Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-13-2008

marinesniper is on a distinguished road
yanmar audible alarm sounded

I have a 15hp yanmar on my 30ft lippincott and had a problem this weekend. I was motoring out of the dock are and the engine or audible alarm sounded, this is the same one that sounds when the key is in the ignition in the on state but the engine is off...the alarm would not stop.

I checked my temperature and it was fine, I checked that water was being pumped through the enginer and out the back and that was fine also.

Could it be the oil that triggers this alarm, if it is old or bad...?

Or just a malfunctioning cable...?

the boat is an 1981, 20ft Lippincott...

thanks...
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-13-2008
Not So Senior Member

Sapperwhite has a spectacular aura about Sapperwhite has a spectacular aura about Sapperwhite has a spectacular aura about
Did any panel lights come on with the alarm? That would indicate what caused it. And yes, there are oil alarms.
Old 02-13-2008

frankdrebin is on a distinguished road
Oil Pressure? There would be no oil pressure when starting. Was this at low idle? Diesels NEED oil pressure, more so than gas engines, with their higher compression.
Old 02-13-2008

This was after on the motor for 30 min, at 3/4 rpm max. And yes all the lights came on also. I have problems with the alarm in the past where sometimes before I start the engine it comes on like normal and most of the time it does not...

Maybe I should try and change the oil...
Old 02-13-2008
Not So Senior Member

Sapperwhite has a spectacular aura about Sapperwhite has a spectacular aura about Sapperwhite has a spectacular aura about
If the alarm problem is intermittent and you do normal maintenance, it may just be some bad wiring or loose wiring in the cable harness.
Old 02-13-2008

damn it, well I will only run the motor in and out of the dock and kill it when I can open up my main or jib (LIKE I SHOULD ALWAYS BE DOING)...sometime there is no wind but I want to go out anyway, this is when I motor around for fun...!

THANKS...
Old 02-13-2008
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
There are 3 things that might set off your alarm: Low oil pressure as mentioned, low charging (alternator output) or high cooling water temperature.
The oil pressure light and low voltage light should be on (and the buzzer buzzing) when the key is on but the engine is not yet running. Under normal circumstances the high temp light would not be on at this time.

If all three indicator lights do come on at once, it's likely a circuit/wiring fault. But you want to make sure that your cooling flow is normal, and your coolant level is normal (if FWC).

As you know, you can't count on always being able to sail to where you need to be.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 02-13-2008

tonic is on a distinguished road
I would highly recommend haveing a qualified tech look at it. You should be changing you oil every year at the least. Babying a diesel is the worst thing you could possibly do to it.
Which alarm actually went off? If it's going off constantly it may be the harness connection or not. If you have a problem somewhere else and asume it electrical your could be in for a rude awakening.
Do yourself a favor ticker around if your handy, if not have somebody reputatable look at it and get a good Diesel book. Peace of mind. Run that engine hard for an hour a month at the least if you don't use it much under load. Once the problem is found. Good Luck PEACE
Old 02-14-2008

thanks guys for all the information, I ran it tonight at 3/4 throttle for 45 min and the problem did not occur again...hmmm, well I will tinker around with it and be cautious...
Old 02-14-2008

bhcva is on a distinguished road
Check the wiring harness

I had an intermittent alarm going down the ICW....drove me crazy...not all lights came on...if I remember right it was like an 'unused' light came on...no information at all. Turned out to be an unused connector in the wiring harness making contact with the engine.