Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By snider

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-14-2008

snider is on a distinguished road
Starwind 19. Lead shot in bilge?

I just got a great deal on a Starwind 19. Havn't had much time to do any research. The boat just fell into my lap. Any experience or info would be appreciated. I'm taking it to the keys next month and thinking of hopping over to the Bahamas weather depending. I found something strange though. While I was looking over the boat there was about an inch of loose lead shot poured into the bilge? Surely this isn't factory is it? I'm going to scoop it out first thing. If someone did this, what a bad idea. Leaves the bilge damp and wet due to the fact that you can't get the water out completely, not to mention if you get knocked down. Has anyone ever seen this? Other than that the boat seems to be in good shape. Brandon
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-14-2008

sailboy21 is on a distinguished road
Lead shot is common on small boats with encapsulated keels.. saves a lot on making castings. Not good to actually see it however!
Old 02-15-2008

Sailormon6 will become famous soon enough
We can only speculate why it's in there, but my first guess would be that the previous owner wanted to add ballast to give him a little advantage in club racing. I agree with you that you should take it out. It's not race legal, it can cause problems, and it's a hazard, especially if any children are on board.
Old 02-17-2009

ShortStory is on a distinguished road
Did you learn anything?

Hi there!

I've committed to buying a 1986 Starwind 19 and came across your posting. Did you ever figure out what was up with the lead shot in the bilge? It looks like a great boat but I want to know if there are any skeletons in the closet (or bilge) that I should know about.

Thank you!!!!

Melanie
Old 03-12-2009

snider is on a distinguished road
Great Boat!!

I just sold the 19 and bought a Starwind 223. The 19 is a great boat!! I sailed her engineless for almost a year in Charleston harbor and offshore outside the jetties. The boat will sail in almost anything with just working sails, get a nylon sail and if its blowing you're sailing. Did a lot of overnight trips, perfect for that. Not to bad to step the mast and load from a landing either. Very happpy with that boat and would recommend one in a heartbeat. I sailed it out of Shalot inlet in NC once, conditions were a lot rougher than I thought, the boat handled it a lot better than me. Send me a message if you have any questions. Brandon
dave shivers likes this.
Old 04-15-2009

Hi there!

Thanks for the info a few weeks back. We have since bought the boat, launched her once, discovered some leaks where the caulking was coming off around the cockpit drains, and are now repainting her and working on projects.

This may be a stupid question, but I have been trying to figure out where the centerboard pin is...I can't seem to locate it, and I want to be able to check it out and at least make sure it's in one piece.

Any tips are appreciated! I am new to trailer-sailing, so have a lot to learn!

Cheers,
Melanie
Old 04-16-2009

jkimberly is on a distinguished road
I had a Starwind 19 for 5 years, sailing it in all kinds of weather on Long Island sound. Great boat, always took more than I was able to!

There are molded lead blocks positioned around the top of the keel visable through the access port in the sole. This access port is a round 6" port located in the area under the V-berth drop in and allows you to visually check the bilge. The PO most likely decided to 'up' the amount of balast and used lead shot, simply pouring it into this area - bad! It'll shift and stays wet.

The keel pin is located directly under the access port - look for two (one on either side of the keel) puttied over holes. On mine someone had backfilled the bolt holes with something (5200?) which made removal a LARGE task. As I had minimal play in the swing keel, I wisely(?) decided to leave well enough alone! Trying to get the pin out through the 6" round hole is a task I would not want to try anywhere near sailing season as it could take quite a lot of beer to see it through

Enjoy the Starwind, I always did. Easy to trailer and a cinch to setup the mast singlehanded. Pointed well and always took more sea than I was comfortable with. Could be a little 'tippy' though (or maybe it was me?).

Fairwinds!

john
Old 04-16-2009

Thank you!

Thank you, John!

I was hoping and praying that those two bolts didn't have anything to do with it (nothing like a little denial!), because mine look like they will be a bear to get out. It's inevitable that it's going to have to be done at some point, as this is a 1986 boat and I'm sure the pin has never been replaced. But for now it seems to be fine--I'll leave well enough alone as long as I can!

Thanks for the help!

Melanie
Attached Thumbnails
Starwind 19. Lead shot in bilge?-annabel-lee-trailer.jpg  
Old 10-15-2009

tbatema is on a distinguished road
Ok long time no posting.
this tread is somewhat old but here goes. I have the '83 model made by Wellcraft. you need to look under the Mast step and look for deck delamination around the step and watch for Rot as they used plywood as stiffining material. I pulled all that out and replaced with Fiberclass Boards.
Old 08-22-2011

dave shivers is on a distinguished road
starwind 19

HEllo, I just got a 19...... Was wondering how hard it is to capsize.
Thanks,
Dave