SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (sailing related) (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/)
-   -   Finally getting to charter a boat tomorrow... Gale force winds forecast! (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/40820-finally-getting-charter-boat-tomorrow-gale-force-winds-forecast.html)

labatt 02-22-2008 08:09 PM

Finally getting to charter a boat tomorrow... Gale force winds forecast!

So we're out in Torrance CA for a couple of days and we just set up a day charter on a Catalina 400 (We're slumming... although it does have a BBQ :P). They can't let us out if there's a small craft advisory, and I just checked the weather - Gale force winds and seas to 20 ft predicted as a storm builds up around the area in the afternoon. I just can't win!!!!! Arghhhh!!!! I'm not 100% sure I picked the right region for the forecast but I think I did. Well, maybe the storm will veer off and we'll be OK... Yeah right... We so need to get out sailing...

sailingdog 02-22-2008 08:12 PM

What a disappointment it must be, sailing on a Catalina... :) I take it you'll be sitting at the dock, barbequing on the grill. :)

Freesail99 02-22-2008 08:20 PM

Look at it this way, once and for all you can prove or disprove if the Catalina is a bluewater boat (g)

Stillraining 02-22-2008 08:22 PM

Hay

Im ready to break the grill out with the boat still on the hard...I feel your pain..

labatt 02-22-2008 08:33 PM

Seriously... I told the charter company that sailing doesn't get fun until the small craft warning comes out... they agreed, but apparently the insurance company doesn't agree too. I'd ask for tips on the best way to sail a Catalina, but I'm not sure anyone actually knows the answer to that :D

starboardyacht 02-22-2008 08:34 PM

Go South Young Man.............

beer boy,
a catalina would be just fine in the correct location...... 80 and sunny in south fla............... boats with training wheels (tri's) are all over the place down here going where no one else can......... we are heading out for the marquiases tomorrow.... 10-15 out of the southeast.......... should be a close reach for about 5 hours, drop sail at about sunset then build a bon fire on a small island, drink mount gay and howl at the full moon.........
cheers

Faster 02-22-2008 08:37 PM

Labatt...it's been less than 1/2 hour.. You know CD is going to come along soon.:) Then you can get the BBQ tips (ie how to keep it lit at the dock in a gale)

labatt 02-22-2008 09:29 PM

Does zippo actually make BBQs? And we should put an APB out for CD - it's been at least 10 minutes!

sailingdog 02-23-2008 01:20 AM

CD's probably trying to put together a video of how to sail a Catalina in gale force winds... and failing.

TStein 02-23-2008 02:07 AM

Sounds like it's time you "Busta Move"