SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (sailing related) (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/)
-   -   Women's opinion on Boat design (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/40580-womens-opinion-boat-design.html)

artbyjody 02-14-2008 06:57 AM

Women's opinion on Boat design

Last year It was me and 6 of my female friends.... for them it was the first time sailing and I was barraged with the the typical comments women make of a place.

The head was too small...
No common place to change without the boards in place...
How do you flush...
No sink in the bathroom?
I resent it being called a head...(I don't go there on the first cruise, much less like the word being used)

etc...

I'd like to dedicate this thread to those whom are the better half - to subject their honest views of sailing and accommodations in general...

Robby Barlow 02-14-2008 07:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by artbyjody (Post 265202)
I'd like to dedicate this thread to those whom are the better half - to subject their honest views of sailing and accommodations in general...

:confused: :confused: :confused: I'm lost, dazed, confused..., please explain.

Valiente 02-14-2008 02:07 PM

Unless the woman is a naval architect or has paid for the boat, I give no more attention to her opinions than I would a man in the same position.

A woman who wants the boat to be designed around the head is unclear about the purpose of a boat, or is the proud owner of a Hunter.

theartfuldodger 02-14-2008 02:31 PM

I think a woman's opinion is more important to the type of boat she is speaking of and its purpose. A happy first mate, or Captain as she is this year on my boat has a lot to do with enjoyable sailing.

Driver 02-14-2008 02:35 PM

I'll take the boat anyday

We own a late model "Benehuntalina" - poo pooed by many....but I'd rather be aboard than in my house just about any time!

....and that's even when the refrigerator isn't working, the holding tank's full and we have no TV on board...

Melrna 02-14-2008 06:01 PM

I think sailing, as far as accommodations are concerns, are in the same category as most outdoor recreational activities; Camping, Hiking, RV, Sailboat, Powerboats, etc. When compared to normal household living, most people view it as a drastic step down ( we sailors view it as a step up). As with anything, there are compromises and sacrifices in all outdoor living. Some are small, while others are significant. Of course this is all in the eye of the beholder.
When we introduce this wonderful activity/lifestyle to outsiders for the first time, it behoves us all to see it through the eyes of our guest. I try to anticipate those concerns they might have up front. While doing it, I try to inject a little humor into it, eg, " A prison cell has more space than this!"
Like first impressions, a great boating experience the first time out will ensure the guest will return. Of course this is especially important if that guest happens to be a woman and the lonely sailor would like to share future sunsets!
With all that said, I have a mini checklist that I go through with each new guest before we set sail. It is both a safety list, as well as how thing work down below. As far as a dressing area, I too like a little privacy, so I always have an area in the boat where that can happen. Most of the time it is in one of the cabins. If it means hanging a small curtain somewhere, so be it. If I am happy, everyone is happy. If my guest are happy, I am really happy. It is those small attention to details that will make everyone glad to have the opportunity to sail. It is a cheap price to pay for sharing sunrises and sunsets. Capt Blye boat's, like I assume on Valiente's boat, will generally be a lonely boat, unless he finds Admiral Ms Blye.
Melissa Renee

rennisaint 02-14-2008 09:12 PM

Quote:

Capt Blye boat's, like I assume on Valiente's boat, will generally be a lonely boat, unless he finds Admiral Ms Blye.
Val...I think you just got burned, like hard core.

But seriously, yes, there are certain women you would have to be brain dead to attempt to bring on a boat. These are commonly referred to as high maintenance. Lots of women think of this as an insult. It's not, Saying a women is high maintenance is like saying she's a Ferrari, she's go the looks, but dammit, somebody let an italian pretend to be an engineer, and while that means everything about her is beautiful, you will pay out the @ss for it. On the other hand, I prefer a practically luxurious woman, like a BMW, give her what she needs and she will purr like a kitten. Sailing is the same, women want some modicum of privacy, even a v-berth with a curtain is ok, as long as they can be discrete (the beemer never wants a fuss). Women do not want a bucket! They do not want to put in the hatch boards, then throw their business (and bucket) overboard while everyone watches. So I agree in part with both sides of this debate. Women want, expect, and deserve, privacy, and discrete privacy at that. The finicky loud ones....leave at the dock.

Valiente 02-14-2008 09:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rennisaint (Post 265660)
Val...I think you just got burned, like hard core.

Hardly. My wife is co-captain, and we went together over every system in our new-to-us cruiser before we mortgaged a paid-for house (jointly owned) in order to buy it.

Her only comment regarding the head was "nobody needs two heads on a three-person boat, and thank God this one has a Lavac". As it so happens, while the boat looks quite nice, it works nicer as a boat than as a display case for Better Yachts and Gardens.

Point of fact, I do most of the "nautical decoration" aboard, because she doesn't care much for that stuff. Today she was out buying two-part Endura to touch up rusty spots on the topsides.

So I say again: I don't care what your gonads are. If you are more concerned with decor than function on a sailing boat, I'll see you on the dock, because I sure as hell aren't likely to see you on the ocean...that's where the vases get thrown around.

wind_magic 02-15-2008 01:21 AM

Having women aboard is bad luck. :D

Melrna 02-15-2008 03:19 AM

So does this mean you are gay sailor wind magic!