Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-06-2008

sanjuanderer is on a distinguished road
When I saw the header to this thread, I thought someone had talked my ex wife into going sailing but no.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 02-06-2008

catamount is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingwelshman View Post
My dog, Jolson (a mostly border collie + everything else), weighs about 70 lbs.
With all due respect, 70 lbs. is NOT a large dog

We once had a 150 lb. Newfie/Golden mix. He was over 6 feet long and stood about 3 feet high.

He was not very agile -- climbing ladders was definitely out. In fact, I'm not sure he would have fit through the companionway anyways! He had to sleep out in the cockpit, which was not very fun for him or us. To get him from the launch onto the boat, we would first lift his front legs up to the deck, and then boost his hind end up.

Unfortunately, he died of a very aggressive cancer at a young age. We still miss him

Now we have a "small" ~60 lb. Flat-Coated Retriever Mix, who is much more agile and probably will be able to manage ladders, the companionway, etc... We'll find out this summer.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, a new voice for ocean conservation
Old 02-06-2008

chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough
How do you sail with a large dog?

You don't.

Leave the dog at home, with the lawn mower.
Old 02-06-2008
Owner, Green Bay Packers

sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice
Dogs: redux

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newport41 View Post
We have a dog life jacket for our collie cross. He can swim for hours without it, but the handle on the back makes getting him aboard easy. I can lie on deck and pull him up by the handle on the back of the life jacket. He's 74lbs, if that's too heavy for you than perhaps you can hoist him aboard with a halyard. I have to assume you have some methode for getting an unconscience adult back aboard, maybe you can apply that.

As for everyone who dreads reading a thread that's been done before, you sound like by grandmother the way you complain. If you've been through the subject before how about you just don't click on the thread in the first place. For all you know new information might come from new members
Newport,
The fascination of the topic has become similar to that of a car wreck; try not to look. The reason why I speculated on the welshman's having read the previous threads may be found below, a sailnet instant classic. After reading it, and if you still think I'm your grandmother, we can talk. Before reading, I'd advise removing all beverages from the area of your computer, people tend to knock things over when reading it or, worse, spew them out.
cruising with bull dogs
Old 02-06-2008
capt'n

sandsailor is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newport41 View Post
We have a dog life jacket for our collie cross. He can swim for hours without it, but the handle on the back makes getting him aboard easy. I can lie on deck and pull him up by the handle on the back of the life jacket. He's 74lbs, if that's too heavy for you than perhaps you can hoist him aboard with a halyard. I have to assume you have some methode for getting an unconscience adult back aboard, maybe you can apply that.

As for everyone who dreads reading a thread that's been done before, you sound like by grandmother the way you complain. If you've been through the subject before how about you just don't click on the thread in the first place. For all you know new information might come from new members
unconscience <-- this is funny
Old 02-06-2008
capt'n

this one grew up in the truck over the road with me

she's not fond of the boat but loves the water but wont stay home either. as long as she's with me she's happy. well usually
Attached Thumbnails
Sailing with a large dog?-84-060.jpg   Sailing with a large dog?-100_0871.jpg  

Last edited by sandsailor; 02-06-2008 at 11:19 PM.
Old 02-06-2008
capt'n

Angry how do you get the pics to show up

and not as links???
Old 02-06-2008

flyingwelshman will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by catamount View Post
With all due respect, 70 lbs. is NOT a large dog

We once had a 150 lb. Newfie/Golden mix. He was over 6 feet long and stood about 3 feet high.

He was not very agile -- climbing ladders was definitely out. In fact, I'm not sure he would have fit through the companionway anyways! He had to sleep out in the cockpit, which was not very fun for him or us. To get him from the launch onto the boat, we would first lift his front legs up to the deck, and then boost his hind end up.

Unfortunately, he died of a very aggressive cancer at a young age. We still miss him

Now we have a "small" ~60 lb. Flat-Coated Retriever Mix, who is much more agile and probably will be able to manage ladders, the companionway, etc... We'll find out this summer.
Man, I've never had so much respect due me!

I think Jolson is a 'big' dog. I think a 150 lb Newfie is a 'huge' dog.

I figured by the responses that there was some history to the topic. I assumed that it had been addressed frequently, but I haven't seen anything about it in the few months that I've been checking in here. I did follow the link that Sailaway21 posted. Now I understand the eye-rolling reactions.

It sounds as though short hops with a 'largish' dog are doable, but avoid the long cruises. That's kind of what I thought, I was just hoping to hear that somebody had found a way to deal with it.

Regarding hauling Jolson over the side - while physically possible: I don't think my gellcoat would fare very well. We do have a Life-Sling, but, as I said, I think the dog would freak if I tried that on him.

Anyhow, thanks to all for their responses.

The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever. - Jacques Yves Cousteau
Old 02-07-2008

Valiente has a spectacular aura about Valiente has a spectacular aura about
I have friends who sailed in Lake Ontario with a 13 year old Great Dane named "Wilma". But the boat was steel, and she looked half-dead already, the poor old dear. She needed assistance with the companionway, but mostly stayed curled up (ok, a big curl) in the center cockpit.

They took her out in pretty tame weather, but she went with them on longer cruises, too. Now they have little 20 lb. poodle crosses that are more suitable.

But that's Lake Ontario. I am pretty sure they wouldn't consider going offshore or even in situations where there were swells of any size, with their dogs.
Old 02-07-2008

Danny33 is on a distinguished road
hOW WOULD A jACK Russel Taste three weeks out in a dog stew ?

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.