Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-06-2008
Mostly Harmless

ReverendMike will become famous soon enough
Great vid BF! You both suck!
Congrats and condolences TB (think Marshall catboat!).

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"... the only matter of consequence before me is what I will do with my alloted time. I can remain on shore, paralyzed with fear, or I can raise my sails and dip and soar in the breeze." - Richard Bode, First you have to row a little boat (pg. 94)
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-06-2008
Señor Member

TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough TrueBlue is a jewel in the rough
Thanks Rev - sorry to high-jack this thread, but that IS a sweet daysailer, been admiring them for a while now.

With the low freeboard, it may be just the thing to calm down an anxious heel-shy first mate . . . perhaps enough to reconsider a larger S/V in the not-to-distant future.
Old 02-06-2008

billyruffn will become famous soon enough
Nice video!!
Old 02-06-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
BF-

Yes, you both suck, and you're flying the ensign in the wrong place. The Aussie flag is where the US courtesy flag should be... The Aussie flag should be on a stern flag staff.

BTW, if you ever get a real video camera, what you'll really want is either Final Cut Pro or Final Cut Express. Much better than Adobe Premiere, which has been discontinued on the Mac platform.

BTW, a movie that was made on an iMac, using iMovie and iDVD a few years ago won enough support at Sundance that it actually made it into theaters as a limited release. The guy's production budget was under $300 IIRC, since the iMac and the software were his boyfriend's.

FYI--

Quote:
Ensigns

Boats today fly the ensign from the stern, which provides the best visibility, but it can also be flown from the leech of the most aftersail. When flown from the stern, it should be on a staff (pole) that is sufficiently long and angled, and that is offset to one side (traditionally the starboard side), so the flag flies clear of engine exhaust and rigging
Quote:
Courtesy Flags

As a matter of courtesy, it is appropriate to fly the flag of a foreign nation on your boat when you enter and operate on its waters. There are only a limited number of positions from which flags may be displayed. Therefore, when a flag of another nation is flown, it usually must displace one of the flags displayed in home waters. However, it is hoisted only after the appropriate authorities have granted clearance. Until clearance is obtained, a boat must fly the yellow"Q" flag. All charter boats should carry the national flags of neighboring islands as well as the yellow flag, in case charterers want to visit those islands.

The courtesy flag is flown at the boat's starboard spreader, whether the ensign is at the stern staff, or flown from the leech. If there is more than one mast, the courtesy flag is flown from the starboard spreader of the forward mast.

As a side note, some authorities are not amused at all if you fly their courtesy flag using an old, raggy flag. Some will even fine you for disrespect! It happened to a friend of mine who was chartering in Turkey.

Lastly, it is also a common courtesy to fly the national flag(s) of your guest(s) on board, if they have a different nationality than the ensign is showing.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 02-06-2008
Thanks Courtney.

T34C has a spectacular aura about T34C has a spectacular aura about T34C has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonV View Post
ACDC, only one of the many great bands to come out of Australia.

I forgot to mention the other good thing of the day, Parked the boat perfectly at the end of the sail.
Who could forget the classics like, ABBA and Men at Work???
Old 02-06-2008
Thanks Courtney.

T34C has a spectacular aura about T34C has a spectacular aura about T34C has a spectacular aura about
When I look out my office window and see this:
[IMG]Photobucket[/IMG]

I have to confirm, you guys suck!
(nice boat Simon)
Old 02-06-2008
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough
You took great pics, etc. BF. Great pics!! And congrats Simon.

- CD

2004 Catalina 400, Sea Mist IV (our boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in S FL and Keys primarily)
1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:

Follow My Blog at:

Follow me on Facebook:

Old 02-06-2008

sailortjk1 has a spectacular aura about sailortjk1 has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by T34C View Post
When I look out my office window and see this:

Are you guys getting hammered today.
Just rain down here. We should get off east with this one.
I hear you guys can expect about a foot this afternoon.

If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most - E.B. White
Old 02-06-2008
Thanks Courtney.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailortjk1 View Post
Are you guys getting hammered today.
Just rain down here. We should get off east with this one.
I hear you guys can expect about a foot this afternoon.
Expecting 12-14 inches today with 20-30mph winds. Fun.
Old 02-06-2008
Mostly Harmless

ReverendMike will become famous soon enough
Dog
I don't think Simon had it wrong, it's still registered in the US. Just cuz the owners from elsewhere doesn't change what flies off the back ('till officially and legally imported to Oz).

Just my interpretation, feel free to beat me bloody!

"... the only matter of consequence before me is what I will do with my alloted time. I can remain on shore, paralyzed with fear, or I can raise my sails and dip and soar in the breeze." - Richard Bode, First you have to row a little boat (pg. 94)