the main islands and hit some of the standard spots, Stuart island, Jones Island, Roche Harbor, Fisherman Bay, Deer Harbor, etc. This time we are going to try and hit around the outside, Sucia, American/English Camp, Doe island etc. We haven't really done much for the intinerary yet, we just have to be in friday harbor at the halfway point. The one perk I like to have is a dock at night. I know it doesn't always happen, but it is so much easier with the little kids. They get a bit stir crazy if they can't get on and off the boat when we get to a location.
Old 02-04-2008

kiprichard is on a distinguished road
Just had dinner at the DownRigger last week. It's over looking the harbour and the food was great - but it's not cheap.
Old 02-04-2008

djodenda will become famous soon enough djodenda will become famous soon enough
My kids really enjoyed our trip to Sidney last summer. My son, in particular enjoyed the downtown marina, where he could watch TV on four screens at the same time while sitting on a recliner.

Both kids really enjoyed the "Scratch Patch", located just south of the marina. We spent most of an afternoon panning for "gold", and sorting through semi-precious stones.

It would be a nice activity for your kids, I think...

1987 CS 36 Merlin "Kyrie"

"They drove a dump truck full of money up to my house. I'm not made of stone!" -Krusty the Clown
Old 02-04-2008
Cruiser/Lats and Atts TV

Moonfish is on a distinguished road
I'll second the motion on the Front Street Ale House. It's right next to the marina, and they have a nice variety of foods, none of which are overly expensive. It is the island, though, so you're going to be a dollar or two more for just about everything. Plus, the Ale House is a pretty decent family place.

And, if you happen to be a Lats & Atts Cruising Club member, we have our very own "Harbor Hangout"! Yup, your first drink is free there. Anyway, it's called Latitude 48, and it serves some real good food. Upper end of mid-range prices, but the only can they open there is stewed tomatoes - with which they make homemade ketchup!

Kiprichard is right, Downriggers is a good restaurant as well, right across the street from the Ale House. Not as overly expensive as Vinny's Ristorante (great food!) or The Place (more great food just under the Ice Cream shop in the bright red building by the ferry landing), but very tatsy.

Let me know if you want more options or if you have a particular style you're looking for.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"Always approach the dock at the speed you wish to hit it."
s/v VENUS
1978 North Sea 33 Pilothouse Cutter (Ta Chiao)

Old 03-20-2008

cosmoking is on a distinguished road
My favorite place in Friday Harbor is... Orcas Island Ok, that's the next island over, but I always found it so much more low key than the island of San Juan & all the Friday Harbor fanciness, and the town of Eastsound has most supplies we've ever needed. It's true there's no proper marina in Eastsound, and you have to watch out for northerlies & southerlies in that sound as there's supposedly a serious wind channeling effect. But it's beautiful scenery there on Orcas (heck anywhere in the San Juans).

Enjoy the trip! Don't row your dinghy in front of the ferries at night (as we almost did
Old 03-20-2008

cosmoking is on a distinguished road
By the way there is a pretty marina at Rosario Resort, halfway up Eastsound. This is on the grounds of a historic old hotel. Not much in way of supplies there except fuel, pumpout, expensive groceries, and massages & hot tubs. But it's a nice place to stop and stretch the legs. You can walk freely through the old mansion turned hotel there.
Old 03-20-2008
I don't discuss my member

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay
Fstbttms is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cosmoking View Post
My favorite place in Friday Harbor is... Orcas Island Ok, that's the next island over, but I always found it so much more low key than the island of San Juan & all the Friday Harbor fanciness...
Holy mackerel! Friday Harbor "fancy"?!? Friday Harbor is Mayberry with a decent hotel and a view!