Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-14-2008

blueranger is on a distinguished road
Can't hurt...cry for help on my quest

Hi,

It seems like such a simple quest. I need to find a trailer for my 22' sailboat. It's a 22' Jensen Ranger with a 4' fixed fin keel. If I had unlimited funds, this wouldn't be a problem. However, I need to do this on the cheap.

I talked to transport companies but the boat is in the water right now. I need to drop the mast and all the rigging, stow everything that doesn't get unloaded, haul the boat onto the trailer and up the ramp and then haul it across country. The cost for dropping the mast and rigging alone has me rethinking my career choice.

I've called every marina in Minnesota to no avail. People will happily fabricate a trailer for me for around 5 grand, plus the cost of gas of having it delivered or me driving my truck down and back to get it. If I knew how to weld it would be a different story, but for now, I don't. I've been looking at one of those harbor freight deals but I'm thinking suicide on the highway not to mention innocent bystanders.

The boat is basically worthless in terms of money due to it's condition, but it's all I'm going to have for a while and it's the one I get to break and learn how to fix everything on. This is an emotional, not fiscally responsible quest.

So, having endured my sob story, if anyone out there knows of a cheap (under a grand) roadworthy trailer that can safely handle 2000 pounds and has bunks or pads that will adjust for a 4 foot keel, please PM me or email me at bsr101 at yahoo dot com. I live in Minnesota and will drive as far East as Ohio, South as Indiana, pretty much anywhere in the midwest or west. Florida and the east coast are out. Gas prices have made that as expensive as just having it shipped. Or if anyone knows of any bolt together kits or plans out there that would be welcome.

Thank you from the poor and the proud.

Mike
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-14-2008
Handsome devil

Stillraining is a jewel in the rough Stillraining is a jewel in the rough Stillraining is a jewel in the rough
And why

are you so attached to this worthless boat?

Sell it and pick one up where your moving to...worthless boats are easy to find and a lot of times free and with a trailer ta boot...
Old 02-14-2008

chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough
Save the money on de-rigging and dropping the mast by getting a six pack or two and some friends - and apply it to a road worthy trailer. You won't find one for 1 grand. Certainly not one you can load the boat at a boat ramp at.

Sorry, sell the boat, buy another when financially stable.
Old 02-14-2008

rennisaint is on a distinguished road
How big of a mast do you have? On a 22' you should be able to handle the mast with a friend or two. You really shouldn't have to pay someone to do it, just take lots of pictures, mark everything very carefully, and think things through carefully before you start. Remember to use physics to your advantage, attach a halyard to the end of your boom, then two more lines from the boom end that are long enough to reach the ground if the boom were sticking straight in the air. Then, loosen the standing rigging, release the backstay, and any intermediate shrouds that run to points aft of the mast. Then, you and a friend each take a line and stand aft and to port and starboard of the boat and slowly let out line allowing the mast to lower forward. The upper shrouds should keep the mast from swinging to the sides and if you make sure the base of the mast is secured so it can only rotate and not move about you should be just fine. As far as the trailer goes though.... That's tough, but not impossible, try posting to craigslist in minneapolis, chicago, duluth, green bay, etc. You're bound to find something! Good luck!
Old 02-14-2008
purveyor of mischief

sanctuarysam will become famous soon enough
sorry chuckles, i respectfully disagree

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucklesR View Post
Save the money on de-rigging and dropping the mast by getting a six pack or two and some friends - and apply it to a road worthy trailer. You won't find one for 1 grand. Certainly not one you can load the boat at a boat ramp at.

Sorry, sell the boat, buy another when financially stable.

throwing away your boat until "financially stable" isn't the best advice..
look around the J/22 or J/24 owners sites and see if anyone is selling a trailer..they will accommodate your boat, and you should be able to get one close to 1000-1200..if someone doesn't still have his/her boat..the trailer is just a reminder of what they are missing (as should ALL of us be w/o our boats).
John Hiatt sang a song called perfectly good guitar..i think it applies to boats and strays too..

Sam
Sanctuary, Sabre 30 mkIII
Old 02-14-2008
Owner, Green Bay Packers

sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice
There might be as many good trailers with worthless boats on them out there as the converse. It'll take some leg work, but you'll find one. Call up some of the bigger marinas in your area. Were it me, I'd probably give a call over to Wolf's Marine, in Benton Harbor, MI as the guy's there seem to have their ears to the ground. That's a bit out of your way, but you get the idea.

Now there are a bunch of trailers out there that you could modify to fit your boat. All those 1962 StarCraft aluminum fishing boats are resting on something! If you don't have someone who's a competent welder available, you can take the course at the local community college. but you are going to want to have the advise of someone used to fabricating these things who'll tell you what you need to weld here and there in terms of design.

This is not as big of a project as it might seem, although you'll need a arc welder. And your "worthless" boat is worth quite a bit more if it's on a trailer, for which reason I guess you know. (g)

Dropping the mast, as mentioned above, should be fairly easy with a bit of practise. Two or three times and you'll wonder what the big deal was about.
Old 02-14-2008

Danny33 is on a distinguished road
Blue R ....

Sail away is on it . thats a better bet , find your running gear and fit it to your boat.
If the shops are telling you 5 grand for a custom , its useally Half for materials . so you can work from there .

Another thought ...if you can locate some sort of cradle for your boat and then have some one move that or a two axel flat trailer to pull it on...

Good luck ! moving the hard stuff.