Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-26-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Just curious... since I seriously doubt that you've owned this boat all 35 years of its life, how do you know it is in "good condition"???

The trip from SFO to the Channel Islands is about 300 nm as the crow flies. That's at least four days of sailiing on a Cal 27. Given your level of experience and the boat in question, it isn't something I'd recommend.

Trailers for sailboats, especially keelboats, aren't all that common, and finding one to borrow to move your boat with is pretty unlikely, unless you know someone with the same boat.

The trailer for a Cal 27 is a pretty substantial thing as well... so you'd need a pretty hefty tow vehicle to move the boat and trailer... I know... I just moved one for a friend of mine and we had to use another friend's Superduty F350 to do it. The boat alone is over 7000 lbs., and the trailer is easily another 1500 lbs or so.

Do you have someplace to store the boat in the Channel Islands??? If not, why are you moving it there?? If you really need it in the Channel Islands, you'd be best off hiring someone to move the boat down to Santa Barbara and then doing the hop across to the islands yourself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevyboy View Post
Yeah, that was my first plan was to sail the boat down, but I've only been sailing for a 4-5 months (I'm 22 years old).

I thought the boat would be able to do the trip, its a 1973 Cal 27, in good condition with a strong 15 horse suzuki 4 stroke outboard.

I think I might still make the trip but I think it might be best if i brought someone a long that knew what they were doing on the open water considering I've only sailed my boat about 3 miles from its port.

Any suggestions??

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.

Last edited by sailingdog; 02-26-2008 at 07:38 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-26-2008

Stevyboy is on a distinguished road
howdy again...

Yeah, I've only owned the boat for 4 months, but I have had some experienced sailors take a look at the boat and they have all given me the thumbs up on it. I know the trip is pretty extensive, and I was only planning on sailing it port to port to make sure the boat can handle the next days weather and water conditions. I'm also going to haul the boat out of water and do a double check on the boat before we leave, I mean, if we leave. It's all in speculation right now considering if I can get someone experienced to help. Also I'm not actually going to keep my boat in Channel Islands, I just said that because I figured most people on the site new Channel Islands better then Oxnard or Ventura. Thats where I'm going to keep the boat and I know there are plenty of slips available. And if i possibly can find a trailer to trailer it with I personally have a 2003 F250 Superduty with a towing capasity of 14,000. Or thats what I read. Basically I know the truck can do it.

The sail sounds really fun and I'd love to do that, but of course I'm going to be careful not to take on something like this trip if its out of my hands.

Thanks for all the advice though. I've been looking craigslist all up and down california and I haven't found anyone that is lending out there services, maybe its just too early in the general sailing season.

Thanks again guys. Also, if I were to take this journey in this boat what are some things I should look into on the boat itself to make sure she's sea worthy?

Steve
Old 02-26-2008

daren23 is on a distinguished road
Hello,
I live in Richmond (East Bay) and have a boat at Marina Bay. Dudley Yacht Transport is the big one people around here seem to use, but when you hear how much they charge you may start to think harder about sailing the boat down. If you just harbor-hopped and took your time, picking your weather windows carefully, you might have a great time and learn a lot. Good luck.
Old 02-26-2008
Ventilation Guy

harryhoratio is on a distinguished road
Hey Bay Sailor,

We live in Chico but the boat lives in Emery Cove. I have made the Channel Island trip 4 times and would recommend that you can do it if you will be patient for the weather windows. Especially around Point Conception.

Rigging and steering would be the determining conditions checks for me. That is assuming she will float even if she gets knocked around a bit.

Have you checked Lattitude 38 classifieds for trailers or crew lists? Great ressource for all things sailing.
Old 02-26-2008

swadiver is on a distinguished road
Steve,

Welcome, I slip my boat at Shoreline Marina, Long Beach soon to move to Alamitos Bay, Long Beach. Not sure how available slips are in the Ventura or Oxnard area buy I used to do alot of diving out of there and the marinas are nice. I do know there is a six month to a year wait to get into Long Beach and your vessel must be 30' or greater. Good luck with moving your boat down south.

