SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (sailing related) (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/)
-   -   How do i find out my boats gross weight? (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/40754-how-do-i-find-out-my-boats-gross-weight.html)

Stevyboy 02-20-2008 01:26 PM

How do i find out my boats gross weight?

Howdy, I'm new to sailing and I'm in search of my boats gross weight because I need to tow the thing on a trailer (I know I'd rather sail it too but it just doesn't seem safe for me yet). So anyways the only information I've come across is the boats displacement weight, which is 5400 Lbs.

Is that the actual weight? or does that mean something else? Can anyone enlighten me?

Steve

camaraderie 02-20-2008 01:32 PM

Displacement is generally the weight of the boat before you put anything on it like fuel, water, provisions outboard etc. so add some to the displacement to estimate tow weight!

Stevyboy 02-20-2008 03:07 PM

thanks

Thanks for that. Does anyone know of any good services that tow boats in california? I have an 2003 F250 but I'm trying to figure out if its worth buying a trailer and then selling it after I'm done useing it or if it would be better to just tow the boat.

Steve

sailortjk1 02-20-2008 03:13 PM

The trailer would probably pay for itself over time.
I would (If its in your budget) buy the trailer and than use it.
Its nice to be able to trailer your boat to differnt locations.

max-on 02-20-2008 04:18 PM

This "listed" displacement weight by the builder is usually the "design" displacement not the "actual" displacement weight as built, so keep that in mind when estimating the weight, and as Cam said it is the weight before items are added to the boat.

chucklesR 02-20-2008 05:39 PM

Don't forget the weight of the trailer when calculating total weight.

Some marina's have scales on their travel lifts - the only way to get an accurate weight is to weigh it as it.

David Gerr (author) has some excellent rules of thumb that have a lot of charts and pictures and formula's - if all you need is a estimate add 1/3 when you think the boat is basically empty.

sailingdog 02-20-2008 08:15 PM

If you have a place to put the trailer, it would make sense to buy one, since you could use it to store the boat, and also to work on the boat in the off season, rather than paying a marina. Of course, since you're in California, you'll have less reason and less off season than those of us in New England. :)

Cruisingdad 02-20-2008 09:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by max-on (Post 269169)
This "listed" displacement weight by the builder is usually the "design" displacement not the "actual" displacement weight as built, so keep that in mind when estimating the weight, and as Cam said it is the weight before items are added to the boat.

I have found that the listed weight of a boat is generally VASTLY different from reality (with the boat being many thousands heavier in reality). I totally agree with you Max-on. And yes, the travel lift is probably the best way to weigh the boat - assuming it is working on the lift you use.

- CD

Stevyboy 02-21-2008 02:05 AM

Thanks for all of the help guys. I'm going check with the marina's around here to see which one's have a scale and whanot. The boat is a Cal 27 and its displacement weight is 5400 LBS. and i think the ballast weight was at 2300 LBS. I was just wondering if the boat weighed less then 7000 LBS. I just need a solid guess on what the weight is so i can figure out what type of trailer I need to buy, rent or borrow.

Does anyone know of any company's that haul boats?

Steve

Stillraining 02-21-2008 02:21 AM

You would not

Add the two togather..Displacement will include the ballast weight..

Dudley Trucking...great people