SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (sailing related) (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/)
-   -   Dual waterspouts chase sailboat (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/40913-dual-waterspouts-chase-sailboat.html)

Digiital 02-27-2008 09:22 AM

Sailboat trying to outrun twin waterspouts

Twin Tornado's At Sea Boat Try's To Out-Run Them
LiveLeak.com - Twin Tornado's At Sea Boat Try's To Out-Run Them

cjmcfall 02-27-2008 09:26 AM

Dual waterspouts chase sailboat

Saw this video yesterday, thought you all would be interested:

YouTube - Dual tornado in the sea (Waterspout)

I have been lucky enough to see one of these, but also lucky enough to be a safe distance away. Has anyone been hit by a waterspout while offshore or otherwise?

sailingdog 02-27-2008 09:33 AM

LOL... there's another post on this exact same video, from a different source... Liveleak video there...

I've asked the mods to merge the two threads... I going to call Cjmcfall waterspout and and Digiital funnel cloud from now on. :)

chucklesR 02-27-2008 09:36 AM

I saw 9 at once in the late 90's off Little Creek, Va while onboard USNS Apache.
Later we docked at the Portsmouth Naval Shipyard and a tornado (F1) came down through the yard, down the dock 50 feet away from my watchstation, and then went across the river and blew a substation.

PBzeer 02-27-2008 09:39 AM

I'm thinking I'd be more inclined to run at a right angle, than trying to stay ahead of them. Hopefully, a choice I'll never need to make.

camaraderie 02-27-2008 09:51 AM

Merged two threads on same topic.

sailingdog 02-27-2008 10:17 AM

This is a good idea... especially since they're running parallel tracks, and probably can move much faster than the sailboat... it would probably really suck to get caught between the two. :)
Quote:

Originally Posted by PBzeer (Post 272782)
I'm thinking I'd be more inclined to run at a right angle, than trying to stay ahead of them. Hopefully, a choice I'll never need to make.

Digiital 02-27-2008 10:51 AM

Sorry folks, didn't realize that it had been posted. Should have searched to make sure.

I'm no pro(just got my boat last yr). But lets see if I got this right, of course take down the sails asap. Start the engine and don't try to outrun downwind.

Would it be wise to put up a storm jib if you have one ?

jzk 02-27-2008 10:54 AM

I saw waterspouts in Florida on two occasions. One was off Ft. Lauderdale, and the other when we were anchored near Eliot Key.

sailingdog 02-27-2008 11:00 AM

You guys posted close to simultaneously. :)

If you're dealing with conditions that generate tornadoes... I don't think having any sail or canvas up is a good idea. Taking down your dodger and bimini would probably be wise too.

Heading downwind, say 120 degrees off the wind, instead of dead downwind is probably your best bet... it gives you some lateral movement away from their path, but also maximizes the time you have to run... going perpendicular to the wind sounds like a good idea initially, but after some thought I realized that it will screw you if one of the tornadoes veers, since you'll be significantly closer to it then.

P.S. Thanks Cam
Quote:

Originally Posted by Digiital (Post 272820)
Sorry folks, didn't realize that it had been posted. Should have searched to make sure.

I'm no pro(just got my boat last yr). But lets see if I got this right, of course take down the sails asap. Start the engine and don't try to outrun downwind.

Would it be wise to put up a storm jib if you have one ?