Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-20-2008
17' siren sailor

Wkboarder222 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to Wkboarder222
sailboat paint question

I have a Siren 17, and the pervious owner painted her hull a light blue bottom paint. He thought it would hold up to the elements better. I know it was a bad idea to paint the whole hull in bottom paint, thank god not the deck. It is now fading away with blotchy blues, and looks weird when half is wet and half is dry. its chulky, you get paint on you if you rub on it. What would be a good recomend paint to paint over this?? Im on a time frame now, so it cant really be done right. I just want it to look good for a spring break trip.

-corey

Last edited by Wkboarder222; 02-20-2008 at 05:56 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 02-20-2008

artbyjody is just really nice artbyjody is just really nice artbyjody is just really nice artbyjody is just really nice
Above the waterline you'll need to sand - coat with primer - and then paint ....the reason it is coming off in blotches is that ablative paint (your bottom paint) - doesn't do well unless in water so I have been told by the yard...at any rate yep - you'll have some work in front of you unfortunately...

S/V "
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
" -
1983, Barberis Show 38! or
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 02-20-2008

chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough
wkboarder,
I spoke to this in the 'chalky boot stripe thread' but didn't realize you had bottom paint on your topsides.
Don't sand - chemically strip it using paint remover, then sand.

I do not recommend a dark color on a home project boat. Dark paint shows every single imperfection - stay light in color, white is better. Dark will also make you boat look smaller, and heat up the insides (a problem already in florida).
Use a good grade marine paint - but if your boat is trailered and not in the water all the time you should feel free to use any paint that gives you the results you want and will adhere to fiberglass and work with the primer you use.
Speaking of primer, yours is not a young boat - don't pinch pennies on getting a good primer, and go for a high build primer - 2 part is best. The time you spend on preparation and priming should be about three times the time you spend on sailing per year seriously - figure on many weekends not a day or so.
Seriously, take off all the hardware, polish it, or replace it while you are at the project - a self tailing winch on a small boat like a siren is worth it's weight in gold and can be gotten second hand, cleaned up and installed. It will be worth it.
Old 02-20-2008
1997 Dehler 33

max-on will become famous soon enough
I agree with Chuck, do it right and be done with it, then go sailing.
Old 02-20-2008
I don't discuss my member

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay
Fstbttms will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wkboarder222 View Post
the pervious owner painted her hull a light blue bottom paint. He thought it would hold up to the elements better
Bwahahahahahaha! Is there no end to the stupidity to which boat owners will stoop?
Old 02-20-2008
Midwest Puddle Pirate

US27inKS has a spectacular aura about US27inKS has a spectacular aura about
I agree with Chuck on most of it. Chemically strip, then sand. Spend a HUGE amount of time making sure the prep work is PERFECT. Even after you think it's perfect, go over it at least twice more. Use epoxy based fillers to take care of the dock rash, with a long board to make it smooth. If you need instruction on how to make a good long board, let me know.

If you plan on keeping the boat, use a 2 part paint system such as Interlux Perfection. Decide now what paint you're going to use, and stick with the recommended products for that paint from the same manufacturer. There may be other products that work well with whatever paint you choose, but I'm not a chemist so I do what the paint co says.

Choose whatever color makes you happy. I have a dark blue boat, and it gets hotter in Kansas than it does in Florida. It's hot in my boat but no hotter than everyone elses. Your deck color will have more to do with the heat inside than the topsides. If you paint a dark color, you will have to make sure that any filler work is PERFECT. If you get the dock rash to the point that you can't find it anymore, even though you know where it is, then find someone else to look for it (and show them where it is) preferably someone who does auto body work for a living and they can't find it, then you might be ready for dark paint. After you paint you'll still find some places you missed. Dark paint can be done with a roller and brush, but it's not easy and it's very time consuming.

Here are the steps I took to paint my topsides:
Degrease
Sand with 120 on an orbital
Degrease
Identify chips, nicks, scratches or cracks.
Grind out chips, nicks, scratches and cracks.
Fill with epoxy filler.
Sand filler with long board and sanding block with 80 grit. (never by hand)
Identify problem areas.
Add filler to any areas that need additional filler.
Grind out and fill additional areas found.
Sand with long board and sanding block.
Repeat as needed (at least twice more)
Degrease.
Get a friend to help paint. Roll and tip can be done but it's almost impossible alone. You have get exactly the right amount of paint on and tip it before it gets sticky. Don't let your brush load up with paint or you'll get runs at the rub rail. Use the primer coats to perfect your application technique.
Apply first coat of primer.
Wet sand with 240 and sanding block. Use a rubber squeege made for this to show you when it's smooth.
Identify and repair problem areas.
Apply 2nd coat of primer.
Wet sand with 240.
Identify and repair problem areas.
Primer / sand / primer / sand.
If you can no longer find any evidence of your repaired areas, you can now paint. If you can see your repairs now, after you paint (especially dark) you might as well hang a sign on it.
Degrease.
Paint. Let dry.
Wet sand with 400 on a sanding block and squeege. I add a little dish soap to the water. It helps the squeege glide.
Paint / wet sand 600 3 more times.
Paint.
Enjoy.

If this sounds like a lot of work, It is. It took me months of weekends to get it done.

The results.
http://groups.msn.com/baylinerbuccan...o&PhotoID=3870

http://groups.msn.com/baylinerbuccan...o&PhotoID=3905
Old 02-20-2008

chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough
US27- that's a nice job, and pretty boat.
Wkboarder thought sanding the old paint would a "hell of a job" I doubted he would want to do the work REQUIRED on a dark hull.

On the other hand, he could camoflage it, or do a partridge family bus paint job (those of you that are too young to know what that is missed Susan Dey when she was good).
Old 02-20-2008
Midwest Puddle Pirate

US27inKS has a spectacular aura about US27inKS has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucklesR View Post
US27- that's a nice job, and pretty boat.
Wkboarder thought sanding the old paint would a "hell of a job" I doubted he would want to do the work REQUIRED on a dark hull.

On the other hand, he could camoflage it, or do a partridge family bus paint job (those of you that are too young to know what that is missed Susan Dey when she was good).

I think you're right. If he thought sanding once was a big job, then I'll bet he goes no further than stip / sand / polyglow if even that.

There's a guy at our club who's been working up to a paint job. He wants a dark blue hull. The more he works the lighter he thinks he'll paint it. Especially when I can point out his filler work from across the parking lot.
Old 02-20-2008

capt.stu is on a distinguished road
painting boat

I've redone two Thistles [ 17ft ] Used interlux. One blue one white. White two part self leveled from foam roller and looked better than spray job. Blue was more work, had to be tipped off with brush to get bubbles out.
The prep for both was grueling. sanding filling, sanding primer, and multiple coats. never again
Old 02-20-2008
17' siren sailor

Wkboarder222 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to Wkboarder222
Thanks for all the quick replies. I guess ill just go white if that is the easier route. I forgot to mention how chulky my boat is, when you rub your hand on the side, you get a blue chulk on your hands. The paint on the top deck is fine, ill just wax it. I'm trailin her down to the keys for spring break in a couple of weeks.. mar 10. and i wanted to get her in the best shape for the trip. i go to school at UF and was plannin on trailin her back to tampa for the paint job this weekend. I guess ill have to go back both weekends before the trip to get her in tip top shape. but What brand white paint and primer should i go with? cheaper better, but quility is more important thanks again!

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.