Long Beach, Ca.
s/v Namaste - 86 Catalina 30 , Tall Rig

The optimist expects the wind. The pessimist complains about the wind. The realist adjusts the sails.
Old 02-26-2008
1987 Pearson 27

Joel73 has a spectacular aura about Joel73 has a spectacular aura about Joel73 has a spectacular aura about
Steve... you mention hauling the boat to double check things. I was just curious.. has your boat has had a marine survey recently?? If i were in your shoes i would get some professional advice on your standing rigging, engine and other critical items like the stuffing box and through-hulls. I'm not sure of the area since i'm an east coaster but i would agree with others that you would probably be fine as long as you pay close attention to the weather. Good luck! Oh... and welcome to Sailnet!

Old 02-26-2008

daren23 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevyboy View Post

Thanks again guys. Also, if I were to take this journey in this boat what are some things I should look into on the boat itself to make sure she's sea worthy?

Steve
The first thing is to keep the water out and the boat upright. Therefore I would haul her out and check the keel. See what kind of shape the keelbolts are in and if they need to be tightened, and see if there's any separation of the keel from the hull. Also check your thru-hull fittings and make sure they're all ball valve-type seacocks, not old gate valves. Check the rudder and post, tiller, etc. Fix any freeplay, worn fittings, etc. Give her a bottom job while you're at it.
Next, check the rig. Every inch of it. Better yet, get a rigger to do it. Replace any cracked or stressed parts & make sure all your cotter pins are in good shape, etc. Be especially mindful of the chainplates and whatever they're attached to.
Take a good look at your sails, running rigging and hardware such as blocks, sheaves, traveler, vang, etc. etc.
Check the condition of the stanchion bases, if they have backing plates, if the fiberglass around them is cracked, etc. and fix them.
Take a hose and spray all your portlights & hatches to see if they leak. If they do, fix them.
Make sure your non-skid does it's job when wet and if not redo it.
Get your outboard serviced and make sure your fuel tank is clean.
Basically you want to look at everything and fix whatever isn't right.
Old 02-26-2008

GeorgeB is on a distinguished road
My boat is based out of Alameda on the Estuary side. I’m not sure that you will find a cheap way to deliver a Cal 27 down the coast. Most people who have trailers probably dry sail their boats so there isn’t going to be a ready supply plus you would have to some custom tailoring to get your boat to fit on the trailer. I’m not sure of the horsepower you would need to drive over the hills on Hwy 101 down to Oxnard, but definitely you will need good trailer brakes.

Fall is the easiest time to move a boat down the coast. Spring can be windy, as can summer. Expect fog (I have had to do a radar approach to Morrow Bay in mid July). It is relatively easy to harbor hop from SF to HMB, Santa Cruz and Monterey. It is an overnighter from there to Morrow. Then a day to Santa Barbara followed by a day to Oxnard. Now, I'm probably biased, but I’ve never had a peaceful transit down the Central Coast – Big waves, big wind and fog. In fact, rounding Conception was a bit anticlimactic despite its nickname as the “Cape Horn of California”. Can you do it? Sure, with proper boat and crew preparation and a little weather routing. Make sure that you can navigate safely in fog and that your electrical system can keep up with your energy needs. Make sure your sails, rigging and engine are in good working order. Is your fuel range on the order of 100 – 150 NM? Consider bringing a jerry jug and a means to refuel at sea. Bring safety gear! It can be rough out there and help can be more than a few hours away (got a good VHF?). Despite all my admonishments, this is a great trip. Just don’t be tied to a schedule and wait for good weather. (We once left the boat for a week in Morrow when we couldn’t get around San Simeon.

Last weekend I had an opportunity to visit the CMA campus while attending a safety a sea seminar. What a great facility! They even opened up the bridge simulator for us on Saturday evening. Quite a thrill “driving” a USCG type surf rescue boat through simulated gales and hurricanes on the Bay!

Last edited by GeorgeB; 02-26-2008 at 06:10 PM.