Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-13-2008

marinesniper is on a distinguished road
question/complaining regarding replacing boat...

I purchased this boat over a year ago and have fallen in love with sailing, it was an 1981 Lippincott. So far I have replaced all running rigging, new roller furling, rebuilt the yanmar engine and now in the process of re-doing the deck-paint and inside carpeting.

I am getting frustrated that evertime I finish repaining something, I need to move onto the next this to repair...

Hypothetical question, if I bought a new boat would I also be workin on it as well...? Or are they like new cars where you can just enjoy them for some period of time without having to repair, replace and fix things...?

On the upside, I know my current boat inside and out now...even been up to the top of the mast a couple time...arghhh

thanks...
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-13-2008
Wandering Aimlessly

PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about PBzeer has a spectacular aura about
Boats have issues, new or used. Perhaps not as many when new, but still some. There's much to be said for knowing your boat inside out, not just for your current boat, but any one you might have in the future. As a boss once said to me, when they informed us we wouldn't be getting a raise .... think of the personal satisfaction you get.

Free, is the heart, that lives not, in fear.
Full, is the spirit, that thinks not, of falling.
True, is the soul, that hesitates not, to give.
Alive, is the one, that believes, in love.
JCP

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Website & Blog

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 02-13-2008
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
Good for you for doing all that work; having that familiarity will pay off big time one day (if not for you for someone else).

Had you bought a new boat you might have a bit of a chore holiday, but think of the extra money you'd have had to lay out. You may end up working so much to pay for it you won't have time to enjoy it anyway!

And even new boats rarely come with everything you are likely to want/need, so unless you were about to pay someone else to do all those things (unlikely giving your current practice..) you'd still be doing this or that.

IMO working on, maintaining and upgrading the old girl is part of the enjoyment (as long as it doesn't take over)

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 02-13-2008
ASA and PSIA Instructor

sailingfool will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by marinesniper View Post
I purchased this boat over a year ago and have fallen in love with sailing, it was an 1981 Lippincott. So far I have replaced all running rigging, new roller furling, rebuilt the yanmar engine and now in the process of re-doing the deck-paint and inside carpeting.

I am getting frustrated that evertime I finish repaining something, I need to move onto the next this to repair...

Hypothetical question, if I bought a new boat would I also be workin on it as well...? Or are they like new cars where you can just enjoy them for some period of time without having to repair, replace and fix things...?

On the upside, I know my current boat inside and out now...even been up to the top of the mast a couple time...arghhh

thanks...
Although I've never owned a new boat, I do believe that you would find little upgrade/repair work on a new boat, of the type you found on one almost thirty hears old. Any and all boats need maintenance work, that's pretty constant...its the repairs and upgrades that add to the cost of an older boat...but are bundled into the premium price of the new boat.

Enjoy you older boat experience, but understand and anticipate, when you go to sell her you won't likely get back half the cost of your upgrades/repairs, even after ignoring the value of your time and labor...its just the way it works.
Old 02-13-2008

tonic is on a distinguished road
Save you money. You get more satisfaction bringing something back than just maintaining something new. There's always maintanance. Recycle, unless of course your planning on getting a Custom Built DC100 RC.
Either way you got a sailboat that's all that matters or maybe a Yacht a very nice yacht. PEACE
Old 02-13-2008
Handsome devil

Stillraining is a jewel in the rough Stillraining is a jewel in the rough Stillraining is a jewel in the rough
Remindes me of a story

We were just returning from 10 glorious days in the Gulf Islands and at the pump out dock at my marina...there was this lady crying as she was pacing up and down the dock...I couldn't stand it any more so i went to ask if there was anything I could do to help her...I learned her and her husband had purchased a brand new boat ( forget now ) and were having nothing but problems with it to the point that they were fighting with the dealer to take it back...They had yet to have a good time on there new boat...

This extreme is rare I'm sure but most new boats have bugs to work out...some more serious then others...

You will eventually run out of things to rebuild and virtually have a new boat so hang in there...Its only money anyway...just change your attitude and learn to enjoy the projects...keep telling yourself your having fun and pretty soon it will be...

Now excuse me I have to go pull my @#%&# transmission...
Old 02-13-2008
Owner, Green Bay Packers

sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice
Nah, a new boat would be much better. Instead of having the time to type on sailnet, you'd spend your nights worried sick about who is marring your brand new boat up while you're not there. You'd be perpetually p.o.'d about the seagulls crappin' on your deck, instead of shrugging and noticing how, with faded gel-coat, you hardly notice. Eventually you'd notice how many things you can't get at on your boat because they've molded a liner over them and you'd worry about that too. You've probably gotten all those things out in the open now and fixed them better than new. With a new boat you'd be reduced to asking guys on sailnet what to do about kids wetting the bunks; with your boat it's just an additional pattern on that '81 disco-den fabric your cushions are covered with.

In five years, a new boat is going to be an old boat. Not a real old boat, but not new. "Gee, I thought that would have lasted longer" might become the only sea shanty you know.

Besides, wasn't your last boat an LST? Whatta ya', gettin' picky now? Never met a jarhead who wasn't just glad the boat was floatin', he had someplace flat to lie down, and what he had to eat looked eatable at one point in time! (a vbg!)
Old 02-13-2008

teshannon has a spectacular aura about teshannon has a spectacular aura about teshannon has a spectacular aura about
Smile

I've gotten to the point where I actually enjoy repairing things on the boat. I sometimes wonder if I'm breaking things intentionaly just so I can fix them.
Old 02-13-2008

xtatico1404 is on a distinguished road
I put this on a similar thread about 1-2 days back, it also applies to this one, only that if you buy a new boat, you will spend a lot more money and only delay for several years the inevitable work:

"a friend of mine once said...."there are two truly happy days on the life a boat owner, the day that he buys it, and the day that he sells it. The rest of the time is spent working on the boat, and taking it out every now and then."

As everyone has said here, it is a never ending job, for life. BUT OH SO SWEET "

Old 02-14-2008

marinesniper is on a distinguished road
hah Sailaway21, you are right all I need is something that floats some dry MRE meals and a canteen full of water...well that was 10 years ago, now I am an engineer sitting in a cubicle most days...

But I tell you one thing I learned from the core that can help me with all my maintanance problems is MOTRIN ... 800MG Motrin...!