Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-07-2008
1987 Pearson 27

Joel73 has a spectacular aura about Joel73 has a spectacular aura about Joel73 has a spectacular aura about
Recommended Width of Slip for 9'1" Beam???

We are having several pilings replaced on our 30yo pier. Currently the slip we keep the boat in is too small but we have been making it work. It is 14' wide and 31' long... meant for a different boat. Our 1987 Pearson 27 has the following specs: LOA 26.9, LWL 22.5 & Beam 9.1.

What would you recommend for the width? The length will stay at 31'.

Thanks!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-07-2008

blt2ski will become famous soon enough
I keep a 10.5' boat in a 13.5' slip, no issues! So how is your slip too small in the width dept? or is the boat next to you, too wide for its slip?

Marty
Old 02-08-2008

T37Chef will become famous soon enough
My $.02

In my expert opinion...more than 9.1 wide and/or not less than 9.1 wide

Personally, I prefer about 1' or less on each side of the boat, which allows for less slack in the lines. With excessive width, I think it puts unnecessary shock on cleats, dock hardware, lines, etc. due to the amount of slack needed in the lines. If the boat is able to move around a lot in the slip, is that a good thing? Lines will stretch much more than one may think, so even just a little slack is all thats needed IMO, considering I have only dealt with 1'-2' tidal differences (in most cases

If you were to tow a car with a rope, chain, nylon tow strap, etc. you wouldn't just take off, you go ahead slowly, otherwise...

My logic anyway

Last edited by T37Chef; 02-08-2008 at 12:36 PM.
Old 02-08-2008
1987 Pearson 27

Joel73 has a spectacular aura about Joel73 has a spectacular aura about Joel73 has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by blt2ski View Post
I keep a 10.5' boat in a 13.5' slip, no issues! So how is your slip too small in the width dept? or is the boat next to you, too wide for its slip?

Marty
I'm not sure that it is... just thought it might be better to have a wider slip. No boats next to us... we are on the outside of a 4 slip pier. We keep our 22 on the other side... and our 12 in the garage.

Old 02-08-2008
1987 Pearson 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by T37Chef View Post
In my expert opinion...more than 9.1 wide and/or not less than 9.1 wide

Personally, I prefer about 1' or less on each side of the boat, which allows for less slack in the lines. With excessive width, I think it puts unnecessary shock on cleats, dock hardware, lines, etc. due to the amount of slack needed in the lines. If the boat is able to move around a lot in the slip, is that a good thing? Lines will stretch much more than one may think, so even just a little slack is all thats needed IMO.

If you were to tow a car with a rope, chain, nylon tow strap, etc. you wouldn't just take off, you go ahead slowly, otherwise...

My logic anyway

Hmm... never thought of it that way.

I guess i just wanted more flexibility with tides and having a narrow width means tighter lines which also means less up and down possibility. Really, this is only a concern with NE winds and hurricanes though... and considering i'm about to install the mooring system (finally) this spring, maybe i should keep the slip tight.

Old 02-08-2008
Wandering Aimlessly

PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about
A lot depends on the future use of the slip. You can do it just to fit the boat you have, or for other boats as well.

Free, is the heart, that lives not, in fear.
Full, is the spirit, that thinks not, of falling.
True, is the soul, that hesitates not, to give.
Alive, is the one, that believes, in love.
JCP

- Website & Blog

Old 02-08-2008
'87 Pearson 27'

jackytdunaway is on a distinguished road
Are you in a tidal area with out a floating pier to tie to? That's what I seem to remember. Do you have a way for the lines to ride up and down the pylons? Is that why you might need the slack?
Old 02-08-2008

sailortjk1 has a spectacular aura about sailortjk1 has a spectacular aura about
No tides in my area, but we have a 15' slip with 12'6" beam.
I would think you should have plenty of room, I would leave it as is.

Quote:
maybe i should keep the slip tight.
I would not consider 2.5' on either side tight.
You are very fortunate to have that much room.
Most marinas try and pack 'em in as close as possible so that they can get more slips in.

Did you see the photo of Alex and his dock neighbor in the "Neighbor from Hell" thread? They can step from boat to boat.

If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most - E.B. White
Old 02-08-2008

xtatico1404 is on a distinguished road
14' wide slip with a 9.1' beam, I would call that plenty of space, not tight at all. IMHO, an absolute minimum of 1' to each side, preferrably between 1.5'-2'. I used to be on a really tight slip, with about 0.5' on each side, and we had to wrestle with the boat in order to put fenders on both sides, plus the fender on the side with the pilying kept slipping off. Now moved to one that is perfect with about 2' on each side.

Too big of a slip can also be problematic. You have to keep the lines tight, especially the spring lines, if there is wind or the boat will be constantly moving a lot.

Last edited by xtatico1404; 02-08-2008 at 09:51 AM.
Old 02-08-2008

xtatico1404 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailortjk1 View Post
Did you see the photo of Alex and his dock neighbor in the "Neighbor from Hell" thread? They can step from boat to boat.
sailortjk, Alex's slip is in Portugal (if I am not mistaken), so they have the typical European style slips...real tight, just like you said, you can step from one boat tot he next.