No cameras, no websites, no sponsors, no media, no net, no fuss...the real deal!! - Page 3 - SailNet Community

Search Sailnet:

forums  store  

Quick Menu
Forums           
Articles          
Galleries        
Boat Reviews  
Classifieds     
Search SailNet 
Boat Search (new)

Shop the
SailNet Store
Anchor Locker
Boatbuilding & Repair
Charts
Clothing
Electrical
Electronics
Engine
Hatches and Portlights
Interior And Galley
Maintenance
Marine Electronics
Navigation
Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-20-2008

starboardyacht is on a distinguished road
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by camaraderie View Post
Rainin'...tell me about it. We're in control...we're faster so we can avoid whether and reduce the chances of bad weather...were more stable...we're more comfortable...we're more like home...we ain't like camping...and we can go futher on fuel and water and provisions.
If $$ ain't a problem....bigger is better!!

aaaaaah, what about the Titanic? ..... can ya get a baby grand in a 60 footer??
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-20-2008
Owner, Green Bay Packers

sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice sailaway21 is just really nice
Uh ?,
I'd say that the relevant difference is not found in the size of his boat but in the fact that he is in Portugal and we are not. He'll be in Bremerhaven and we will not. We will have the quarter of our boat beautifully, and expensively, painted with our boat's name. He used mailbox lettering from the hardware store, much to the consternation of the frigate birds. If I ever cross the Atlantic again, it'll likely be in a much smaller boat than "recommended". I'll be comforted somewhat by the knowledge that most of the "recommended" sized boats will probably never cross the Atlantic, or any other ocean, and that they and their owners will never find a compelling reason to do so. Ironic how the size of the boat increases in direct proportion to the age of the owner, while the likelihood of an ocean crossing seems to decrease in inverse proportion. Just some observations from a de-clutched mind.
Old 02-20-2008

xort has a spectacular aura about xort has a spectacular aura about xort has a spectacular aura about
The most telling thing about your post Alex is that the first picture you posted is of the wine, not the boat!!! I thought that boats were your number one priority but I've been enlightened.
Now, when you say you're heading back to port, we'll know what you really mean.
Cheers!
Old 02-20-2008

Looking is on a distinguished road
Another quiet singlehander

In September of '07, in Snug Cove, Bowen Island, I came across the most beautiful Tayana 52 I have ever, or will likely ever see. Black hull, self steering gear, teak decks... If I were staring at a woman, her husband would have taken great offense and beat me senseless.

The owner came out, and through broken English, I learned he was from Japan, had just completed a 50 day crossing from Tokyo, (becalmed for 25 days) and was on a leisurely 10 year trip to 'sail the world'. His next stop was San Fransisco.

I wish I could tell you the name of the vessel, but it was written in Kangi. Each idiom was made from white line, shaped and hardened with something (epoxy) and fixed to the transom. I didn't have my camera with me and have regretted it ever since.

He was a very nice, unassuming gentleman, and I often wonder where he is. I'm sure he very content.
Old 02-20-2008

Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice Giulietta is just really nice
More from my new friend Alois...

Soon I will have many many posts with his adventures...small things he said...like losing his head stay 1000 miles off the coast of the US and staying adrift 10 days after his engine died (no storm, he was lucky, BUT ABOVE ALL THANK BENETEAU FOR A KEEL STEPPED MAST!!!!!!!!!!!!!)....

2 USCG rescues ( he has a big thank you for the USCG), after a Chinese tanker refused to come in his rescue to assist, the USCG flew a heli and stayed with him, with a heli, later a plane and the heli again, untill an Italian tanker (the nice ones), came to his rescue and gave him diesel, unfortunately 1 hour after heading back to the US, the engine quit again, because the diesel the Italian tanker's Filipino crew gave him was contamintaed and clogged all the filters forcing him back to the US.

a six day storm .....twice....doing 10 knots boat speed with only a few turns of his furler genoa (yes furler genoa, no storm sail for this guy)...

There are many stories...like on the 2 six day strom he was exhausted and just cocooned the boat, went inside and lay on the floor with dramamine, as he got seriously sick for the first time in his life....

He will tell me all those by email he will send to me to post...

In the mean time...here he is..my friend Alois

By the way..behind him...my ex neighbour that today was shredding his main sail to do a cover for his already shredded dodger!!!!

Old 02-20-2008
1997 Dehler 33

max-on will become famous soon enough
Giu, tell your new friend Alois "Hello" from us here in America; from your review thus far he is a very skilled seaman, and congratulations to him on his voyages.

Old 02-20-2008

Valiente has a spectacular aura about Valiente has a spectacular aura about
Congratulations, Alex. If you can understand a Czech who moved to Australia (I can't even imagine what that must sound like, but it isn't pretty), you can understand anybody speaking English.

I've noticed that the people who quietly go around the world tend to dress completely for comfort and durability, and therefore look like gardeners or librarians.

These pictures remind me of a couple we had aboard last summer for a glass of wine or three. When they had finished cruising the Great Lakes, they simply trucked their boat to the West Coast!

http://www.yachtsentinel.co.uk/
Old 02-20-2008
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
Alex...you may find this interesting. What is his story on this?
http://coastguardnews.com/hampton-ro...ty/2007/07/12/
It sounds like he was ill prepared and wasn't watching the fuel or the weather?
Old 02-20-2008

teshannon has a spectacular aura about teshannon has a spectacular aura about teshannon has a spectacular aura about
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by camaraderie View Post
Alex...you may find this interesting. What is his story on this?
http://coastguardnews.com/hampton-ro...ty/2007/07/12/
It sounds like he was ill prepared and wasn't watching the fuel or the weather?
Cam,
How the hell did you ever find that! You definitely have too much time on your hands. Good work.
Old 02-20-2008
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
Hercule Poirot at your service M. Shannon! ....actually I just googled the name of the boat when Giu said there was a Coast Guard Rescue. I remembered he story cause it was fairly local to me and I had some thoughts about it at the time...so I knew it had to be out there. It will be interesting to hear the story from him.