Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-05-2008

sab30 is on a distinguished road
Becoming a yacht broker?

As a second career I am interested in becoming a yacht broker. My entire life has been built around sales and working with customers and prospects...love sales and getting to bring people together with something they want. Although we wont be required to work once we leave our current career (financial world) I would like still like to be involved with something on a more laid back level. As we will be living on a boat seems to be something that might be perfect for me...sooo I have some questions:

1. Are there any special courses or exams or is it all dependent on knowledge, sales experience and personality?

2. Im assuming its 100% commssion based which is fine but what is the normal "split" with the employer. I have been told that standard commission is 10% up to the 100k and then 5% after that..not sure if thats accurate but Im assuming a 60/40 split - 40% to the company...

3. Any former brokers that can offer advice of the good bad and ugly would be much appreciated...

Any constructive comments would be mucho appreciated...

Thanks in advance...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sab30
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 02-05-2008
Senior Moment

SailorMitch will become famous soon enough
I just checked your profile and you're on the left coast, but there are a couple of ads for brokers in the current issue of SpinSheet, a Chesapeake Bay sailing mag. One in particular specified prior sales and service experience of any kind, so you'd qualify for that one. Good luck!

Oh yeah, there is an association of yacht brokers that does certify people. Can't recall the exact title, but surely someone on here knows about it.

I recently retired after 37 years on the job and I have to say I have not considered two second careers you read about retirees pursuing all the time -- surveyor and broker. Both seem pretty well staffed as of now. But that's just me.

(The wife of the marina owner where I keep my boat did tell me that if I keep hanging around there she will give me some sand paper and a paint brush when the weather breaks and people want their bottoms done. FYI -- I didn't go there at all last week, but will go tomorrow. I'll stay out of the office so she won't see me.)

"Compassion and tolerance are not a sign of weakness, but a sign of strength." The Dalai Lama

good planets are hard to find-- a song by steve forbert

I have but one lamp by which my feet are guided, and that is the lamp of experience. I know no way of judging the future but by the past.-- Patrick Henry.

Last edited by SailorMitch; 02-06-2008 at 12:08 AM.
Old 02-05-2008

Freesail99 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to Freesail99
Quote:
FYI -- I didn't go there at all last week, but will go tomorrow. I'll stay out of the office.)
It's going to rain tomorrow. I went to the boat today it was 66F.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 02-05-2008
Trim for Sail

uspirate has a spectacular aura about uspirate has a spectacular aura about uspirate has a spectacular aura about
you gotta learn the basics like:
turning back the engine hour gauge
using silver spray paint to paint the entire engine (hoses and all)
using wd-40 to quiet all the squeaks in the bulkheads
using armor all to make the faded parts look new
and tell people ie: (cap'n Ron style)
prospective buyer: it sure burns alot of oil.
broker: all diesels do that.
prospective buyer: why is that?
broker: well..., nobody knows.

then your on your way to being a broker

Sin City, Liquor all day, Poker all night...Channel Islands & Diego, So Cal
BJ & Nimfa
S/V Flocerfida

If You dont Stand Behind our troops...Feel Free To STAND IN FRONT OF THEM
Old 02-06-2008
Cruiser/Lats and Atts TV

Moonfish is on a distinguished road
Me and my ex were looking at boats one day with a broker. She mentioned how they all started to look the same after awhile (gasp!). The broker recommended taking pictures. She told him that I remembered every single boat we've ever been on, and can describe them accurately, even years later. Then, out of the blue, she said I should be a yacht broker. The guy's response was immediate and seemingly unrehearsed: "Sounds like you'd make a good one. Just be sure you have 12-18 months of money set aside to live on, because it'll take that long to make your first sale..."

"Always approach the dock at the speed you wish to hit it."
s/v VENUS
1978 North Sea 33 Pilothouse Cutter (Ta Chiao)

Old 02-06-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Glad to see USP is apply Las Vegas ethics to the situation.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 02-06-2008
Learning the HARD way...

eherlihy will become famous soon enough
Are you certifiable?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailorMitch View Post
Oh yeah, there is an association of yacht brokers that does certify people. Can't recall the exact title, but surely someone on here knows about it.
CPYB - Certified Professional Yacht Brokers... I have no idea what this entails.

USCG Licensed OUPV Captain, ASA 101/103/104/105 Certified Instructor - Also certified in Recreational Marine Electrical Systems
Old 02-06-2008
Sailing Junkie

ehmanta is on a distinguished road
Don't forget, brokers need to work weekends......

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.