Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-10-2008

danielgoldberg is on a distinguished road
Good Sailing DVD

I'm sitting here in New York in February Jonesing for a sail, so I pop in Paul & Sheryl Shard's Transatlantic Crossing DVD. Not new of course, but it really is a very well done piece, as are all the Shards' work IMHO. Great sailing and underwater footage, the commentary is informative and entertaining. A perfect thing for a cold Sunday in February. I highly recommend it.

Now I'm going to get my boys settled, pawn them off on my wife, and head down to the boat to putter until my fingers are numb. (Maybe I'll bring another sailing flick with me and pop it into the DVD player while I conquer something absolutely critical that just can't wait. .)
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-10-2008

Freesail99 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to Freesail99
Speaking of fingers being numb, why is it always colder in the boat then outside ? We're getting wind gust of 40 mph here today, not the best of days to play with the tarps on the boat.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 02-10-2008

Yeah, we're getting those winds here too, but under the Fairclough cover it's bearable. Particularly after watching a sailing DVD.
Old 02-10-2008

Valiente has a spectacular aura about Valiente has a spectacular aura about
It's -13 C here, snowing and gusting 35 knots. The boat will have to wait, as the paint might be frozen!

Forecast:
..Gale warning in effect..
..Freezing spray warning in effect..
Gales west 45 knots diminishing to 35 early Monday morning. Flurries and snowsqualls developing early this afternoon. Freezing spray developing near noon. Waves near 3 metres building to 4 to 5 this evening then lowering to near 3 early Monday morning.
Outlook..Gale to storm force westerlies diminishing to moderate and then to light and variable.
Old 02-10-2008
Cruiser/Lats and Atts TV

Moonfish is on a distinguished road
Not only do they produce some of the best sailing video made, they are the nicest couple you'll ever meet, too. They are regular contributors to our show, and their stuff is the best we get.

Have you seen some of the other DVDs Paul and Sheryl made? The "Distant Shores" series is wonderfully produced. A little more on the travelouge side of things as they show things to see and do wherever they happen to be in the Med. It's a nice mix though, of great sailing video, the places they visit, and the people they meet. They are, IMHO, excellent story tellers above all else. They just use video to tell their stories...

And, I am completely jealous of them! They just took delivery this year of a brand new Southerly 40 or 42. They are going to bring her back to the Caribbean, and then cruise the eastern seaboard making more TV shows.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"Always approach the dock at the speed you wish to hit it."
s/v VENUS
1978 North Sea 33 Pilothouse Cutter (Ta Chiao)

Old 02-10-2008

I couldn't agree more. I do have their Distant Shores DVD series. I'm waiting for them to come out with something new. Your Latts & Atts TV ain't too shabby either. We don't get it here in NY, but I've seen the DVD's.

Old 02-11-2008
Cruiser/Lats and Atts TV

Moonfish is on a distinguished road
Thank you, Daniel. If you didn't already know, the Shards are now shooting in Hi-Def, so their new stuff will probably be even better! I'm definitely looking forward to seeing their shows and videos in HD...

"Always approach the dock at the speed you wish to hit it."
s/v VENUS
1978 North Sea 33 Pilothouse Cutter (Ta Chiao)

Old 02-11-2008
Broad Reachin'

kwaltersmi is on a distinguished road
So where can we get a copy of the DVD you mentioned? Is available for download anywhere? Thanks!

Old 02-11-2008

Brezzin is on a distinguished road
http://www.searoom.com/shard/
2007 Hunter 49
Old 02-11-2008
On the hard

CharlieCobra has a spectacular aura about CharlieCobra has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freesail99 View Post
Speaking of fingers being numb, why is it always colder in the boat then outside ? We're getting wind gust of 40 mph here today, not the best of days to play with the tarps on the boat.
Ya must have a fiberglass boat. Mine's just the opposite, always warmer inside then out.