Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-25-2008

artbyjody is just really nice artbyjody is just really nice artbyjody is just really nice artbyjody is just really nice
No Tin for Flicka or other HO - something new...

I merely provide the link:

http://www.popsci.com/gear-gadgets/a...02/wave-runner

If it wasn't for the Japanese name, I would of posted either the postal inspector bio, a movie star profile - or gasp - blog of a janitor - however the sailor in question sailed a boat built of beer cans I think in 1999....

Interesting to say the least...........

Best summarized with: "Look ma, my sailboat can SWIM"

S/V "
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
" -
1983, Barberis Show 38! or
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by artbyjody; 02-26-2008 at 12:02 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-26-2008

Simon123 is on a distinguished road
I'm not as interested in it as a means of propulsion but I wonder if anyone has looked seriously at wave action as a means of electricity generation. A free floating system would be ideal if it could be deployed at anchor, where a towed water gen is useless, and used to supplement solar energy, it should be fairly quiet, using a floating magnetic collar and a vertical submerged pin to generate the magnetic fields.
Old 02-26-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
And I though Rick had an ugly boat:

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 02-26-2008

artbyjody is just really nice artbyjody is just really nice artbyjody is just really nice artbyjody is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog View Post
And I though Rick had an ugly boat:

SD I thought that would be up your bag as it has eh... training hulls....very skinny ones...

S/V "
" -

Old 02-26-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon123 View Post
I'm not as interested in it as a means of propulsion but I wonder if anyone has looked seriously at wave action as a means of electricity generation. A free floating system would be ideal if it could be deployed at anchor, where a towed water gen is useless, and used to supplement solar energy, it should be fairly quiet, using a floating magnetic collar and a vertical submerged pin to generate the magnetic fields.
Actually in NYC they have such a project going as well as out here in the PNW.... both projects cost grossly sums of money and both have yet to meet there project goals as of yet...but we pay for hope don't we (Kinda like we pay for 3.40 a gallon gas hoping it doesn't become 3.90 next week)...

S/V "
" -

Old 02-26-2008
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Umm, I have a trimaran, which is a bit sleeker than most catamans will ever hope to be... More like Rick or Chuckles turf here. They've got two-thirds of a real boat too...
Quote:
Originally Posted by artbyjody View Post
SD I thought that would be up your bag as it has eh... training hulls....very skinny ones...

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Old 02-26-2008
Thanks Courtney.

T34C has a spectacular aura about T34C has a spectacular aura about T34C has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog View Post
Umm, I have a trimaran, which is a bit sleeker than most catamans will ever hope to be...
A comment that could only be made by the owner of a trimaran. The rest of us are thinking, "Sleek???? Hmmmmmm...."

I would like to draw everyones attention to SD saying he almost has a "real" boat!!!!!!
Old 02-26-2008

chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough
Yet another opportunity for teaching the wonderbrains of sailnet about boats.

MultiHulls (such as a catamaran) have multiple hulls.

Trimarans have ONE hull and two ama's (hence they are actually mono-hulls).
They are classified as multihulls ONLY because owners of lead mine monohulls don't want to have to race against them and are nomenclature stupid when it comes to anything they don't have.

If anything Hories homebuilt boats (while not pretty) prove the ultimate stability and functionality of catamarans, something anyone would appreciate if they did a useful study.

I can appreciate a gracefull sheer and nice lines of a well designed monohull - why is it monohull owners can't admit a Catamaran has a good purpose and is in fact a good alternative ? Other than a decided case of hull envy I can't see any reason.

buy another hull and let me know when you have a fullboat.

(sorry TB, they made me break my promise to you).
Old 02-26-2008

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about
The NYC project consists of very conventional propellor-drive generators, set on pylons in the East River. (Which is a flooded estuary, not a river, with heavy reversing tides.)

So far they've managed to flood one unit, break the blades off two more, and do a lot of expensive lab science while generating some power. Seems like physically building the generators strong enough to keep them working for any length of time has been beyond the folks who got the contract to do it.
Old 02-26-2008
Thanks Courtney.

T34C has a spectacular aura about T34C has a spectacular aura about T34C has a spectacular aura about
Chuckles- So, a trimaran is really a monohull with floaties???? Interesting.

If a boat is, "a hole in the water into which money is thrown", are the owners of Cats, and Tri's considered multi-holers?