SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Out the Gate with Keelhaulin

2K views 15 replies 10 participants last post by  T34C 
#1 · (Edited)
Lovely day for a sail, BF had to work so Keelhaulin (Russ) came instead. I have yet to meet any undesirable types, in person from Sailnet: and keelhaulin is no exception and very knowledgeable. A great day all round and more to come. I even got to have a Fosters beer, made in TX.

See less See more
#2 ·
Howdy, Looks like a good day. I live here in vallejo and also went out today. It was a great day for sailing. If you ever need a buddy to go out with let me know. I really want to sail some in the bay. I'm new to sailing and I've only sailed up here in the vallejo area. Going out of the Gate sounds pretty fun as well.

Steve

#4 · (Edited)
What nice weather we had today! My only wish was that there was a bit more wind but it was enough to sail us out the gate 4 miles or so and back in. Simon was hoping that more residual swell from the storm that went roaring through on Sat was out there; but everything had subsided. We ended the day motoring back in from Pt Blunt (Angel Island) because the sun was setting and the wind dropped down. Simon has an engine temp issue to track down; gets too warm while running 2800 RPM or above. Just a reminder Simon; your Tachometer might not be reading correct; it's possible that we were running at higher RPM. Adjust your throttle linkage and see if it will run any faster wide open (the injector pump governor will limit it at 4000). You can run the engine up to max throttle for a short time it won't overheat immediately.

If the tach is incorrect then the engine cooling might be OK as is. If the tach is correct then you need to track down the reason for the temp rise.

All in all; I'm very impressed with the E39 that Simon bought! Extremely well outfitted for cruising; nice interior, nice cockpit setup for singlehanded sailing. The primaries aft of the helm seem odd at first but it really works well to have a helm in front of the winches and traveler just ahead of the helm. An improvement would be a windward sheeting traveler so that the traveler is easy to adjust while holding the helm.

Quote of the day: "I've never had a Fosters before..." - Simon V

Made in El Paso TX...Australian for Beer? :eek:

#5 ·
What nice weather we had today! My only wish was that there was a bit more wind but it was enough to sail us out the gate 4 miles or so and back in. Simon was hoping that more residual swell from the storm that went roaring through on Sat was out there; but everything had subsided. We ended the day motoring back in from Pt Blunt (Angel Island) because the sun was setting and the wind dropped down. Simon has an engine temp issue to track down; gets too warm while running 2800 RPM or above. Just a reminder Simon; your Tachometer might not be reading correct; it's possible that we were running at higher RPM. Adjust your throttle linkage and see if it will run any faster wide open (the injector pump governor will limit it at 4000). You can run the engine up to max throttle for a short time it won't overheat immediately.

If the tach is incorrect then the engine cooling might be OK as is. If the tach is correct then you need to track down the reason for the temp rise.

All in all; I'm very impressed with the E39 that Simon bought! Extremely well outfitted for cruising; nice interior, nice cockpit setup for singlehanded sailing. The primaries aft of the helm seem odd at first but it really works well to have a helm in front of the winches and traveler just ahead of the helm. An improvement would be a windward sheeting traveler so that the traveler is easy to adjust while holding the helm.

Quote of the day: "I've never had a Fosters before..." - Simon V

Made in El Paso TX...Australian for Beer? :eek:
You really need that knot meter or something that displays you went faster than that POS Portuguese boat - yeah that shammer from Omaha,

#6 ·
Jody-

Be aware that that shammer has photoshop to load on his new laptop... I know since I PM'd him about it. :) I see a photoshopping in your future. :)

#9 ·
Probaby why Simon's never had the beer, even though he's from Oz. :)

#8 ·
I thought the Fosters made in texas was made using water that had run off through the sheep farms. Isn't that what EL PASO means (passed, and in this case - passed by sheep).

Just like any other beer, sheep piss is sheep piss no matter what color the can it comes in.

Good Pics - thanks for sharing :)

#13 ·
Didn't you get a shirt??? Besides, mine wouldn't fit you...it's not an XXXL... :)

#15 ·
Wish I had that problem.:D

Simon and I go out tomorrow to see the Maxi Cat come in, think I will bring Dos XX or Bohemia, so he can taste some real piss beer.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.